Your First Anime

Generator

May 8, 2009
1. Pokemon
2. I think it was just on one day, my sister was watching it, and I decided to, too.
3. No, not really. I watched some Yu-Gi-Oh after it (Shut up! So did you!), but I never really got particularly into an anime.

StercusCaput

Sep 12, 2009
Does Star Blazers count as anime? I think so... I was like six the first time I saw Star Blazers on cable tv and I loved it. I still like sci-fi anime to this day. Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop are my favorite. G-Force and Voltron are good too, but I like my stuff a little grittier now that I am grown up.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
(1) One Piece, but that just on Toonami. Not bad but not great, what with 4kids an'-what-not.
(2) What I'd prefer to call my first anime(Subbed anime) would be Azumanga Daioh.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
dragonballz, and because it was on cheese-tv during those times i actually got up early enough to watch cheese-tv, and not really... i mean, i watch other anime now (bleach especially, and death note) but i don't really see me liking them as being any way linkied to me watching dragonballz...

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
Mray3460 said:
My questions are these: 1) What is the first Anime you ever watched (If you've ever watched an anime), 2) How were you introduced to it, and 3) Did it make you want to watch more anime (Why or Why not)?
1) Dragonball Z or Pokémon, can't quite remember which came first. Think it was Pokémon.
2) I was young, and it was the coolest thing around.
3) No. I don't want to judge the entire genre in one simple post, but I tend not to be a big fan of it. Aside from the fact that there's too much hyperactive fanbois of it around, I'm generally not interested that much in cartoons for grown-ups.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
First was probably DBZ or Pokemon, as a kid. They were on television.

After that, I've downloaded some Naruto, Hunter x Hunter, One Piece, Hellsing, Berserker, and Cowboy Bebop, mainly because everywhere I went on teh internets, people were rambling about anime. They were all pretty stupid. Not a lot of the characters act even remotely the same way a (western) person would. I guess I'm trying to watch it as if it wasn't just a cartoon.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
1. I'm not counting Pokemon. My memory is pretty fuzzy but it was either the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya or Death Note. Pretty sure it was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
2. Saw some episodes on Youtube based on recommendations on some random forum and then torrented the series.
3. Hell yeah. I don't even have a TV anymore and just watch anime on my computer now. Since that first series, I've seen over 30 anime series, some short, some long.
Mray3460 said:
an Albino African American Anime Otaku
You don't know how awesome that sounds.

cloudywolf13

Jul 6, 2009
1)DBZ
2)It was on TV, I was five, I watched it.
3)I didn't even know the difference between anime and other cartoons back then. It had nothing to do with my current addiction.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
1. After Robotech? My first official anime was Project A-ko.
2. At my highschool.
3. Yes. I wanted to see how it ended and it hooked me into other titles (Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo).

Nullphantom

Sep 3, 2009
1) Either Tenchi Muyo or Sailor Moon, I was like 6 ok and I thought all the girls were hot.....

2) Just randomly turned the TV on while waiting for something else I can't remember, then I watched it every day until it was over and cried since they took it off the air. (stupid Cartoon Network)

3) Not at that time. I watched DBZ afterward and drooled over that until the end of Cell Saga. Then about a year ago I realized at least 1/2 of TV sucked and decided to watch anime including: Bleach, Naruto, Haruhi Suzumiya, Sekirei, Love Hina, Lucky Star and oh so many more.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
1)Either The Little Prince, Kimba The White Lion, or this show about a kid and his big white dog that I can't remember the name of, or Astroboy
2)I was like 6 or 7 at the time, watching cartoons was like one of my favourite things to do, of course at the time I didn't know what anime was. It was animated that made it a cartoon as far as I was concerned.
3)No. I repeat I didn't even know what anime was at the time. In fact I don't think I ever heard the term until Jr. High School when Sailor Moon came out.

Edit: Yes I know anime is not cartoons, but I didn't know that when I was like 6 or 7.

blankblankblank

Sep 14, 2009
1. Trigun
2. Found it on adult swim
3. Yes, in fact I'm working on expanding what I watch right now. I've seen about 5 movies, got pretty into Bleach, and I am working through Samurai Champloo right now with netflix.

Seno

Sep 17, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
1)Either The Little Prince, Kimba The White Lion, or this show about a kid and his big white dog that I can't remember the name of, or Astroboy
2)I was like 6 or 7 at the time, watching cartoons was like one of my favourite things to do, of course at the time I didn't know what anime was. It was animated that made it a cartoon as far as I was concerned.
3)No. I repeat I didn't even know what anime was at the time. In fact I don't think I ever heard the term until Jr. High School when Sailor Moon came out.

Edit: Yes I know anime is not cartoons, but I didn't know that when I was like 6 or 7.
LOL at the lion king totally steal its idea from kimba the white lion....infact it didnt just steal its ideas it basically copy/pasted it and the made the art a little disnyer.

Osloq

Mar 9, 2008
I'm not going to count Dragonball Z or Pokemon.

1. Berserk

2. A friend of mine is really into all facets of Japanese culture and is especially interested in Anime. Seriously he's got mountain loads of the stuff around his house. Anyway he'd been pestering me for a while about watching some and because my only prior experience was DBZ/Pokemon I was pretty dubious about the whole thing. He finally convinced me and I watched the first episode at his house and from then on I was hooked onto Berserk. It was about a million times more violent than anything I'd seen before and every episode something happened, as opposed to DBZ where the two enemies would eye ball each other for 20 episodes.

3. I do occasionally watch some anime but only a few of the very best (in my opinion): Cowboy Bebop, GTO, Berserk, Trigun, Akira, Airgear and Hellsing so far. Most of the other stuff I find irritating because it doesn't really seem to change much between series and is the same characters copy pasted into a different origin story and location. Not sure if you count Studio Ghibli's work in your question but I love all of Miyazaki's work, especially Princess Monoke which was the first Anime movie I watched

JonasBrothersSuck

Aug 25, 2008
Aside from the standby kiddie shows (pokemon, YuGiOh, etc.)
Mine was Code Geass, reccommended by a friend. It was followed shortly by Rosario Vampire.

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
1) Evangelion
2) My brother showed it too me when I was like 7 or 8, at the time I thought it was just bad ass giant robots fighting aliens with a cool penguin.
3) Yeah, I'm pretty much an otaku as far as how much anime I watch, minus the stereotypical creepy obsession. Pretty much instead of watching regular American TV programming, I watch anime instead. I'm more into series with great character development and deep stories now though. Comedy's always good too. Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile stand out in my mind at the moment.

Actually my first was probably Voltron, same appeal though as a child.

zombiekingj

Aug 5, 2009
Televison: voltron and astro boy
First anime movie was vampire hunter d, the oringinal not the blood lust sequal and akira...saw D around 3am one night and 4 days afterward I felt changed, empty stayed up late for the entire rest of the week with hope it would be on again...sadly it wasnt. but the clouds parted when the local movie rental place started to carry anime right shortly after I seen D. were I rented it I think for a week before buying my own copy which I still have to this day.

RooftopAssassin

Sep 13, 2009
None!

I haven't ever actually watched cartoons Anime. I kind of skipped that stage, I went strait for comedies, comedians, and Will Smith movies.

I think if I actually sat down and watched one I might thoroughly enjoy it, all my friends seem to like them.