Your First Anime

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
Vampire Hunter D, saw it on Sci Fi channel way back when in the early 90s when they used to play anime on Saturday mornings

Nevar18

Sep 4, 2009
not counting generics (Pokemon, DBZ) CardCaptor Sakura

Toonami on Cartoon Network atleast 10 years ago

I just keep falling deeper into the dark pit of random Anime

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
1)Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
2)My cousins were huge fans, and they told me about it.
3)No, I didn't see the whole thing till I got the box set a few years later, for christmas, and didn't see it all until me and a friend marathoned it to celebrate the end of our first year of high school. What followed was a hailstorm of anime, if my memory continues to serve it was, in order, Kannazuki No Miko (this series was the powder, Wing was the spark, the others are the keg), Black Cat, Lucky Star, Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory, Shattered Angels, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Various Hayao Miyazaki works, also Akira, Super Dimension Fortress Macross\Robotech, and most recently Chrono Crusade. Gundam Wing started all of that.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Mray3460 said:
My questions are these: 1) What is the first Anime you ever watched (If you've ever watched an anime), 2) How were you introduced to it, and 3) Did it make you want to watch more anime (Why or Why not)?
1. Sailor Moon.

2. I was twelve years old and randomly flipping through channels one day, when I alighted upon Cartoon Network. I hadn't watched for a while, but I'd stumbled onto the Toonami lineup...directly onto the scene Queen Beryl accuses Zoisite of deliberately disobeying orders to not harm Tuxedo Mask, and kills her for insubordination.

I had never actually seen a cartoon that had such a twist. I watched further, intrigued. I felt saddened by Zoisite's death in Malachite's arms, even though I had no idea who they were or what I was watching. Then came a scene with the Sailor Senshi, of whom I'd osmosed enough pop culture to recognize. Their lines, and the end of the episode, immediately hooked me onto the show.

3. Indirectly. Sailor Moon's original effect was to get me interested in Toonami. The anime I'd credit with introducing me into the medium as a whole are Tenchi Muyo (also Toonami), Ranma 1/2 (anime club), and Sorcerer Hunters (rented at Blockbuster). I think it was mostly the art style that attracted me at first, but I gradually watched enough that the music and characterization aspects started to intrigue me (which I noticed around the time Toonami started running Outlaw Star...).

Seno

Sep 17, 2009
My First animes were: Samurai Pizza Cats, Robotech, Mysterious cities of gold and Astro boy.
all fantastic shows for their day.

Watched them on TV.

Didnt relise they were anime at the time, but i recognised the art style every time a new anime came out. Been watching anime now for about 23 years.

Nov 11, 2008
DBZ or more commmenly know the show that takes ten episodes for one fricken fight.

Blyyr

Oct 3, 2008
My first Anime had to be Dragonball Z, but the first one I actually watched and enjoyed was... Fooly Cooly, or FLCL, and then Cowboy Bebop, now me and my friends group are all into anime, just because we can.

N-Sef

Jun 21, 2008
Patlabor. For the longest time I had no idea what it was, until I researched keywords I remember from the movie. I still love it.

Gardenclaw

Jul 12, 2009
1) Fist of the North star
2) Drunk at a party and it was on in the background but i thought it was pretty cool
3) Yeah, As it turns out loads of friends were into it without me knowing so have borrowed some and it's sweeeeet.

Gardenclaw

Jul 12, 2009
Seno said:
My First animes were: Samurai Pizza Cats, Robotech, Mysterious cities of gold and Astro boy.
all fantastic shows for their day.

Watched them on TV.

Didnt relise they were anime at the time, but i recognised the art style every time a new anime came out. Been watching anime now for about 23 years.
I used to watch both samurai pizza cats and cities of gold. Both were awesome but i never thought of them as anime.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
1)Dragonball Z
2)Toonami
3)yeah, but I was like 8 at the time. I look back on DBZ now and wonder how it got me to want to watch it.

Twitchycat

Jul 15, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
YOU'RE?

1. Dragon Ball Z (EDIT: also watched the AKIRA movie around the same time)
2. I dont remember, i think everyone else was watching it...i was about 10 or 11 at the time.
3. No, once i lost interest in DB i completely lost interest in anime altogether.
Yeah, DBZ was pretty horrible. Death Note was surprisingly good. Full Metal Alchemist was about 3/5. Naruto was possibly one of the worst anime series I have ever seen. Fooly Cooly was pretty crappy too. Blood, Hellsing, scryed, etc. are pretty mediocre as well.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
1. Pokemon
2. It was popular, I did it. Strangely I did not become popular as well.
3. Not particularly because at the time I had no idea that Japan or Anime existed.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I honestly can't remember too well, but I think it may have been 1. Samurai Pizza Cats 2. Because it was on the channel I always watched 3. I'm not sure it if made me like amime more, but I think I did enjoy the show.