Your Personal Game of the Year

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
So far?

Dark Souls.

It's everything I wanted in a sequal from Demon's Souls and more. More than enough to distract me until Skyrim comes along ans steals the rest of my time this year.
Same here. I've only had time to play it for a couple of hours, but it's just amazing. The same beautiful dark fantasy epic that Demon's Souls was and more.

I'd like to see Skyrim beat that. It's not going to be easy.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Wow, I think this is the first time I've seen this thread and not seen "OMGZZZ SKYRIM!!!!11" filling the entire first page.

Anyway:
1. Rage (haven't finished it yet, but still amazing so far)
2. Bulletstorm
3. Duke Nukem Forever (yes, I liked it)

I was hoping Hard Reset was going to be a lot better than it actually was, but oh well. That is most likely my top 3 games of this year, since there isn't anything coming out that I'm interested in until 2012.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Right now? I can't decide between Persona 2:Innocent Sin and Catherine. Dark Souls is up there too, but I need to play it more first.

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
Dark Souls - because it's a masterpiece of twisted, hardcore, visionary brilliance.

Syntax Man

Apr 8, 2008
At this juncture? Deus Ex: Human Revolution, with honorable mentions going to Portal 2, The Witcher 2 and Dark Souls, however seeing as how Battlefield 3 and Zelda Skyward Sword are imminent that could change.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Saints Row 3 is the game that I am most pumped for but I would be kidding myself if I said it would win GOTY--personally or no.

I would like to give it to Dead Island. Despite Dead Island having a shitton of glitches, I still played the hell out of it. That speaks a lot about a game to me considering I gave FNV the middle Finger and I love anything Fallout.

Spineyguy

Apr 14, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Spineyguy said:
Please can we stop glorifying the big franchises, they don't change anything from game-to-game, so they don't improve, let the stand-alone titles have the spotlight, just for a minute, it's what they deserve.
...did you seriously just say that Portal 2 was no different from Portal 1?
After reading through my comment several times, I have failed to find that line anywhere.

What I do recall stating is that Valve can be expected to produce good games and thus the fact that Portal 2 was excellent comes as no surprise.

I believe I also wrote that sequels and franchise games should not get Game of the year, this is because they already have a pedigree which stand-alone titles lack, as well as a fanbase and an inflated budget. Portal 2 was sufficiently different from Portal 1 to be considered a game in its own right, but it was not a stand-alone title.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
I have come from the future to warn you of two things! 1) The world is all fine and well so don't go selling all your possessions yet. 2) Skyrim is amazing so maybe sell a pet or something to get the money ready.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
1. Hard Reset
This game is like FPS meets Super Meatboy, and Bomberman goes crazy on the background. I'm aware of its flaws, still this is my GOTY. I've had by far the most fun playing this game this year.

2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
This was my GOTY until Hard Reset came out.

3. Bulletstorm

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
The games that are eligible for my own GotY are:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The Witcher 2
Dark Souls
Skyrim

I just realised all of my games this year were CE or special in some way...hmm.

Since Skyrim isn't out yet, I still can't decide for sure.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Infamous 2, Portal 2, and Dead Space 2 are all strong contenders but, unless something goes horribly wrong, the title will belong to Arkham City.

It was a good year for sequels.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
The Witcher 2 for game of the year.

Deus ex was great mechanically but the supporting characters were not fleshed out. They existed for a mission then faded into obscurity. The main character was one dimensional. Jensen was boring and the megan relationship never went any where. Aside from the character issues everything else was great including the endings

portal 2 was great but being honest those cave johnson levels were a little scrappy. The moment I hit the brown sewer levels I wanted to be back in the test chambers

Waiting for Zelda Skyward sword

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
So far, it would be Gears of war 3. However I imagine that Saint's row 3 will top it.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Gears of War 3, because I have a feeling that Skyrim isn't going to be as awesome as people say, especially after how hard Oblivion tanked for me.

i love headcrabs

Apr 25, 2011
mines between portal 2,dead space 2 and deus ex human revolution.but it may change when battlefield 3 gets released