Your Music pet peeves

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
TestECull said:
Also, rap. There used to be a time when rap was a respectable music genre. Now it's just morons rhyming to a shitty bassline about how they blasted sixteen hoes with their gat and put 42" spinners on a car worth half as much as the fucking rims. It isn't so much music as it is vomiting through a speaker, and it's a disgrace to singers like MC Hammer. I simply cannot take seriously someone who tries, with a straight face, to tell me that modern rap is in any way music.
If you are going to hate on rap, at least don't hold up MC Hammer as some sort of bastion of artistic integrity. Have you heard a song by him that isn't "U Can't Touch This"? He is a one his wonder, a small step above god damn Vanilla Ice. I bet you were thinking of using "Rapper's Delight" as an example, before you realised that you had never listened to that song the whole way through. It's the rap equivalent of defending rock by referring to Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Also...

There are so many great examples of golden age rappers that you could have used... Run DMC, Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, De La Soul, The Beastie Boys, NWA, Ice Cube, Eric B and Rakim, Slick Rick...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
TestECull said:
Screaming as the main lyrics. Screaming is okay for a hook or a chorus but if the entire fucking song is nothing but screaming the song is automatically shit. Anyone can scream, it takes talent to sing.

Also, rap. There used to be a time when rap was a respectable music genre. Now it's just morons rhyming to a shitty bassline about how they blasted sixteen hoes with their gat and put 42" spinners on a car worth half as much as the fucking rims. It isn't so much music as it is vomiting through a speaker, and it's a disgrace to singers like MC Hammer. I simply cannot take seriously someone who tries, with a straight face, to tell me that modern rap is in any way music.
if were talking only about "mainstream".....I still really like Kanye west and Kid Cudi

mabye even for the production

I mean I got no frigging clue what this song is about...but it makes me feel like my soul is melting away (err in a good way)

or Kid Cudi "singing"

Joel Soh

Dec 17, 2010
Mine would have to be infinitely repetitive lyrics.

e.g.
L-O L-O L-O-V-E L-O L-O L-O
Lemme hear ya say!
L-O L-O L-O-V-E L-O L-O L-O

Keneth

Oct 14, 2011
Urban Yodeling [http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=urban%20yodeling]

Pick a frickin' note and stick to it already.

It sickens me the way some "Singers" think that "Musical Talent" is the ability to hit every note on a 3 octave scale within the space of one measure. It sounds more like the mating calls of howler monkeys then singing.

gNetkamiko

Aug 25, 2010
piinyouri said:
Most anything you hear on the radio is not that good, rap included.
You have to go underground to find the diamonds.
And that's why I don't listen to the radio anymore, as the "DJs" that are hired are only there to play whatever piece of mainstream BS is popular at that time. Yet another one of my musical peeves.

Now, this may be the main reason why I've gained an appreciation for Trance in the past year, but my husband and I have a friend in Germany who happens to be a Trance/House DJ, and even though he's no DJ Kentaro, he still makes, and streams, some pretty damn good sets (which are usually 2-3 hours long) when he has time to make them.

Now, he's one of those people who's been anti-America for a very long time (on top of being vehemently anti-fascist ^.^), so technically our meeting him happened because he saw my husband's avatar (2 flags, one red and one black, in a white circle on top of a black background, with words in German that literally mean "Anti-Fascist Action").

Anyways, I apologize for getting off topic there and possibly boring you guys with info on this friend of ours.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Vault101 said:
Mr.Mattress said:
It's not like I'm saying it's gotta be only Guitars, Only Basses, Only Drums. No no no. All I am saying is a Keyboard and Drum Machine shouldn't do it all.
or what about Nine Inch Nails? the guy who pretty much invented the industrial metal genre....
No he didn't. He did see it the most successfully commercialized though and certainly came to influence it's direction a great deal, though, I'll give you that. But his industrial metal stylings were preceded by the work of:

- Ministry
- KMFDM
- Controlled Bleeding
- Swans
- Skinny Puppy
- Killing Joke
- Godflesh
- Hate Dept

Not all of which are consistently 'industrial metal' or 'coldwave', but generally laid the groundwork.

Cerrax

Feb 15, 2009
I instantly think less of someone who prefers lyrics over music. This is the main reason a lot of rap bothers me. People claim "the lyrics are so good", yeah but the music is shit. Without lyrics, a song is still a song. Without out music, lyrics are just poetry, they are not music.

In the same vain, music snobs who profess a song is bad because of the lyrics. Again, the music is whats important, the lyrics just add flavor. My favorite songs are the ones I liked before I knew the lyrics, and they became my favorites because I actually listened to the lyrics and they were awesome as well.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Over production in metal and rock as well as absolutly horrible guitar tone(eg Avenged Sevenfold and Black Label Society). I also hate vocalists with absolutly no range, I don't care if they growl and are singing power metal, if the singer has the range of two octaves then it is just a chore to listen to. Black Metal is really the only genre of metal I give a damn about nowadays cause of this.

Also an entire genre of music: Middle of the road, uninspired, radio-friendly, moderate tempo with a bassline which is just playing root notes rock eg Coldplay, Paramore, All Time Low, Snow Patrol. There is absolutly no originality or inspiration behind this type of music geez I have ambient music which is less boring than Coldplay.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Noitekk was 'courteous' enough to write a song that showcases almost all of my pet peeves in a single track.

Beyond sounding like a PETA service announcement at a stadium rave, they do the 'rhyme a word with itself' thing and the word is 'die'. /facedesk

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
My only real pet peeve are people who attack an entire subset of music while clearly knowing fuck all about it, and then refuse to drop the issue and can't recognize the level of musicianship necessary to produce what those artists do while making ironic music postings that further undermine their opinion. That gets my blood boiling so fast.

*looks back over previous two pages*

So fast.

Oh, also, extremely aggressive singing and lyrics. Not really my thing.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
I hate music that is so stupid both lyrically and musically that it insults my intelligence. Such songs include "Stronger" by Kelly Clarkson, "Freaxxx" by Brokencyde, "Rockstar" by Nickleback, and country songs that are based on trucks. It is simple; it is stupid; it makes me feel dumber listening to it. That is what I consider to be a bad music.

Other things I just consider not in my taste. Such as rave music- though it is preferable to the top 40 shit that I hear in clubs. My preferences are more technical and melodic such as The Human Abstract and The Mars Volta. When I want to calm down, I listen to Komodo.

Here are examples of what I hate most:

Here's examples of what I like most:

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
unoleian said:
My only real pet peeve are people who attack an entire subset of music while clearly knowing fuck all about it, and then refuse to drop the issue and can't recognize the level of musicianship necessary to produce what those artists do while making ironic music postings that further undermine their opinion.
Hmm....

xplosive59 said:
Also an entire genre of music: Middle of the road, uninspired, radio-friendly, moderate tempo with a bassline which is just playing root notes rock eg Coldplay, Paramore, All Time Low, Snow Patrol. There is absolutly no originality or inspiration behind this type of music geez I have ambient music which is less boring than Coldplay.
Yep, you got it. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zkMwEDLBks]

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Bhaalspawn said:
Any kind of music that is generated with software.

Includes 99% of Hip Hop, Rap, Pop Music, and R&B and 100% of NES Rape Tracks (AKA Dubstep)

Honestly, learn to play a god damn instrument!

Either way, no matter how high quality electronic music is, it's always going to be vastly below proper instruments. A proper instrument can make anything sound good.

Yeah, snubbing electronica is a blanket generalizations. It's also a generalization when I say 4Chan is populated by the slime of humanity. But it's not a big stretch and frankly I don't care.

To paraphrase Yahtzee Croshaw:

All reviews are subjected to personal opinion. And if you personally enjoy it then it really shouldn't get to you.
Am I somehow harming your precious electronica by saying I reach for the mute button the instant it starts playing? No. So give it a rest already.
'Subjective opinion' is an incredibly weak cop out in defense of opinions stated as fact. An opinion can absolutely reflect how you personally feel, but if you externalize it as an assessment of quality, defended your position and then try to roll it back to 'just how I feel' to wash your hands of the argument reflects poorly on you and your statement.

What strikes me as kinda funny is that you're not even a live acoustic purist or anything... You're posting music that is being streamed from the internet and generated by a software>driver>soundcard>DAC>Speaker setup. I realize you meant you had a distaste for stuff made using software, but it's kinda weird then to be OK with using electric instruments including electronic keyboards. If the Dragonforce keyboardist played his keyboard, but only recorded the MIDI output controlling a sound program, would that cross the line? He'd have to record the only record the audio output of his (software driven) deck into a mixer to be finally recorded and produced in a digital audio workstation and sold as mp3s or 16bit PCM CD audio? Just doesn't work.

I think the problem you incurred and why so many people were jumping down your throat was that you attacked a broad spectrum of useful production platforms you (correctly) believe are associated with types of music. The truth, though, is that the technology is far more ubiquitous than the genres and bands you attacked and is used in almost all music, now, few exceptions (which your music examples were not). Your proper instruments are mixed down and swim the same waters as the instruments you're slagging. Signals a signal, in the box.

If you plan on voicing this opinion again in the future, you might consider approaching it from the angle "performance versus sequenced" music rather than "real instruments versus electronics". While I wouldn't be one to agree, I'd admit there's more of an actual debate and grounds for preference there... I expect that's actually what you were going for, more or less, but the message got contested in over-general phrasing.

theguitarhero6

Nov 21, 2009
The outros of a lot of otherwise REALLY good Slayer songs. Things like Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven, Chemical Warfare, and others I'm sure have just these awful drawn-out distorted harmonics and they last up to like 40 seconds of just noise. Really annoying if I can't take the time to skip.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Funeral Doom Metal or whatever it is called

uuuuuuurrrrr
uuururrrrrrr
uuuuuuurrrrr
uuuuuuurrrrr
uurururrrrrr

*chord*
*chord*
*chord*
*same chord*

If there is any more boring form of music, i have not heard it

Also, exessive vocals, e.g. commercial pop and vocal trance

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
Ugh... brony music. These people get showered in endless amounts of praise for Rebecca Black-esque lyrics and grating vocals akin to translating a Skrillex dubstep track into English.

AGGHH! MAKE IT STOP!!! PUT ON HOT PROBLEMS OR STUPID HOE, ANYTHING BUT LOVE ME CHERILEE!!!

This is one of the rare brony songs I ever listen to without my ears feeling violated.

This one has a very pleasing beat, some funny lyrics if you speak Russian, and not the best but good vocals. I think I just love Balkan/Russian music in general. Even this cheaply made Bosnian Yugoslav War song sounds better than most music done in my native language.

inb4ponyshitstorm

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
unoleian said:
My only real pet peeve are people who attack an entire subset of music while clearly knowing fuck all about it, and then refuse to drop the issue and can't recognize the level of musicianship necessary to produce what those artists do while making ironic music postings that further undermine their opinion.
Hmm....

xplosive59 said:
Yep, you got it. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zkMwEDLBks]
Sorry Ive heard that song before when I said to people I didn't like Coldplay, It does absolutely nothing for me still and sounds like a mediocre Porcupine Tree track, on the plus side of the song though the bassline is not as boring as other songs but still isn't great.

the_dude_abides

May 3, 2012
Rap/Hip-Hop haters (very common) are mine.

Mainly because I haven't met a single one who has been able to explain their hate without sounding like an ignorant, condescending ass. If the extent of your knowledge about hip hop ends at 50 cent and pitbull maybe you should stfu and admit you don't know shit.

But hey that's just my opinion.

EDIT: Just realised unoleian and a few others beat me to it. Least I know i'm not alone in hating haters (yay).