your hipster thing

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
I was playing video games before it was cool. (true story have been gamer since age of 3)

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
The way I see it, nerds are the ultimate hipsters, except minus the pretentiousness. THINK ABOUT IT. Nerds did EVERYTHING before it was cool. That hipster might have wore those big nerdy glasses before they were cool, but those nerds wore those nerdy glasses before even the hipster thought they were cool! Face it, in a way, all hipster just really want to be nerds, but have too low of selfesteem to become complete nerds; ironic in a way. Nerd > Hipster

(I love reading too much into things)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I wear hipster glasses, you know the kind... Yeah, those.

My hair is also shaggy and I haven't shaved in three days. In terms of looks I score about a 10 on the hipster scale.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I had mac in the early nineties, and I didn't even like it.

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
Zombie_Fish said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Zombie_Fish said:
I play bass. I'm too indie for six strings.
Bah. Two-string fretless is the way to go.

...Or it was, until Mark Sandman did it, sold a couple of records, and made it too mainstream for me.
This is why you should go for the three-string approach with bass. How many bassists are there that play three strings?

And that is definitely why I only have three strings. It's not like my bottom string broke and I can't be bothered to buy a new one or something.
Um..mark sandman also played a 3 string, and i think your both missing the point.
All strings have all notes (that why he started with one).But he used a slide and tuned the stings to harmony(a lot like a bass version of the diddly-bo which someone like seasick Steve would use).

P.S. indie music = independent(labels) music e.g the beta band,flaming lips,(experimental bands) etc.
indie pop/rock = odd/unpopular aesthetics played in conventional song structure e.g. crystal castles, black lips, the smiths

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I love me some good old pirate games. Especially this one.

I am also the old person I know who is both a huge enthusiast of both Japanese idol pop and obscure emotional hardcore screamo whatever punk bands near equally. Believe me, I've looked all over last.fm, it just doesn't happen.

I'm also one of the apparently few feminists who doesn't have that big of a problem with lolicon. One of the few people on the planet who are okay with lolicon and shotacon material as it is. Much less a feminist, apparently. I have plenty of both male and female real life friends who are pretty out in the open that they like lolicon and shotacon materials, and most of my female friends are fans of shotacon yaoi of some kind. But they're also healthy, sane individuals that pose no threat to children. And that's all that matters. Shotacon is reeeeeeally popular within the yaoi community, by the way. Oh, and I don't think that moe is necessarily sexist either, and frequently defend it. Go me. I think.

I am a far leftist who listens to lots of nationalistic, far right, European pride music. Go figure.

I'm a big fan of the guys in Visual Kei. But I generally prefer to listen to non-visual kei groups when it comes to Japanese rock. To be honest while I love the guys, I find most of the music coming out of the visual kei "genre" to be quite atrocious.

I'm a bisexual, but I don't find the cause of sexuality to be %100 biological.

I'm probably one of the few supermassive Tales of Symphonia fans within the My Little Pony fandom.

I'm into fat women and I think they're very beautiful, but I'm not into large boobs.

Yup, I do some pretty rare things, it would seem.

Matthew Kjonaas

Jun 28, 2011
I am just an all round uncommon person since I am not understood bye other people and they end up being my friend or thinking I am weird.
I also will give most games a chance since I own FPS, RTS, RPG, fighting, and platformer but no sports.
I wear some of these shirts http://www.imaginaryfoundation.com/index.php?mode=default

Dr Namgge

Oct 21, 2009
In terms of gaming hipster, I don't care for COD or any other FPS. I also haven't played any of the Elder Scrolls series, am not overly fond of sandbox games, and generally get no joy out of violence or horror. So most games that most people are fawning over and going "yes I want this game" I'm sat there going "meh" and then wandering off to play some old platformer from the mid nineties.

In terms of actual hipster, I have a beard (though that's more to compensate for the lack of head hair), and that's about it. I don't have so much an obscure taste in music, but rather I just tend to like stuff that isn't popular. Not the underground indie bands, just bands that nobody has heard of because most my music came from games, hence most my non-gaming friends haven't heard of them.

adrakonis

Feb 27, 2010
Well, I don't like Bethesda games. (I used too, but that's all past)

I like to read some childrens books.
I like fantasy, but Lord of the Rings sucks (and all imitators), Also China Mièville is an awesome writer.

I like to make people think I listen to really weird music (I do, but not as much as I make people believe)

I dismiss most stories that I don't like as bad writing.

I like bad stories with good writing.

I like to pretend I understand when I don't.

My taste is always superior.

So am I a hipster or not?

Edit: Oh yeah, when I went to the University today, I brought my walking cane and hat with me.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Don't really know....I'm a general anime fan. I like everything in that subculture. Not that much into most other things besides Japanese pop culture/games. I doubt that makes me a hipster since it's more counter-culture than subculture over here.

Oh and I'm a Greek dude, I speak Japanese and English...though I always think in Greek and I end up being philosophical when not intended due to that (Greek is a philosophically-sounding language) so I guess that's my hipster thing thing...oh and I suppose I'm what people call "foodies"...though all Greek people I know are lovers of food and eating out so I don't know how much it's that and how much I'm just genetically predisposed to being interested in cooking shows.

Oh and I have long hair, people-ask-me-to-play-guitar-in-their-bands-long. :D

Metaphysic

Jul 1, 2011
I strongly dislike most mainstream movies (Battle for LA), but love weird obscure 'boring' ones (Wrecked, The Road)and the only recent music I listen to is obscure electronic stuff (Aphex Twin, Autechre, etc) or indie/acoustic/whatever (Volcano Choir, Iron and Wine), otherwise it was likely made before '97 (lots of shoegaze and old-school techno/hardcore).
I still play my Super Nintendo and detest most mainstream games.
I wear V-neck t-shirts year round (usually cheap blank white ones but occasionally something from PacSun pr the like), skinny jeans in the winter and cut-off skinny jeans as shorts in the summer, a giant Mexican-style poncho-type jacket or a peacoat (usually a girl's cuz guys' coats are normally too big for my super tiny frame), my hair is constantly androgynous in style and two or three colours.

My friends give me a lot of crap for it all, too. >.< I do tend to dismiss a lot of things out of hand (modern 'dubstep,' and romantic comedies, as I simply never like them) and most of my taste in anything falls into the 'no one knows what it is' category. Hell, I've TRIED to like more mainstream things just to get my friends to stop calling me a hipster and it doesn't work. T.T

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
I have a soft spot for a lot of bad games: incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Lord of the Rings: the Third age, Mirror's Edge, Strangle Hold, Batman Rise of Sin Tzu, Batman Vengeance

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Fedora, jacket, and occasionally my Russian military gasmask just because it freaks people the hell out.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
I had hideous curly long hair before it was popular. And I had an ironic mustache and beard before it was ironic to have a mustache and beard.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
LilithSlave said:
I love me some good old pirate games. Especially this one.

I am also the old person I know who is both a huge enthusiast of both Japanese idol pop and obscure emotional hardcore screamo whatever punk bands near equally. Believe me, I've looked all over last.fm, it just doesn't happen.

I'm also one of the apparently few feminists who doesn't have that big of a problem with lolicon. One of the few people on the planet who are okay with lolicon and shotacon material as it is. Much less a feminist, apparently. I have plenty of both male and female real life friends who are pretty out in the open that they like lolicon and shotacon materials, and most of my female friends are fans of shotacon yaoi of some kind. But they're also healthy, sane individuals that pose no threat to children. And that's all that matters. Shotacon is reeeeeeally popular within the yaoi community, by the way. Oh, and I don't think that moe is necessarily sexist either, and frequently defend it. Go me. I think.

I am a far leftist who listens to lots of nationalistic, far right, European pride music. Go figure.

I'm a big fan of the guys in Visual Kei. But I generally prefer to listen to non-visual kei groups when it comes to Japanese rock. To be honest while I love the guys, I find most of the music coming out of the visual kei "genre" to be quite atrocious.

I'm a bisexual, but I don't find the cause of sexuality to be %100 biological.

I'm probably one of the few supermassive Tales of Symphonia fans within the My Little Pony fandom.

I'm into fat women and I think they're very beautiful, but I'm not into large boobs.

Yup, I do some pretty rare things, it would seem.

People who call moe sexist are people who only see the sexist things that go hand in hand with it. They never truly get what you're supposed to see or feel. They see a short skirt or something like that and instantly brand it sexist without further inspection.

Moe is like the emotion you have when you see a puppy hugging a kitten that's licking a bunny, shaped in the form of a human being with usually zettai ryouiki and twintails. :D