Your most Unpopular Media Opinion

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Mad Max: Fury Road is not a good movie, and it baffles me this movie was even nominated for an Oscar.
I have to second this one.

I also find myself endlessly puzzled by the popularity of the Nolan Batman films. The first was watchable enough, though nowhere near as good as Burton's, from there they went downhill fairly rapidly.

Likewise, Wonder Woman wasn't all that good. It was watchable enough, but nowhere near as good as the praises it got at release and seems to get ever since. It certainly wasn't a disaster, it was no BvS, but it didn't seem to have much useful to say (at least nothing that wasn't grossly contradictory like "War, Bad!" Says the woman who comes from a warrior culture that apparently does nothing all day save prepare for war and she herself was created solely to kill the god of war, as well as anyone else that happened to get in her way, making her the apparent embodiment of her people's own personal war...) nor did it seem to add much to the mythos.

Ditto for Rogue One. Again, I certainly wouldn't say it was bad, it was competent enough if, by its very nature, predictable, but it didn't strike me as being particularly good, interesting, or adding much of anything to the mythos. Honestly if it wasn't for the Darth Vader scene at the end there -- and even that wasn't as impactful as I expected given all the hoorah about it -- I can't imagine anyone even remembering much about it twenty minutes after leaving the theater.

Then again, I also think that Nickleback, despite the internet's hate boner, is actually pretty good. Not great by any means, but a lot better than the ravening hordes -- most of whom only bah when the rest of the herd does anyway -- give them credit for.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Myria said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Mad Max: Fury Road is not a good movie, and it baffles me this movie was even nominated for an Oscar.
I have to second this one.

I also find myself endlessly puzzled by the popularity of the Nolan Batman films. The first was watchable enough, though nowhere near as good as Burton's, from there they went downhill fairly rapidly.

Likewise, Wonder Woman wasn't all that good. It was watchable enough, but nowhere near as good as the praises it got at release and seems to get ever since. It certainly wasn't a disaster, it was no BvS, but it didn't seem to have much useful to say (at least nothing that wasn't grossly contradictory like "War, Bad!" Says the woman who comes from a warrior culture that apparently does nothing all day save prepare for war and she herself was created solely to kill the god of war, as well as anyone else that happened to get in her way, making her the apparent embodiment of her people's own personal war...) nor did it seem to add much to the mythos.

Ditto for Rogue One. Again, I certainly wouldn't say it was bad, it was competent enough if, by its very nature, predictable, but it didn't strike me as being particularly good, interesting, or adding much of anything to the mythos. Honestly if it wasn't for the Darth Vader scene at the end there -- and even that wasn't as impactful as I expected given all the hoorah about it -- I can't imagine anyone even remembering much about it twenty minutes after leaving the theater.

Then again, I also think that Nickleback, despite the internet's hate boner, is actually pretty good. Not great by any means, but a lot better than the ravening hordes -- most of whom only bah when the rest of the herd does anyway -- give them credit for.
Its mostly because Max is the most purest example of a wooden actor and worse a wooden actor that barely has screentime of his own. Same with the rest of the "good guy" cast. I am most certain that Mel Gibson was a way better Max than whoever this guy was. And the plot felt like a Story where Mad Max was shoehorned in, not a story about Mad Max. You can remove Max and the movie would have been almost the same.

I thought Wonder Woman was average, and you guys all know that don't think BvS was not the worse thing ever (I have read worse comics).

Haven't seen Rogue One, but the protagonist was boring by the looks of her, aswell as the rest of the cast.

Nickleback is just noise for me, something I here as background music in the radios.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
...You know, I could write an entire novel's worth if I was to go into all the ways I think this is true.

(In fact, going by all the ranting on the subject I've done, here and elsewhere, I probably have already.)

But to keep a very, very (very) long story short, my basic problem with it - aside from its apparent belief that explosions are an adequate substitute for telling a cohesive, compelling story - is that it seems to have been made under the impression that what made Mad Max 2/The Road Warrior good was Norma Moriceau's (admittedly amazing) costume designs and the abstract concept of people chasing a truck... as opposed to, you know, the personal journey of the titular character, from lawman to lawless, from someone standing for something bigger than himself to a simple misanthropic wanderer, feeding off others to get through the day, only to eventually discover that no man can in fact be, at the end of the day, an island.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
Oh, and to add another to my list of movie puzzlements, the last Spidey movie. Everyone seemed to love it, I just found it... Serviceable.

The whole "Aunt May is sexy" thing passed into the creepzone long before they were done, Tony's on-again/off-again/on-again support was more than a tad inexplicable, and the whole "Spidey means well, but is a klutz" thing got real old real fast (depressingly similar to how Barry "On The Spectrum" Alan was (mis)handled in Justice League), but overall it was decent enough.

It's just that for me personally if it wasn't for the car scene -- an admittedly amazing scene that was mostly carried by Keaton -- I would have pretty much forgotten the movie entirely twenty minutes after it was done.

As with WW and Rogue One, not a bad movie by any stretch, but I'm at a loss as to why it was so near universally praised.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Game of Thrones is an atrociously written TV-series and it is becoming more and more apparent that its' writers were saved by being able to draw on Martin's writing in earlier seasons. Once they had to do their own thing, they showed just how mediocre they are and have been consistently taking a shit on the strong foundation the first half of their show created.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Gethsemani said:
Game of Thrones is an atrociously written TV-series and it is becoming more and more apparent that its' writers were saved by being able to draw on Martin's writing in earlier seasons. Once they had to do their own thing, they showed just how mediocre they are and have been consistently taking a shit on the strong foundation the first half of their show created.
Is this proof that D&D were always mediocre writers and directors?

David Beinoff's filmography:

25th Hour
Troy
Stay
When Nine Lives Rolls Over (as director)
The Kite Runner
X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Brothers.

And D.B. Weiss never had any films at all so Game of Thrones was his debut as a Film/Television writer, although we has in Author of a Book called Lucky Wander Boy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Wander_Boy

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Myria said:
Honestly, for all it's flaws, The reason I like Rogue One is that 1.) It actually focuses on someone other then the Jedi and 2.) It's one of the few times we actually get to see the greyer side of the rebellion and not just the "Rebellion Good, Empire Bad" dynamic that almost every entry has that's getting really fucking boring.

It's called Star Wars, but the actual war stuff seems to be lacking most of the time. At least Rogue One remembered "Hey, remember when this series was WW2 in space?".

I also personally got a kick out of Tarkin being the main Villian in Rogue One, mostly because of Pragmatic Villiany(which already puts him ahead of most of the Empire, which seems committed to Stupid Villiany)and the fact I feel like at times that I'm the only one who remembers that he was the Big Bad in the first film and was one of the few people who could talk shit to Vader without getting murdered for it. Almost anyone else would get force choked for so much as looking at Vader the wrong way(or if Vader was having a bad day) but Tarkin was ordering him around and making disparaging comments about being a Force user.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Honestly, for all it's flaws, The reason I like Rogue One is that 1.) It actually focuses on someone other then the Jedi and 2.) It's one of the few times we actually get to see the greyer side of the rebellion and not just the "Rebellion Good, Empire Bad" dynamic that almost every entry has that's getting really fucking boring.
I thought I was the only one that felt this way ... Rogue One is pretty much the only Star Wars thing I can think of that actually tackles mature topics with a mature degree of realism and intellectual curiosity. I mean the whole moral philosophy of Star Wars in general is so fucking babyish that naturally it fucks with everything else in the universe.

Rogue One actually tackles mature relationships to morality in a chaotic and utterly massive galaxy. One that routinely requires cold bloodshed, routine sacrifice to get anything done, and perhaps the Rebellion isn't merely 'good' but merely a natural conflict of the galaxy. One that never really had one place of beginning, nor will ever really end for as long as you have people, good or bad, undermining all capacity to bring concepts of routine order to such a massive thing as a populated galaxy.

That maybe the Rebellion is not a concept of moral propositions but simnply the natural friction such things as an galactic empire will just automatically have.

And you know what? Maybe in a populated galaxy with shitloads of different cultures ... maybe, just maybe, we might see Rebels that are just arseholes to people, and the only reason why they're a Rebel is because they pay better, or they just simply hate the Empire for what it did rather than what it represents? Maybe have more criminal Rebels who fight for money in the conflict solely because the Empire broke up their criminal syndicate and there's money to be made in war regardless of where you are in it... who knows?

The way the Rebellion is painted it's almost as if a religion or personality cult rather than any realistic idea of a whole bunch of people who simply don't like the Empire ort profit from tearing it apart, and maybe that's all the real reasons people will sign up to fight? Maybe Rebels just sign up for the three hots and a cot? Maybe because the Empire classed your gun smuggling operations, of which the Rebels were in receivership, as outlawed and you as fugitives ... so that naturally predicates your operations in protecting your trade against Imperials and the Rebels who now are your primary benefactors for your products and enterprise?

I can't imagine Han getting all those goods in ANH was simply because the Rebels were gracious enough ... it's almost as if they might be used to enticing the service of more self-interested parties through actively rewarding working with them?

Gee, IDK ... maybe an entire galaxy with alien species might not have uniform ideas of morality or uniform ideas for fighting or why one fights?

Is it truly bad a rebel might expect a pay cheque for putting their lives on the line? Sure you can make arguments as to honour and liberation, but that doesn't feed you or your family or help you maintain the tools of your aggression or defence against the Empire. It's almost as if well paid soldiers attract decent talent to sign up ...

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Is this proof that D&D were always mediocre writers and directors?

David Beinoff's filmography:

25th Hour
Troy
Stay
When Nine Lives Rolls Over (as director)
The Kite Runner
X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Brothers.
Of all those, When Nines Rolls Over is the only thing that has a thoroughly positive reception, at 9,3 on IMDB. The rest of his work aggregates to slightly over 7. Now, IMDB averages is not the best measure of success, but this is also the man who wrote the train wreck of a plot that was X-Men Origins: Wolverine (which has an inexplicable 6,6 on IMDB) so it sounds about right. When your entire career in movies can be summed up as average, which is what the 7 actually translates too, much as with video games, I think the word Mediocre ("of only average quality, not very good") sums him up nicely.

Samtemdo8 said:
And D.B. Weiss never had any films at all so Game of Thrones was his debut as a Film/Television writer, although we has in Author of a Book called Lucky Wander Boy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Wander_Boy
Which should be enough warning signals for anyone to not let the guy become a lead writer for a highly prestigious series with an incredibly developed universe, written by one of the most prolific speculative fiction authors of the last four decades. After one book this guy decided that he was up to the task of adapting the magnum opus of the guy with this [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_R._R._Martin#Bibliography] bibliography.

To their credit I think D&D did a great job at adapting Martin's work into a TV-series. The first four seasons are still incredibly television and while they made some mistakes in those early seasons in terms of what they cut and merged, they managed to take this incredibly complex universe with enough characters for about a half dozen ensemble dramas and fit it into a functional adaptation of the the source material that was not only faithful but easy to approach for new comers. They deserve a lot of credit for that.

That being said, the writing after Season 4 also revealed that neither of the two D's or their other writers have the writing chops to do ASoIaF justice. They bungle pacing, they fuck up characterization, they forget the very rules of the world that they established in previous seasons or they only inconsistently enforce them, they either forget about or fail to refer and reinforce the themes that earlier seasons established and show an increased reliance on brute forcing the narrative so that they can hit the plot points they want to hit to set up the final season (as best exemplified by S7E6 and its' unending barrage of contrivances, disregard for internal consistency and pure idiot balls going around). These are all signs of mediocre writers who are in way over their head.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Cersei Lannister is a stronger character and far more deserving of final victory in Game of Thrones than Daenerys Targaryen will ever be.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Gethsemani said:
I find that a lot of people are liking the series less and less, especially because of the seemingly mindlessly implemented levels of all kinds of violence later in the series. In short, I agree with you, but suspect that this is not as unpopular an opinion as you think.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Myria said:
The second is the best but it was carried almost entirely by Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker and would have been unremarkable otherwise. The third was a convoluted, obvious, unholy mess and Bane sounded like Sean Connery huffed a whole cylinder of nitrous. Frankly, fuck Nolan. He's easily the most overrated director working today.

As for my unpopular opinion, Uncharted is not a particularly good series. Big, noisy, dull set pieces that involve hardly any input followed by mediocre shooting sections. And almost none of the characters are likable or interesting, though the guy who voices Sully does a pretty good job. 4 is, in my humble opinion, the only good one and that's only because they managed to make the shooting sections not terrible and finally figured out how to do stealth properly.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I've never understood the almost cult-level worship of the original heavy metal acts such as Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Dio, Black Sabbath and so on. Yeah, like Godfather or Citizen Kane they were pioneers, but since then others have done everything they did better, and with more skill and passion. Especially the rabid frothing at the mouth for Metallica just annoys me. When did they last make an album that was universally agreed to be even good? The early 90s?

Also, I have hated more Quentin Tarantino movies than I've liked. Kill Bills both 1&2 (more 2 than 1), Death Proof and Inglourious Basterds are all insufferably indulgent, full of themselves, smug, boring film geek wankery. Django Unchained and Reservoir Dogs were both fine, Pulp Fiction I found kinda meh, and I haven't seen Jackie Brown or The Hateful Eight. It just annoys me how everyone and their dog seem to cream and crap themselves simultaneously when he makes a new movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
bartholen said:
I've never understood the almost cult-level worship of the original heavy metal acts such as Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Dio, Black Sabbath and so on. Yeah, like Godfather or Citizen Kane they were pioneers, but since then others have done everything they did better, and with more skill and passion. Especially the rabid frothing at the mouth for Metallica just annoys me. When did they last make an album that was universally agreed to be even good? The early 90s?

Also, I have hated more Quentin Tarantino movies than I've liked. Kill Bills both 1&2 (more 2 than 1), Death Proof and Inglourious Basterds are all insufferably indulgent, full of themselves, smug, boring film geek wankery. Django Unchained and Reservoir Dogs were both fine, Pulp Fiction I found kinda meh, and I haven't seen Jackie Brown or The Hateful Eight. It just annoys me how everyone and their dog seem to cream and crap themselves simultaneously when he makes a new movie.
EDIT:

In case of metal, it's probably cuz all those bands were "trendsetters" or were playing follow-the-leader. Which does not make sense as every band, singer, rapper, or artist always has influence or inspiration from somewhere. Though me personally I never like Metallica, always found them to be assholes. Especially when it came to digital distribution of their songs.

Quentin Tarantino I just found okay and not all of his movies I like. That said, ever since the Harvey Weinstein situation came to like and an audio tape (from Howard Stern) reveal his thoughts about the guy. It shows that even Quentin wasn't all that there to begin with. Yeah the situation has nothing to do with the man's work, but at least a hint that something was off about him.

Why I understand that Citizen Kane is a classic, I think it's just an alright movie. Even for its time. It didn't get much recognition. Honestly, the only reason there's so much love for this movie is so every movie critic and wannabe filmmaker want to have some form of street cred or get their genitals sucked from the other critics. And speaking of Godfather, I think three is a good movie. Every Godfather had its flaws, and Godfather 3 is no exception, but I think people went overboard on the hate.

Titanic is James Cameron's worst film. While Avatar is his second worst film. Also it's nothing more than just a hyped up, two and a half hour tech demo. The Na'vi are all unsympathetic jackasses, and when you get down to it this film was done better back in 1999. It's called Princess Mononoke.

Avatar The Last Airbender had a good third season. It wasn't perfect, but with some of these fans, you believe that the season shot their family. It's gotten to the point where some fans pretend at the third season of Avatar never happened. I love the show with all my heart, but it ain't perfect had its own flaws. Even season 2 for all it got right, had plenty that was done wrong. Not to mention, season 3 wasn't the only season guilty and dropping plot points or certain story elements ending anti-climacticly. If anything, the comic adaptions that came later are a sign of when things started going downhill for the show. I don't know what it was with Mike and Brian, but the weird writing directions they took in the comics make almost next to no sense. They were making mistakes and doing things you would find in bad fanfiction. Unfortunately this would continue into Legend of Korra.

As the years gone on, I start to like Legend of Korra less and less. Moreso seasons 1 and 2, but even in seasons 3 & 4, there are a whole bunch of things that frustrate me. Suyin Beifong is a terrible character. Selfish, hypocritical, and vain. Kai was a character that can go fuck himself, even if they did fix him in season 4. Similar to Aang, they turned one of my favorite characters into an emotionally abusive and neglectful mother that played favorites with her children. It made Lin Beifong, all the more likeable and sympathetic.

Instead of moving forward and doing things differently, I can't help but feel that Legend of Korra was trying to just copy the formula over again and claimed being different. Not to mention, all of the pointless retcons nobody was asking for; and that the universe felt more like a bizarro alternate reality, instead of a bona fide sequel to Avatar The Last Airbender. And then they to retcon things in seasons 1 & 2, only to be retconned in season 3 and 4 to make more sense. I know there's a comic book side story of sorts being done by Dark Horse Comics, and I'm barely looking positive towards it. It took place during when Aang was still Avatar, but takes place after all the other comic sequels. I just know Mike and Bryan aren't going to be directing the writing so hopefully there be some good out of that. I don't care much for the Legend of Korra comic, so I have no interest in that.

There's also the fact that Asami and Korra pairing was an ass pull at the end of the day. If anything, that pairing was done to seem progressive, but now it's made the show age worse. Because there are kid shows I have seen, that done homosexual or lesbian pairings better and more thoughtfully. See Loud House or Steven Universe. It's appearing edgy for the sake of appearing edgy instead of telling a good story. Which when you think about it, was Korra's main problem the whole time. It wanted to act like it wasn't a kid show out of insecurity in the claim to be more adult. When it was quite the opposite.

I never liked Inception. I will praise a visual effects, but Christopher Nolan has a problem of "show, don't tell". He relies way too much on exposition instead of letting the audience figure out from themselves. I know not everybody can get a smart movie, at least get her an audience a freaking chance to figure it out. It doesn't help that movies like Dark City, which he took his inspiration from and is a fan of, and Existenz did those ideas better. Hell, even Evil Within 1 and 2 took his concept to better heights than Inception.

Black Lagoon is a cynical, overly edgelord, poor man's piece of crap version of Cowboy Bebop. And Revy can be thrown into a dumpster fire for all I care. There I said it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
bartholen said:

I prefer the first 3 Tarantino movies over his more whackier latter ones. Kill Bill Part 2 was the better one.

As for Metal, eh all of them are good with good tunes.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Dragonball Z has never made sense to me. The appeal. Most things I can kind of understand the reasons why others would enjoy, however adult people who's opinions I would otherwise respect seem to be quite into it, but it's like it's written by little boys who are trying to one-up each other in the playground in a manner that would otherwise be perceived as overcompensating if they were anywhere close enough to puberty to conceive the mere possibility of such insecurities. Was it a kind of US childhood phenomenon that has basically seeded sufficient nostalgic roots in the common psyche to maintain itself throughout adulthood? Or is there some deeper level of storytelling that belies itself to my uncultured unadapted mind?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Xsjadoblayde said:
Dragonball Z has never made sense to me. The appeal. Most things I can kind of understand the reasons why others would enjoy, however adult people who's opinions I would otherwise respect seem to be quite into it, but it's like it's written by little boys who are trying to one-up each other in the playground in a manner that would otherwise be perceived as overcompensating if they were anywhere close enough to puberty to conceive the mere possibility of such insecurities. Was it a kind of US childhood phenomenon that has basically seeded sufficient nostalgic roots in the common psyche to maintain itself throughout adulthood? Or is there some deeper level of storytelling that belies itself to my uncultured unadapted mind?
EDIT:

Dragon Ball Z is one of those stories that age worse with with time. The power level Gap, the useless of upgrades, and gimmicky power ups that don't mean anything by the next season. It doesn't help that a lot of Shonen shows of copy DBZ's worst trends. Hell, it's why I avoid most shounen shows. The only shounen show recently that has gotten my interest is My Hero Academia. And that's because it avoids that usual Shonen tropes. Shows like it and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, at least involve some type of strategy. It's more about outwitting your opponent than freaking power levels or buffing up. Even one of my favorite anime, YuYu Hakusho, suffered from power-upitis around the fourth season. Luckily, that was the last season and the show knew to end. It doesn't help that even Team Four Star stuff is better than the canon. And they're huge Dragon Ball fans. Akira Toriyama is definitely not a good writer, and is known for pulling stuff out of his ass constantly. It's why I would never watch Dragon Ball Super, a glorified fanfic that is somehow worse than GT.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Might as well throw my two cent into the ring.

Black Panther was just OK, not the best Marvel film to come out recently, in fact I got more enjoyment out of Spider Man Homecoming since at least Homecoming didn't make me cringe by using an outdated meme as a joke. Plus I feel that some people's personal politics get in the way of the film's quality.

Outlaw Star was a better sci-fi western anime than Cowboy Bebop and CB only got as popular as it did because it came out at the right time and had a good dub. Anything else about it was very meh.

I think Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy 7 was a pretty good game.

CoCage said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Elise, Dragon Ball Z is one of those stories that age worse with with time. The power level Gap, the useless of upgrades, and gimmicky power ups that don't mean anything by the next season. It doesn't help that a lot of Shonen shows of copy DBZ's worst trends. Hell, it's why I avoid motion and shows. The only shown in Show recently that has gotten my interest is My Hero Academia. And that's because it avoids that usual shown in tropes. shows like it and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, at least involve some type of strategy. It's more about outwitting your opponent than freaking power levels or buffing up. Even one of my favorite anime, YuYu Hakusho, suffered from power-upitis around the Four Season. Luckily that was the last season and the show knew to end. it doesn't help that even Team Four Star stuff is better than the canon., and they're huge Dragon Ball fans. Akira Toriyama is definitely not a good writer and is known for pulling stuff out of his ass constantly. It's why I would never watch Dragon Ball Super, a glorified fanfic that is somehow worse than GT.
If you're looking for a good action anime with a focus on strategey, try Hunter X Hunter 2011. Plus it has one of the better power/magic systems in anime.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
CoCage said:
Dragon Ball Z is one of those stories that age worse with with time. The power level Gap, the useless of upgrades, and gimmicky power ups that don't mean anything by the next season. It doesn't help that a lot of Shonen shows of copy DBZ's worst trends. Hell, it's why I avoid motion and shows. The only shown in Show recently that has gotten my interest is My Hero Academia. And that's because it avoids that usual shown in tropes. shows like it and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, at least involve some type of strategy. It's more about outwitting your opponent than freaking power levels or buffing up. Even one of my favorite anime, YuYu Hakusho, suffered from power-upitis around the Four Season. Luckily that was the last season and the show knew to end. it doesn't help that even Team Four Star stuff is better than the canon., and they're huge Dragon Ball fans. Akira Toriyama is definitely not a good writer and is known for pulling stuff out of his ass constantly. It's why I would never watch Dragon Ball Super, a glorified fanfic that is somehow worse than GT.
That is quite a helpful provision of information, thankyou. That writer's name has come up before I believe in ways that were also not very flattering, now it makes a bit more sense as the pieces fall into place. Still, if it pays the bills for him, there's not much incentive to improve. Was not aware it was part of a larger genre. Kind of assumed it was a solo act