Your most unlucky purchase

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
VoidWanderer said:
phenomenological said:
PlayStation 3.

nuff said
I keep going to buy an Xbox 360, but I don't want to buy a system with only one game I want to play.

:p

OP: Probably Mutant X... I could tolerate bad special effects and cheesy storyline, but as soon as I heard "Tele-empathy" I hit stop and ranted to myself for 5 mins about the idiocy of the statement.
That's the exact case with PS3... there's only one game I'd play, MGS and sometimes one other per year comes out I might play, like Heavy Rain and that new one released at the E3, otherwise all the games are primarily for the 360 and some are ported to the PS3, like Call of Duty is ported and all those others. You'd be kidding yourself by looking at the coding if you didn't think those AAA games that go to both consoles are primarily made for the 360.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Mine happened yesterday, right at the beginning of the Steam Summer Sale. Naturally I was really excited about it and ready to pick up some games I had missed out on, like the 1st Indie Bundle.

But when I tried to play my purchases, I was surprised to find that even though all the games I bought would work on a Mac (which I own), my Mac is too old and shitty to run 1/2 of them. And there were some good ones in there, like The Binding of Isaac; Penumbra Collection; and The Baconing.

At least I still own them and can play them once I get a new computer.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
After years of living in an apartment below my means, saving up a new deposit and such I found one that was perfect price point with my income and signed the lease.

I was laid off from my job two weeks later.

Now that's unlucky.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
TheKruzdawg said:
Mine happened yesterday, right at the beginning of the Steam Summer Sale. Naturally I was really excited about it and ready to pick up some games I had missed out on, like the 1st Indie Bundle.

But when I tried to play my purchases, I was surprised to find that even though all the games I bought would work on a Mac (which I own), my Mac is too old and shitty to run 1/2 of them. And there were some good ones in there, like The Binding of Isaac; Penumbra Collection; and The Baconing.

At least I still own them and can play them once I get a new computer.
I still can't figure out how anyone can think those indie games are even C-class worthy.

The binding was terrible, is terrible, lack luster, and barely has anything... much like all those other games... where ever did quality and content fly off to?

ila

Jul 29, 2008
My physical copy of Persona 1 for PSP. UMD case was broken, CD case broken, box was in crappy condition. This was a new copy from the store too.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Well I once bought a copy of Call of Duty 2 for the PC for $20. Unfortunately, despite meeting the system requirements, the game would not run. Never found out why.

Purchased an unopened third party Gamecube controller at a flee market. The thing worked for 3 minutes before in started to malfunction.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Delsana said:
I still can't figure out how anyone can think those indie games are even C-class worthy.

The binding was terrible, is terrible, lack luster, and barely has anything... much like all those other games... where ever did quality and content fly off to?
Haven't been able to play any of them so I can't judge for myself. But I've heard at least decent reviews of them and for $15 between everything I bought, I don't think that's a bad deal for a little bit of risk. Maybe I'll hate them. But I spent $10 on Mirror's Edge after hearing a lot of my friends complain about it and I really like that game. So we'll see.

Ragland

May 14, 2009
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows.
For the PS2. I'd followed the development of the game with gusto. I was very excited to finally play an awesome Spider-Man game. Hadn't heard a word about console differences, so I went and bought it full price expecting a slightly less graphical Xbox 360 or PS3 version. I played through the entire game thinking it was just a long tutorial (like Kingdom Hearts 2), and would soon open up into the awesome game I'd heard about. It didn't. Credits rolled. Learned to do my research even more thoroughly.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
TheKruzdawg said:
Delsana said:

Haven't been able to play any of them so I can't judge for myself. But I've heard at least decent reviews of them and for $15 between everything I bought, I don't think that's a bad deal for a little bit of risk. Maybe I'll hate them. But I spent $10 on Mirror's Edge after hearing a lot of my friends complain about it and I really like that game. So we'll see.
Mirror's had a terrible gameplay, combat system, and really was just a presentation of its navigation and movement system... which was never used by anyone ever again.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Delsana said:
Mirror's had a terrible gameplay, combat system, and really was just a presentation of its navigation and movement system... which was never used by anyone ever again.
While I don't think the gameplay was terrible, I will concede that the combat didn't really fit into the game at all. Especially when it was forced upon you. I would have liked it much better if there was always an option to escape without combat.

And it does make me a little sad that no one else tried to run with the concept of this game. But that's business for you. They tried something new, which flopped, discouraging others from trying to replicate it.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
I Have No Idea said:
My most unlucky purchase just happened a few days ago, but didn't become truly unlucky until today. Because I am completely new to Steam (and PC gaming in general), I bought the Complete Civilization IV Pack for $30 last week, and had zero clue that Steam did a summer sale. No idea whatsoever. So imagine my sadness when I found out the news, checked Civ IV's new price, and wept: a full $15 could've been saved. But alas, the damage had been done.

So what was your most unlucky purchase?
Even worse; it'll be even cheaper at some point during this sale. Probably 75% off instead of 50% off. Steam discounts pretty much everything during the sale, but then they do even bigger discounts for specific titles (changes daily). Oh well, now you know; and knowledge is power.

Kirlac

Oct 8, 2011
I purchased the Humble Bundle V and at the same time decided to spend a few bucks getting some stuff I wanted on steam. One of those steam purchases was Braid as I had played it but didn't own it. A couple of days later Braid was added to the Humble Bundle I had already purchased so I could have downloaded it for free if I had of waited.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Delsana said:
VoidWanderer said:
phenomenological said:
PlayStation 3.

nuff said
I keep going to buy an Xbox 360, but I don't want to buy a system with only one game I want to play.

:p

OP: Probably Mutant X... I could tolerate bad special effects and cheesy storyline, but as soon as I heard "Tele-empathy" I hit stop and ranted to myself for 5 mins about the idiocy of the statement.
That's the exact case with PS3... there's only one game I'd play, MGS and sometimes one other per year comes out I might play, like Heavy Rain and that new one released at the E3, otherwise all the games are primarily for the 360 and some are ported to the PS3, like Call of Duty is ported and all those others. You'd be kidding yourself by looking at the coding if you didn't think those AAA games that go to both consoles are primarily made for the 360.
Fair call, but I would recommend you watch playthroughs of the first Uncharted game, Infamous 1 and 2, and the God of War games.

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
My purchase of Halo 3, which has a bit of a story to it.

I as all set up wanting to get the Legendary Edition, helmet and all. Even though I worked at Microsoft at the time, and employees do get discounts, they usually don't get the real nice special editions. So I went to my local retailer and preordered one.

A few weeks later, word came that employees would be allowed to get the Legendary Edition at a discount, so I dutifully cancelled my preorder and put the internal preorder.

All nice and good until a few weeks before launch they changed their minds (preorders for this edition went through the roof apparently) and decided to cancel all internal preorders.

I was left scrambling to retail trying to preorder a Legendary Edition again... to no avail.

I ended up buying Limited Edition internally at a discount, and getting the helmet on eBay at a premium. In total I ended up paying slightly more than I would have for the Legendary Edition at retail.

I'm still happy the helmet is sitting in my studio where I can watch it as I type this.

My other unlucky buy was Brutal Legend. Went for it when saw it for $30 (AUS) at Dick Smith. The disk came out defective so I sent my wife to exchange it a week later (I was busy) and lo and behold, the exchange receipt listed it for $15 (a $15 credit and then a $15 sale). Had she returned it with the original $30 receipt I would have gotten my $30 back and could have bought it again for $15. I was kind of disappointed that the store clerk did not suggest this, not sure if he could do it though.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I somehow went through life without knowing that Laserdiscs existed until I accidently bought one off eBay. The movie didn't specify the format & it just used a movie poster instead of a case. Same thing happened a year earlier when I bought an album of something I thought I was getting a CD of, luckily I have a record player, but a movie soundtrack on a record was a new one for me. 2 years before that I actually bought an album of something else, but it arrived in about 30 pieces. I've purchased tickets for both a convention & to see Bill Maher live that I missed out on due to unforseen circumstances; no refunds of course.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
The Uncharted 3 special edition.

For an extra £5 all I got was a couple of DLC items for multiplayer that I'm never going to use, and some 'Drake's Journal' style packaging that's also nigh-on impossible to get the disc out of. That's certainly the most recent game purchase that left me feeling a little hollow afterwards.

I might be inclined to add the Diablo 3 Collector's Edition, but the art book was worth the extra £30 alone, really.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
teebeeohh said:
i bought several games of steam that didn't work and later got working copies of gog. i gifted my friend with tf2 a week before it became f2p(he still insists it's the best present i ever got him).

however the worst case is not something that happened to me but a friend of mine got himself a demo version of ghost recon future soldier to check if it runs on his hardware. if worked fine but after he bought the game it kept crashing on him so often it was rendered unplayable.
Too point this out, nobody knew that it was going F2P when it did, so honestly its just you and him being unlucky.

And yes, you have a awesome, maybe trollish friend there.

Worm's Reloaded I regretted buying for the first or second week because my Video Card just started dying out and did not work for this one game so I had to spend even more money once on the video card totalled itself and got it new so I could play this one game fine again.

tobimaro

Nov 23, 2010
My worst purchase of a video game was Fester's Quest for the NES. Worst game ever.

My unluckiest purchases of hardware were the last two items that I bought from UBid. The first was for a refurbished flat-panel video monitor for my (then) desktop computer. Monitor's power supply went out after only a couple of months, and the warranty went out right about that time. The second purchase was for a generic tablet that has vastly underwhelmed me. It does not function like I hoped it would, and it is missing a part that would allow me to hook up other devices to the tablet. Needless to say that I could get more use out of it if I used it for a paper weight.

My overall worst purchases would have to be all of the money that I spent on the 4th edition of Dungeons and Dragons. I had a blast playing in the Living Greyhawk campaign during the 3.5 era, and was all set to transition into 4E (and the Living Forgotten Realms living game). The game did not attract a big following in my area, but there was enough to allow me to play moderately. But then came all of the various rules "fixes", and interest in the game dries up. That after I had helped the local game store to show that there was interest in Wizards of the Coast products to get them qualified to run Magic the Gathering premiers. I do not know just how much money went to WotC for my books and the subscription for the webiste extras, but all of that money is now wasted in that I do not play 4E anymore. And I really do not have any interest in anymore new Dungeons and Dragons games as I am currently running games for Paizo's Pathfinder.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I bought Duke Nukem Forever...on release day.
How was I to know that it would be so terrible?
Oh, and all of the DLC extras that come when you Preorder from Gamestop?
They're not exclusive. You unlock them in the game once you finish it WITHOUT the DLC.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I payed $80 for Mass Effect 3 N7 edition...let's just leave it at that.

I'm also going to pay $100 for Halo 4 limited edition. Sincerely hoping that will be an aversion.