Your most-improved sequels

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Wenseph said:
The three Muv Luv VN's. It starts with Extra, which is kind of generic and boring, gets slightly better with Unlimited and then blows most other sci-fi stories away with Alternative. It's hard to believe that the third one is part of the same thing.
I don't think that counts because I'm pretty sure that was done on purpose.

Which sounds crazy but it worked out in the end (for me at least).

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Mass Effect 2 due to the combat and the fact that the characters were developed even more.

Assassin's Creed 2 due to...obvious reasons.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
Dead Rising 2. There is a huge improvement in all levels between the original and the sequel. It was probably the pinnacle of Keiji Inafune work in Capcom.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
KoTOR2.

You were a Jedi from the start.
More force powers.
More NPCs.
More meaninful choices.
Better atmosphere.
Prestige classes.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
An overall tightening of combat, improvement of characters, deeper story and they put it on the PSP and made it look gorgeous.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Regarded as one of the best in the series, and for good reason. The implementation of a camouflage system added a new layer of stealth action, since you have to keep an eye on how visible you are. The story was engaging and the characters were greatly written and voice acted. The combat was improved from MGS2, especially the CQC aspect.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Assassins Creed II, the high point of the series for me, shame its gone a bit downhill from then but I do have high hopes for AC3.

Also Mortal Kombat 2011 is by far the best entry in the series.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Sean Hollyman said:
Mass Effect 2, the combat felt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much better. Seriously combat in ME1 felt like a disabled man trying to open a cupboard while climbing an escelator.
Channeling Yahtzee there are we?

I'd say The Darkness 2's controls and gameplay was much better than the first game.
When I get home today, I'll see if Prototype 2's gameplay has improved at all as well.

All in all, most game sequels improve on the previous game's control schemes.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
In terms of actual gameplay-affecting things, I really liked the faction system in New Vegas. It made my choices feel just that much more important. Also, and this is a bit smaller, I GREATLY enjoyed the ability to see whether or not speech challenges would succeed or fail, before you choose them. I cannot TELL you how much that frustrated me in 3.
Thats what I really liked about New Vegas. In FO3, you could actually do all the quests with one character. In NV, choices made could lock out whole questlines, practically reqiuring you to play through with multiple characters.

Also, despite all the shit about the ending and such, Mass Effect 3 was, I felt, the best in the series. Mass Effect 1 was slow and the combat was sluggish. ME2 had better combat, but dropped alot of the "open-ness" that you had in ME1. ME3 had almost a good balance with combat and RPG elements.

*Edit*

Also, while its obviously not out yet, I hope Borderlands 2 is better than 1. As much as I loved the game, Borderlands hads its share of problems.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Saints Row 2 - Improved everything from the first one. In addition, it managed to strike the perfect balance between ridiculous, serious, and badass. 1 was too serious, and 3 went babbling off to Narnia on the back of a purple pegasus. Good length, memorable characters and villains, great game.

Most of my other best sequels have already been mentioned, but I'll reiterate that Fallout: New Vegas is great.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Metal Gear Solid 2.

Reiterpallasch said:
Oh boy, you better put up your flame shield before it's too late for you.

[http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/91829-shitstorm]
COME. AT. ME. BRO.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pokemon Gold/ Silver.
While the other future series now make use of the night and day time, why is it only the Gold/ Silver (and Heartgodl and SoulSilver) game that once you beaten the Elite 4 you get to revisit Kanto (the first game)?
Ok sure the other series added a few islands (FireRed and LEaftGreen) or new explore areas within the region (Black and white) after beaten the Elite 4 but I want a revisit an old region dammit and without it being dumb down!!

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Tekken 2 to Tekken 3 was a HUGE improvement. The latter finally allowed you to get up immediately after getting floored.

I'll also be THAT guy and say Resident Evil 4 was a vast improvement over...the last Resident Evil game that came out before it. (Come at me)!

Honorable mention to Uncharted 2 over the first one.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
The second spectrobes game, the first was playable but the second was actually enjoyable.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Silent Hill 2 is a good example but really I think the sequel that improved most over its predecessor is MGS3 which made the series good again...