Your Personal Game of the Year

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I guess L.A Noire at the moment, but it's way too early to know. I'm still heavily anticipating Batman: Arkham City, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Sonic Generations, Assassins Creed Revelations, Super Mario 3D Land, Star Wars: The Old Republic (Though it might be a while due to currently having no money for monthly fees), and LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7. It's impossible for me to have a GOTY at this point.

Usually, about once a year, I fall in love with some ancient classic that I never played before that trumps even the best new titles. For example, my real 2009 GOTY is Chrono Trigger, simply because it's the year I first played it in. But I haven't had anything like that happen this year. <_<

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Between Portal 2 and L.A. Noire, the only two games from '11 I have played, I guess Portal 2 wins.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Portal 2 or Gears of War 3. Portal 2 was everything I wanted, as was Gears of War 3.

Dark Souls...once I actually make progress, I will probably love it. I just got out of the Undead Asylum and don't know where the hell I can go without getting brutally murdered very, very quickly by invincible skeletons or ghosts. Someone help?

OblivionSoul

Oct 19, 2009
V TheSystem V said:
Portal 2 or Gears of War 3. Portal 2 was everything I wanted, as was Gears of War 3.

Dark Souls...once I actually make progress, I will probably love it. I just got out of the Undead Asylum and don't know where the hell I can go without getting brutally murdered very, very quickly by invincible skeletons or ghosts. Someone help?
Go up the stairs away from the building, up the side of the cliff, weaker enemies there, and it'll take you to the undead burg.

Edit: OT, Dark Souls, or Human Revolution. I enjoyed DA2 as well. I wish my computer could run the Witcher 2 because that sounds great as well.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
OblivionSoul said:
V TheSystem V said:

Go up the stairs away from the building, up the side of the cliff, weaker enemies there, and it'll take you to the undead burg.
Went up there, killed the enemies (do you mean the place where there's a dude throwing firebombs at you?), but couldn't find the Undead Burg. I'm a Dark Souls/Demon's Souls noob.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
I'm thinking its gonna be Skyrim or Battlefield 3.

Portal 2 was a great game, but it didn't really blow me away as much as it could of. It came pretty damn close, though. I found it to be a bit too linear from a puzzle perspective, that is to say that there was almost always only one solution to a problem, whereas in the original portal you had so many options.

My other problem was that its production values were too high. I loved portal because it was an experiment. It was kind of crude in its form at times and yet masterfully crafted at the same time. I felt that Portal 2 was a bit too polished...and it didn't feel like that brand new experiment.

The Coop was fucking genius, though.

Uncharted 3 might get GOTY, but I doubt it because its looking to be just like Uncharted 2.

Not that that's a bad thing, just that it isn't bringing anything new to the table.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
It'd have to be Mortal Kombat 9 or Portal 2. However, RAGE, while currently a little bit dull, definitely has the chance to surprise me.
Oh, and I'm currently playing Deadly Premonition, and it's too bad it came out last year, because that would be a no brainer for me (unless it gets stupid during the second half, and if so, don't tell me).

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
It'd have to be Mortal Kombat 9 or Portal 2. However, RAGE, while currently a little bit dull, definitely has the chance to surprise me.
Oh, and I'm currently playing Deadly Premonition, and it's too bad it came out last year, because that would be a no brainer for me (unless it gets stupid during the second half, and if so, don't tell me).

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Sorry, Double post. Stupid Captcha.
Disregard this.
WHAT? TRIPLE POST!? I apologize, this is ridiculous.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
It's no where near the end of the year yet, guys. There are TWELVE months in a year, we don't work with Base 10 in months.
My favourites so far have been Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Portal 2, but most likely my favourite game of the year will be Saints Row The Third. Either way, those three games are making it onto my top 10.

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
Portal 2 for the moment. Close second being Earth Defense Force 2:Insect Armageddon, then Bullestorm, F3AR, etc.

Volothos

Dec 31, 2008
Of the games i got this year so far; Little Big Planet 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia, White Knight Chronicles II, Deus Ex Human Revolution, and Atelier Totori: Adventurer of Arland, Hyperdimension Neptunia is my goty so far

Burntpopcarn

May 29, 2011
Gears of war 3. I've been anticipating a sequel to Gears of war 2 ever since i finished it back in... spring 2010, i think? i can't remember. all i know is, When i first saw the ashes to ashes trailer, i swear i stood up and yelled with joy and happiness. then i spent the rest of the year anticipating the final battle between the COG and their archenemies, the locust horde. let's skip forward to sumer 2011. i have sold both Gears 1 and 2, having nearly finished Gears one ( i didn't finish it because i didn't like it) and finished, not to mention MASTERED Gears 2. then, just before my birthday, i head out to the store AND BUY GEARS OF WAR 3 having heard of its release. and i love it! it is by far the best game i have ever played! congratulations, epic games, for making a truly epic game (har har)! it's sad that you have closed the book on the best series ever to grace the Xbox 360 (in my opinion), but hey! at least they went out with a bang served with a side of gibs and evisceration. game of the year, epic games. game of the year.

TheJazzyH

Jan 7, 2011
Out of the games I've played, Portal 2 was great but had no replay value. L.A Noire was enjoyable, but also lacked replay value due to stale gameplay. I also bought Deus Ex: HR, but haven't really played it enough to develop a real opinion on the game, as of now. But with my current impressions on Uncharted 3 mutiplayer (including the beta & subway promo), and LoZ: Skyward Sword, my GOTY could go to one of these two.

That said, I also bought and played Chrono Trigger and TWEWY for the first time this year on my DS, and both of them easily beat everything else I played this year so far. Ocarina of Time 3D was also the first Zelda game I ever bought and was also amazing. In fact, I wouldn't be so hyped up about Skyward Sword if I didn't play OoT 3D.

Gabriel Wahlgren

Jul 19, 2011
So far it would be:

1. Gears of War 3 - Plain awesomeness!
2. Space marine - Best multiplayer evar!
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Sneaky, sneaky... Bang BANG!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Probably Portal 2, although either BF3 or Skyrim will probably win it for me