Your home town's claim to fame

NEREVAR117

Aug 1, 2011
I was born in a medium-sized town in the middle of Arkansas, United States. Nothing remotely special or amazing has ever come from here.

Tony Schonewald

Sep 5, 2011
Bon Scott from ACDC grew up in my town, Kirriemuir, J M Barrie who wrote Peter Pan was born here, David Niven claimed he was born here for some reason even though he was born in london. I think thats it.

ArcossG

May 12, 2011
My home city is the first( and only )city in my country( Israel ) that supports video game development rather than shun it( also I am the first one there to make a video game as a final project in art school )

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
Until the southern hemisphere's biggest bar opened, my town's one and only claim to fame was being next to the suburb where tennis player Pat Rafter and pop duo The Veronicas came from. Otherwise, the suburb is notorious for being utterly feral.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
Lincoln (the UK one) was where the first tank was built. It was 26 feet long and carried 6 people at a speed of 2 mph.

My uni town of Colchester is supposedly Britain's oldest recorded town.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
bahumat42 said:
nicole1207 said:
bahumat42 said:
nicole1207 said:
Reading in England- home of the Reading Festival and the location of the old Huntley and Palmers buscuit factory. (The festival is more exciting).
We also locked up Oscar wilde in our prison. Where he wrote one of his most famous pieces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ballad_of_Reading_Gaol

Even worse is the fact we arrested him for homosexuality, shameful that we used to criminalize people for that. But such is the way of things.

Sidenote its actually surprising to find somebody localish on here ^^
OMG I totally forgot about that! We had to visit there for a history trip and everything back in the day.

I didn't think there would be anyone one the same thread from Reading! Good thing I didn't make stuff up.

Haha theres a couple of south english users on the board, but i too never realised there was somebody else from reading gracing this website ^^
I'm from the Midlands but studying down here at uni. Have to say I like this place better than Telford.

Shifty

Apr 21, 2011
George Barrow said:
My hometown Isleworth in London is where vincent van gogh lived for a while and Jimmy carr was born here
Wasnt Jimmy Carr born in Limerick? I heard him mention that once.

Crimsanon

Feb 11, 2009
North Reading, MA:

Hometown of Barack Obama's Director of Speechwriting (Jon Favreau)
Site of three separate state-news-making under-age drinking scandals between 2009-2010

Yay.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
I am from a... "farm area" (not really a farm area, but we have trees and no real shopping area) in Gothenburg area of Sweden. People 30 kilometers away does not know we exist.

Famous? I hope you're joking. If we were ever famous, no one remembers the reason for it.

A perfect place to bid my time, until I take over the world.

kinggingerman

Sep 4, 2009
Im from Weymouth in the UK and we have a few claims to fame although one of the most interesting is that the black death came to the UK through our port....yeah sorry about that UK

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
It really depends on which home town I choose. Scarisbrick where I spent my childhood years was known and feared in the medieval period for basically being a swamp and was avoided at all costs. My family has some claim to fame in the local area, where related to the Scarisbrick family and my great grandfather took the top of the spire off Scarisbrick hall because it was too tall.
Skelmersdale, where I spent my teenage years one claim too fame was that it had/has the largest roundabout in Europe if not the world.
Gloucester where I lived for a while was a Roman colony called Glevum, its also a city though its absolutely tiny with a population of around 150k. The pub next to my old flat, was called the Pig Inn the city, its actually named due to a famous event at the siege of Gloucester during the English Civil war, the Cavaliers bombarded the city for several days only killing a pig, these remains where held aloft over the cities walls as a taunt and act of defiance.

Feb 28, 2008
kinggingerman said:
Im from Weymouth in the UK and we have a few claims to fame although one of the most interesting is that the black death came to the UK through our port....yeah sorry about that UK
No kidding! I'm from Portland (which to non-natives is a penisula off the coast of there). Small world...

Well Portland is known for being the source of Portland Stone (building material for many of the world's most famous buildings: St. Paul's Cathedral, Buckingham Palace, UN Headquarters in NY).
It's also where the sailing events for the 2012 Olympics will be held.
It's also the setting for some of Thomas Hardy's novels and other fiction.
Oh and it's part of the Jurassic Coast, a UNESCO World Heritage site...

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
i live in a village with only 300 or so people in it.
they USED to hold court in the church here i guess XD?

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Where I grew up is famous for Paul Hogan, and the worst rail disaster in Australian history.

It also has four pubs! [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granville,_New_South_Wales]