Jul 25, 2009
Strength: 5
Perception: 7
Endurance: 3
Charisma: 3
Intelligence: 8
Agility: 5
Luck: 4

I still have 5 points left but apparently I glitched out when picking at character creation.

Grogman

Mar 2, 2011
Strength: 6
Perception: 5
Endurance: I'm not sure if this means stamina or pain tolerance. If the former, then 3 (I have asthma). If the latter, 6.
Charisma: 2 (maybe even 1)
Intelligence: 7 (having a dad who is the head of the science department in a private school helps)
Agility: 6
Luck: 5

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
genericusername64 said:
Strength 4
perception 2
endurance 5
Charisma 7
intelligence 5
agility 6
luck 9
Why does everyone rank themselves above average in intelligence. If everyone is above average then that isn't the average
Yes, but the Escapist isn't necessarily a good sample of the overall average.
So, it may be perfectly reasonable for the 'average' intelligence on the escapist or any other community with some like minded individuals to be above average in some traits.

For example, a forum that was aimed at body builders would probably have the average strength up at 8-10.

A forum for runners would likely have the Agility up near the top.

While the overall average would be five, different communities would be focused in certain traits.

But of course, there will be exaggeration still, but the point is the average here might be more than the average elsewhere in that stat.
Eh, isn't there also the thing that most people like to think of themselves as smart? Very few people are truely honest with themselves.
That's why I said 'There will be exaggeration still'.
I am still not sure of your hypothesis.

Bear in mind when we do a thread about lucks the average poster thinks he is better looking then average.

So the point that user of this forum are on average better looking and smarter then the usual population.
Ugh, I was simply saying that it isn't right to assume that this population has the exact same attributes as the overall population.

You'll notice that I use the words 'may' and 'likely', I'm not saying anything for certain, only that it is very possible that this community might have an average higher than the over all.
And I don't see how you draw that conclusion. Games are not a super challenging medium to understand, I never had the perceptions of gamers being above average intelligence. So I am asking what evidence you base your hypothesis on.
Are you arguing just to argue? Or is your reading comprehension bad?

I said that it is possible that a website's community could have certain attributes that are not in line with the overall average.

That doesn't mean I'm saying the Escapist or even Gamers ARE on average more intelligent.

I'm saying it is possible. As it is possible for the escapist to be far less intelligent, as it is possible for the escapist to be on average stronger, faster, slower, weaker, less or more perceptive.

The conclusion I've made is that any community that is a sub-group of the overall average could have attributes (on average) that are different from the overall average. In order for me to prove this to you, I'd only have to site one example with even the tiniest amount of correlation to demonstrate possibility.

Now, I'm not going to provide you with a study that links a certain attribute to a certain group, because then I'm sure you or someone else will try to argue for or against that specifically, which isn't what I'm saying, so if you want go to google and type in

'Study shows (Insert group here) are (insert descriptive word) than average.'

I have no idea why you're even arguing.
Are you getting annoyed over this? Really?

The whole point was by posting that gamers might be smarter meant that you implied it. As every single thing is possible, if you truely felt that need to be reiterated then you must know some truely stupid people.

So why did you imply it? As you most certainly did or elsse you wouldn't of mentioned it and why are you getting so hostile when it is being challenged?

I have no idea why you would even post this when you weren't prepared to defned your statement and it seems to be without any real credibility.
You seriously haven't read anything I've written have you?

You aren't 'challenging' any statement I've made, you're arguing with nothing against nothing.

The only thing I've 'implied' is that the person shouldn't generalise, or expect that any smaller sub-group will be reflective of the entire group.

The only reason I used that particular example is because that is the one the original poster was talking about.

You're looking for an argument that isn't there.
I think it's time we end this as we are going very much off topic and it seems neither of us is going to concede or even accept the other's view.
While I have no idea what you're talking about when you say 'other's view', I'm glad you're not going to argue at me anymore.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Perception: 3
Endurance: 2
Charisma: 8
Agility: 4
Luck: 10

My charisma confuses me, because I am socially awful, but I seem to be able to talk people into just about anything.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Strength:5
Perception:5
Endurance:5
Charisma:7
Intelligence:7
Agility:6
Luck:5

If I had 5 points to spend, I'd probably make myself like this.

May 17, 2010
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
370999 said:
martin said:
genericusername64 said:
Strength 4
perception 2
endurance 5
Charisma 7
intelligence 5
agility 6
luck 9
Why does everyone rank themselves above average in intelligence. If everyone is above average then that isn't the average
Yes, but the Escapist isn't necessarily a good sample of the overall average.
So, it may be perfectly reasonable for the 'average' intelligence on the escapist or any other community with some like minded individuals to be above average in some traits.

For example, a forum that was aimed at body builders would probably have the average strength up at 8-10.

A forum for runners would likely have the Agility up near the top.

While the overall average would be five, different communities would be focused in certain traits.

But of course, there will be exaggeration still, but the point is the average here might be more than the average elsewhere in that stat.
Eh, isn't there also the thing that most people like to think of themselves as smart? Very few people are truely honest with themselves.
That's why I said 'There will be exaggeration still'.
I am still not sure of your hypothesis.

Bear in mind when we do a thread about lucks the average poster thinks he is better looking then average.

So the point that user of this forum are on average better looking and smarter then the usual population.
Ugh, I was simply saying that it isn't right to assume that this population has the exact same attributes as the overall population.

You'll notice that I use the words 'may' and 'likely', I'm not saying anything for certain, only that it is very possible that this community might have an average higher than the over all.
And I don't see how you draw that conclusion. Games are not a super challenging medium to understand, I never had the perceptions of gamers being above average intelligence. So I am asking what evidence you base your hypothesis on.
Are you arguing just to argue? Or is your reading comprehension bad?

I said that it is possible that a website's community could have certain attributes that are not in line with the overall average.

That doesn't mean I'm saying the Escapist or even Gamers ARE on average more intelligent.

I'm saying it is possible. As it is possible for the escapist to be far less intelligent, as it is possible for the escapist to be on average stronger, faster, slower, weaker, less or more perceptive.

The conclusion I've made is that any community that is a sub-group of the overall average could have attributes (on average) that are different from the overall average. In order for me to prove this to you, I'd only have to site one example with even the tiniest amount of correlation to demonstrate possibility.

Now, I'm not going to provide you with a study that links a certain attribute to a certain group, because then I'm sure you or someone else will try to argue for or against that specifically, which isn't what I'm saying, so if you want go to google and type in

'Study shows (Insert group here) are (insert descriptive word) than average.'

I have no idea why you're even arguing.
Are you getting annoyed over this? Really?

The whole point was by posting that gamers might be smarter meant that you implied it. As every single thing is possible, if you truely felt that need to be reiterated then you must know some truely stupid people.

So why did you imply it? As you most certainly did or elsse you wouldn't of mentioned it and why are you getting so hostile when it is being challenged?

I have no idea why you would even post this when you weren't prepared to defned your statement and it seems to be without any real credibility.
You seriously haven't read anything I've written have you?

You aren't 'challenging' any statement I've made, you're arguing with nothing against nothing.

The only thing I've 'implied' is that the person shouldn't generalise, or expect that any smaller sub-group will be reflective of the entire group.

The only reason I used that particular example is because that is the one the original poster was talking about.

You're looking for an argument that isn't there.
I think it's time we end this as we are going very much off topic and it seems neither of us is going to concede or even accept the other's view.
While I have no idea what you're talking about when you say 'other's view', I'm glad you're not going to argue at me anymore.
And I am glad that I don't have you argue at me.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Endurance: 5
Charisma: 6
Luck: 3

That's probably about right, but it's hard to equate these statistics to Fallout's logic.

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
Strength: 4
Perception: 6
Endurance:4
Charisma:7
Intelligence:8
Agility:5
Luck:6

This seems about right. In my opinion, anyways.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Strength: 8
Perception: 3
Endurance: 7
Charisma: 7
Intelligence: 4
Agility: 5
Luck: 6

I'm not particularly intelligent and I don't notice a great.

Suppose at times I do fit the stereotype type of "more brawn than brains".

Only thing i've got going for me that makes me seem intelligent is a quick wit and a bit of a gift of the gab.

However, apart from knowing a few long words and even knowing how to spell them, I would class myself as slightly below average on ye olde brains department.

I am pretty strong though so the first person that calls me a thick bastard will be hunted down and i'll squash your head with my bare hands, and a smile on my face .... joke people.

MoNKeyYy

Evidence or GTFO
Jun 29, 2010
Strength: 9
Perception: 9
Endurance: 9
Charisma : 9
Intelligence: 9
Agility: 9
Luck: 9

I'm Almost Perfect ;)

[http://fallout.wikia.com/index.php?title=Almost_Perfect&image=Almost_Perfect-png]

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Endurance: 6
Charisma: 8
Intelligence: 7
Luck: 1

And this would be me. If I was playing Fallout int would be at 10 quicker than you could blink.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
S: 3
P: 1
E: 5
C: 4
I: 8
A: 1
L: ?

Although I would probably have a trait that gimes me +3 charisma when dealing with nerds and weirdos but -3 in all other situations.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
Strength: 10
Perception: 10
Endurance: 9
Charisma: 10
Intelligence: 10
Agility: 10
Luck: 10
Console commands to level 30 Almost Perfect Perk, Intense Training for 10 Luck and Intelligence, +1 Charisma from sexy sleep wear, +1 Perception from Headgear,Agility bobblehead, Brahmin steak for breakfast lunch and dinner +1 Strength, Can't think of anything besides buffout for endurance and implants are expensive...10 charisma or not
Tag: Science, Speech, and Medicine.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Strength: 2 (I am weak as all hell.)
Perception: 6 (I can be a bit "blonde" at times, but I am usually quite perceptive.)
Endurance: 3 (I'm severely asthmatic. Yeah.)
Charisma: 5 (I'm not horrible with people, and I can be quite charming... if I want to be.)
Intelligence: 8 (Far and away, my highest attribute of these would be my intelligence.)
Agility: 7 (I may not have endurance, but I'm fast, and I've danced for 7+ years.)
Luck: 4 (I have a bit of bad luck, but overall, not too bad.)

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
genericusername64 said:
That's the Escapist community for you. :p (edited in just in case someone doesn't detect the hint of sarcasm and humour)

OT:

Perception: 5
Endurance: 6
Charisma: 2
Intelligence: 5
Luck: 7

I would probably use different stats in-game though to improve my overalls for my tag skills/skills I want to use.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
No_Remainders said:
The Lugz said:
why does nobody use the search function?
this has been done to death, i promise you.
A million times this.

Please start searching. I'd hazard a guess at this having been done at the very least ten times already, and that's a conservative guess.
A million times both of these.

Did people just forget how to search , or do they just wanna seem cool by making a thread?

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
Strength: 7
Endurance: 7
Charisma: 1 (Yes, really).
Luck: 4

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Whose special are we discussing in this thread again? My special? What about my special? Do you have a problem with it?

Anyways, I've always loved all the people who put intelligence at 7+. It's always tickled me, as I can't help but to wonder how many people are legitimately that intelligent.