Your home town's claim to fame

McDanny

Nov 19, 2009
Godalming in Surrey, England - the first town in the world to be lit by electric lighting. For some reason.

RHadley

Dec 5, 2010
Mine is Broseley, a small place in England. Our claim to fame...

We're all one big happy family

I doubt incest jokes count really, so I need to pick our real clame to fame - the town is near to the FIRST iron bridge ever built (in the town now called Ironbridger - original, huh?), and famous ironmaster - one of the first people to build an iron boat lived here. He also built himself an iron coffin, but as he grew overweight in old age, it needed enlargening upon his death.

Ranma12569

May 5, 2010
we won the award for the most dismal town last year.

besides that we don't have a claim to fame really, our town is too small for anything major to have occured here.

StarsintheBlood

Oct 12, 2010
Ridgefield Connecticut is a pretty well-known home of a lot of wealthy East-Coasters. Beautiful, safe place with a lot of colonial history, but damn if the people ain't snooty.

crossfire242

Apr 16, 2009
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
More specifically, the northwestern bit of Mississauga known as Malton.
The Avro Arrow was designed, built and later scrapped for no apparent reason here.
Also the Lester B. Pearson Intl' Airport is here as well, even though most people just figure that it's in Toronto.

X123Lewis123X

Jul 26, 2009
Kinross, Scotland, United Kingdom
Mary, Queen of Scots was held captive in the castle in the middle of our Loch, my little town actually has a lot of history with the royals and such :)

Seriin

Jun 4, 2009
I live in St.Catharines Ontario right now, and have for most of my life. There isn't much that is a claim to fame here though, it is mostly a commuter town for people who work in Niagara Falls or Toronto. However, we do have an OHL Hockey team that does well on occasion. (The team is threatening to leave if we don't build them a new arena. A new arena we've needed for years anyway). There is also a University of decent size, and the Niagara area as a whole is well-known for having many wineries. Specializing in ice wine if I recall correctly.

The most notable thing I could say is a claim to fame to people here on The Escapist is that St. Catharines is where Silicon Knights is, their building is right downtown. Dyack grew up here as well, my mom even went to high school with him. Said he was a dick back then too.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Oregon, is apparently renowned nationwide as some sort of hipster paradise, which is less annoying than you might think. Kind of funny actually. Oh, and Lewis and Clark made a few stops in the region as they neared the Pacific.

Can't think of much else. That's the problem with the West Coast--if there was any interesting history more than 200 years back, nobody remembers it, and we've pretty well done away with all the people who might have.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
The Disney story of Pocahontas is based on true events that occured partly in Gravesend, my home town. The only other claim to fame we really have is that the actress Gemma Arterton went to school here.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Huddersfield, England has PM Harold Wilson and Patrick Stewart to name but a few :)

Also, it was the birthplace of rugby league (the best kind of rugby BTW ;) )