Your name

RedxDecember

Jun 25, 2008
My name is Liam (LEE-YUM). I'm white and I go to a primarily black school. I fit in pretty well, but recently a teacher couldn't pronounce my name. She'd call me Lam or Laim or Leem. I didn't care about that. That's her issue and it's minor at most. But since then I've had kids come up to me and just say "Your name is (insert offensive slur here)." No laughing, etc. Just saying it to be a dick. I don't know why this makes me feel so insecure, but it just gets me in the right way. Call me fat, that's fine, I could go on a diet and change that. Call me stupid, I could go read a few books and pay attention in class. I never take insults that seriously. Call my name retarded, stupid, gay? Not cool. I can't change it and I don't fucking want to. But for some lame reason I care about what they say. So if you've read so far, I thank you and here are my questions.

Is the name Liam dumb to you?
Have you ever been made fun of because of your name? How did you handle it?

Thank you for reading.

Dolos

Mar 10, 2011
I know a guy named Liam and he has the same problems having people pronounce his name. my name is Evan (Ev-van) but so many of my teachers called me Even, or Ethan. its just weird. Even is a word and th does not sound like a v. I think its a fault on the teachers, my Chinese teacher can call me by my name and she still cant pronounce a third of English words right.

Viirin

Jul 30, 2011
Liam isn't a dumb name, the people that say it is are dumb themselves. But then again, if it's not your name then they'll make fun of you for something else. My dad wanted me named as his side of the family does, every two generations the first born male is named Hamilton.
But my mom knew that my grandfather was called 'hammy' or something, and he got made fun of for his name, so its my middle name instead of first. Instead, I was made fun of for being poor, or being disabled, or for something else. People are going to make fun of you. Can't change that. Like a sociologist instructor I had said- you can only choose how to feel. Can't change what people say or do, just how you react to it.

That reminds me. My mom said that in high school she had a PE teacher that REFUSED to pronounce her name right. Maiden name is "Costa". Portugese pronunciation, not Mexican-dialect Spanish. Spelled the same, translated to English it's the same "of the coast", but pronounced 'cost-uh' not 'coast-uh'. Just some people are too much of a dick/idiot/both to give even the most basic respect to others, yet expect 1,000,000 fold the respect they deserve.

Dec 14, 2009
Ashley.

I'm a guy.

I'm that awesome.

(Although Americans seem to think it's a chick name for some reason).

Incidently, I have friend named Liam, and he's had the same problems with Americans who can't seem to pronounce it correctly.

universaltraveller

Apr 28, 2011
One name Liam Neeson... how can that name be dumb... what I don't get is someone not being able to pronounce it?!?!

Also I have had my name made fun of, but tbh no-one could do a good job at it, (Royster or Roystone to name a few) so it didn't really bother me.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Liam is a good name.

Yeah my name has been made fun of. Name's Cameron(Cam-ren), when I was going through elementary I was called Carmen(by several new teachers), Kammy, Camron(a YMCA counselor liked this one), Camera, told I have a girls name(It works for both guys and gals), and like you told it is gay(stupid, retarded, whatever). It bothered me then because it is my name and I like my name, but once you learn to role with the punches(or have friends like mine) you just stop caring, at least that's how it worked for me.

edit: I'm nice and dead inside ;)

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I know a guy named Liam (KNOW, I don't ever speak to him), I don't know anyone who has problems announcing it or calling it a racial slur.

Anyway, the most I make fun of for my name is that everyone calls me Nicky. No, it's Nick, Nicky is a girl's name.

Why I have no clue, most people don't mean it to be in a joking manner, everyone just calls me that.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Well, I'm Nathaniel. I'd rather have a BAD ASS name like Lion or Ashley, but Nathaniel if fine.

Daystar Clarion said:
Ashley.

I'm a guy.

I'm that awesome.

Thank our movies for that, all action films set a name limit for some reason over here.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
My name is weird and rare and thus incredibly easy to track down and stalk so I'm not at liberty to share it o.o

I did get a few jokes thrown my way but they were half hearted.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Liam is an awesome name.
My name is Jason and in high school people would call me Gayson...I would then laugh my brains out and say "What are you? 12 years old?"

Soluncreed

Sep 24, 2009
Dolos said:
I know a guy named Liam and he has the same problems having people pronounce his name. my name is Evan (Ev-van) but so many of my teachers called me Even, or Ethan. its just weird. Even is a word and th does not sound like a v. I think its a fault on the teachers, my Chinese teacher can call me by my name and she still cant pronounce a third of English words right.
My name is Evan too!

I never really liked the sound of my name. I can't see people saying it. People never really made fun of me for it though. Evan isn't too easy. The kids just made fun of me instead.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Ashley.

I'm a guy.

I'm that awesome.

Incidently, I have friend named Liam, and he's had the same problems with Americans who can't seem to pronounce it correctly.
Well you share the name of Bruce Campbell's character in Evil Dead so I think that makes you more awesome.

s0nic_al

Sep 15, 2010
Liam isn't that bad. I've heard much worse. But live with my name "Guy." Boy it's strange how people seem to confuse Guy with Gay.

But in school, don't worry about it. There's always gonna be pricks like that in school and if it wasn't your name, they'd just find something else to aim for. You get a lot less when you get out of high school and everybody is on pretty much equal footing (the struggle for survival).

And for the record, there are VERY few names that can't be made fun of in some way.

s0nic_al

Sep 15, 2010
Aprilgold said:
Well, I'm Nathaniel. I'd rather have a BAD ASS name like Lion or Ashley, but Nathaniel if fine.

Daystar Clarion said:
Ashley.

I'm a guy.

I'm that awesome.

Thank our movies for that, all action films set a name limit for some reason over here.
Ashley Williams of Evil Dead is one of the most Badass heroes I know of.

Dec 14, 2009
Gaiseric said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Ashley.

I'm a guy.

I'm that awesome.

Well you share the name of Bruce Campbell's character in Evil Dead so I think that makes you more awesome.
s0nic_al said:
Aprilgold said:

Daystar Clarion said:
Ashley.

I'm a guy.

I'm that awesome.

Ashley Williams of Evil Dead is one of the most Badass heroes I know of.
I'm also a badass.

>_>

<__>

Who said I wasn't?

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
Ashley.

I'm a guy.

I'm that awesome.

You know what other guy was named Ashley?
http://withfriendship.com/images/j/45437/ash-williams-7-images.jpg
It's a badass name from what I can tell.

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
My name is Alexander but I go by Alex. I'm very happy with my name. I can't stand when people see the need to shorten it from Alex to Al. It bothers me greatly.

Also Liam is a fine name. Unless their first language isn't English people have no excuse for mispronouncing the name Liam. I mean really how do you not pronounce it correctly?

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
I've always liked the name Liam, I think its a nice, dignified name.

My name is Jordan, its ok, but I think there are plenty of names that would have been better. I've never been made fun of for my name, Jordan is a very boring, normal name that does lend its self well to mockery.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I like the name liam...
Anyway the name Tom is just kind of common so I'm normally known as Snail or Pinky. One came from Minecraft the other from Halo 3.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Liam is a cool name! I like it!

My name's Nels. It's a norwegian name my dad picked out. I like it. :)

Although the girliest of boy characters with girl names goes to Bridget of Guilty Gear fame.