genericusername64 said:
Strength 4
perception 2
endurance 5
Charisma 7
intelligence 5
agility 6
luck 9
Why does everyone rank themselves above average in intelligence. If everyone is above average then that isn't the average
Yes, but the Escapist isn't necessarily a good sample of the overall average.
So, it may be perfectly reasonable for the 'average' intelligence on the escapist or any other community with some like minded individuals to be above average in some traits.

For example, a forum that was aimed at body builders would probably have the average strength up at 8-10.

A forum for runners would likely have the Agility up near the top.

While the overall average would be five, different communities would be focused in certain traits.

But of course, there will be exaggeration still, but the point is the average here might be more than the average elsewhere in that stat.
Eh, isn't there also the thing that most people like to think of themselves as smart? Very few people are truely honest with themselves.
That's why I said 'There will be exaggeration still'.
I am still not sure of your hypothesis.

Bear in mind when we do a thread about lucks the average poster thinks he is better looking then average.

So the point that user of this forum are on average better looking and smarter then the usual population.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
genericusername64 said:
Strength 4
perception 2
endurance 5
Charisma 7
intelligence 5
agility 6
luck 9
Why does everyone rank themselves above average in intelligence. If everyone is above average then that isn't the average
So, it may be perfectly reasonable for the 'average' intelligence on the escapist or any other community with some like minded individuals to be above average in some traits.

For example, a forum that was aimed at body builders would probably have the average strength up at 8-10.

While the overall average would be five, different communities would be focused in certain traits.

But of course, there will be exaggeration still, but the point is the average here might be more than the average elsewhere in that stat.
Eh, isn't there also the thing that most people like to think of themselves as smart? Very few people are truely honest with themselves.

Bear in mind when we do a thread about lucks the average poster thinks he is better looking then average.

So the point that user of this forum are on average better looking and smarter then the usual population.
Ugh, I was simply saying that it isn't right to assume that this population has the exact same attributes as the overall population.

You'll notice that I use the words 'may' and 'likely', I'm not saying anything for certain, only that it is very possible that this community might have an average higher than the over all.

May 17, 2010
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
genericusername64 said:
Strength 4
perception 2
endurance 5
Charisma 7
intelligence 5
agility 6
luck 9

Ugh, I was simply saying that it isn't right to assume that this population has the exact same attributes as the overall population.

You'll notice that I use the words 'may' and 'likely', I'm not saying anything for certain, only that it is very possible that this community might have an average higher than the over all.
And I don't see how you draw that conclusion. Games are not a super challenging medium to understand, I never had the perceptions of gamers being above average intelligence. So I am asking what evidence you base your hypothesis on.

weker

May 27, 2009
Strength: 4
Perception: 4
Endurance: 4
Charisma: 5
Intelligence: 9
Agility: 8
Luck: 6

To put it simply I can be quick but only for around..... 30 seconds XD
I think my speech would be very High even though I have speaking difficulties as I good at controlling what a person is thinking.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
It's a-me George!

Strength: 7(I'm a fairly burly guy, definitely above average)
Perception: 4(I'm near-sighted, need glasses)
Endurance: 8(Like I said "burly", I can take a hit)
Charisma: 3(Sadly, social introvert. I listen a lot)
Intelligence: 7(Seriously, everyone I know says I'm pretty smart)
Agility: 4(I'm kinda clumsy)
Luck: 5(Yeah, can't really vouch on that one)

Really? I got three points left huh? Well, I'll just add to Strength(+1),Endurance(+1) and Luck(+1) since I can.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
genericusername64 said:
Strength 4
perception 2
endurance 5
Charisma 7
intelligence 5
agility 6
luck 9

And I don't see how you draw that conclusion. Games are not a super challenging medium to understand, I never had the perceptions of gamers being above average intelligence. So I am asking what evidence you base your hypothesis on.
Are you arguing just to argue? Or is your reading comprehension bad?

I said that it is possible that a website's community could have certain attributes that are not in line with the overall average.

That doesn't mean I'm saying the Escapist or even Gamers ARE on average more intelligent.

I'm saying it is possible. As it is possible for the escapist to be far less intelligent, as it is possible for the escapist to be on average stronger, faster, slower, weaker, less or more perceptive.

The conclusion I've made is that any community that is a sub-group of the overall average could have attributes (on average) that are different from the overall average. In order for me to prove this to you, I'd only have to site one example with even the tiniest amount of correlation to demonstrate possibility.

Now, I'm not going to provide you with a study that links a certain attribute to a certain group, because then I'm sure you or someone else will try to argue for or against that specifically, which isn't what I'm saying, so if you want go to google and type in

'Study shows (Insert group here) are (insert descriptive word) than average.'

I have no idea why you're even arguing.

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
370999 said:
I just go by a rule for this manner of rating. Anyone without a degree(myself included) have a maximum possible Int of 6 and anyone claiming Int over 7 automatically gets 3 Cha. It never fails, ever.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Strength: 6
Perception: 5
Endurance: 4
Charisma: 7
Intelligence: 7
Agility: 5
Luck: 6

I think this is the closest I can do for myself... Not too accurate though I don't think. XP

May 17, 2010
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
genericusername64 said:
Strength 4
perception 2
endurance 5
Charisma 7
intelligence 5
agility 6
luck 9

I said that it is possible that a website's community could have certain attributes that are not in line with the overall average.

That doesn't mean I'm saying the Escapist or even Gamers ARE on average more intelligent.

I'm saying it is possible. As it is possible for the escapist to be far less intelligent, as it is possible for the escapist to be on average stronger, faster, slower, weaker, less or more perceptive.

The conclusion I've made is that any community that is a sub-group of the overall average could have attributes (on average) that are different from the overall average. In order for me to prove this to you, I'd only have to site one example with even the tiniest amount of correlation to demonstrate possibility.

Now, I'm not going to provide you with a study that links a certain attribute to a certain group, because then I'm sure you or someone else will try to argue for or against that specifically, which isn't what I'm saying, so if you want go to google and type in

Are you getting annoyed over this? Really?

The whole point was by posting that gamers might be smarter meant that you implied it. As every single thing is possible, if you truely felt that need to be reiterated then you must know some truely stupid people.

So why did you imply it? As you most certainly did or elsse you wouldn't of mentioned it and why are you getting so hostile when it is being challenged?

I have no idea why you would even post this when you weren't prepared to defned your statement and it seems to be without any real credibility.

EDIT

I just go by a rule for this manner of rating. Anyone without a degree(myself included) have a maximum possible Int of 6 and anyone claiming Int over 7 automatically gets 3 Cha. It never fails, ever.
Oh it's just to myself that part of the limitation of the game is that a difference between one number to the next is quite considerable. Like 7 inelligence is very much super smart.

Lenin211

Apr 22, 2011
genericusername64 said:
Strength 4
perception 2
endurance 5
Charisma 7
intelligence 5
agility 6
luck 9
That only applies if the survey says "above average" whereas in S.P.E.C.I.A.L, it is rated from 1:worst to 10:best. There is no average given.

OT:

Strength:4
Perception:6
Endurance:3
Charisma:7
Intelligence:8
Agility:2
Luck:5

Tag skills are:
Science
Speech
Energy weapons- I will wield a laser pointer with expertise!

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Strength: 4 (i'm a weak little fuck)
Perception: 6 (i can smell food even when i have a cold and have great hearing)
Endurance: 4 (i have athsma, so i run out of breath fucking fast)
Charisma: 6 (my friends like me and i'm an epic twat. there must be something.
Intelligence: 7 (i can count massive numbers in my head and i'm good at physics)
Agility: 6 (i used to play basketball, football and cross-country run)
Luck: 5 (i'm not unlucky)
and i would boost and Endurance (+2) with my spares.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Strength:3
Perception:5
Endurance:4
Charisma:1
Intelligence:7
Agility:6
Luck:5

I know that I have extra points to spend, but that's about me.

PS: Consequentially, I hated fallout 3.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
genericusername64 said:
Strength 4
perception 2
endurance 5
Charisma 7
intelligence 5
agility 6
luck 9

The whole point was by posting that gamers might be smarter meant that you implied it. As every single thing is possible, if you truely felt that need to be reiterated then you must know some truely stupid people.

So why did you imply it? As you most certainly did or elsse you wouldn't of mentioned it and why are you getting so hostile when it is being challenged?

I have no idea why you would even post this when you weren't prepared to defned your statement and it seems to be without any real credibility.
You seriously haven't read anything I've written have you?

You aren't 'challenging' any statement I've made, you're arguing with nothing against nothing.

The only thing I've 'implied' is that the person shouldn't generalise, or expect that any smaller sub-group will be reflective of the entire group.

The only reason I used that particular example is because that is the one the original poster was talking about.

You're looking for an argument that isn't there.

electronicgoat

Feb 20, 2011
Strength: 3
Perception: 8
Endurance: 1
Charisma: 6
Intelligence: 8
Agility: 4
Luck: 8

The remaining 3 points do not have a place here!

May 17, 2010
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
genericusername64 said:
Strength 4
perception 2
endurance 5
Charisma 7
intelligence 5
agility 6
luck 9

You seriously haven't read anything I've written have you?

You aren't 'challenging' any statement I've made, you're arguing with nothing against nothing.

The only thing I've 'implied' is that the person shouldn't generalise, or expect that any smaller sub-group will be reflective of the entire group.

The only reason I used that particular example is because that is the one the original poster was talking about.

You're looking for an argument that isn't there.
I think it's time we end this as we are going very much off topic and it seems neither of us is going to concede or even accept the other's view.