Your Top 5 Annoying Things In TF2

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
I for one love cosmetics. I don't care what other people think about them. I simply can't imagine TF2 without them anymore. Yes, the people who insist having items that clip/paint them in ridiculous colours can be annoying. But they add that special hint of individuality to my classes, which I love.

Anyway, I hate bad F2P'ers and bad players in general. I mean those who insist going sniper on a team with 6 of them already. Or on 5CP, where your whole team is engies turtling at the first control point. Also the same terrible medic stories the OP experienced.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
1. Too many spies or snipers on a team, one or two is nice for taking out high priority targets (sentry nests or medic/heavy combo) but otherwise almost completely useless for objectives.

2. Mini sentry spam. One is fine.

3. Getting stabbed in the face but it registers as a back stab on you ;_;

As for the medigun issues, I welcome absolutely ANY medic that's at least effective with whatever they're using. Hell, even an effective battle medic is fun right? Keeps the enemies off balance.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
1. Blatant team stacking. TF2 is at its best when matches are a challenge for both sides, requiring players to utilize good teamwork to prevail. I can't stand it when all the skilled players deliberately join one team and faceroll the competition. It's frustrating if I'm on the losing side and boring if I'm on the winning side. It indicates to me that they're too cowardly and insecure to handle the prospect of losing, so they ruin the experience for everyone else. Go play a match against bots or a single player FPS if you're that desperate for some empowerment. Bonus points if they re-stack after teams have been scrambled and/or respond with "lrn 2 play n00b" when you call them out on it.

2. People idling/trading in a "normal" server. Look, I get it. People like collecting things, and Hat Fortress 2 has plenty of cosmetics to collect (some of them don't even clash with the game's original art style). But if all you're going to do is idle for item drops or trade for hats, then join a goddamn trading or idling server. You know, the plethora of servers that cater to such things so you aren't dead weight to players that actually want to play the game?

3. MvM. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept, but more often than not it's just an exercise in frustration. Chances are good that you're going to join a match that's plagued with teammates that can't even beat Doe's Drill.

I'm probably going to sound like an elitist prick here, but MvM is catered to TF2 veterans like myself. If you want to be successful, you have to know what you're doing. And you HAVE to work together to prevail. I can't tell you how many times matches are lost because everyone just runs off doing their own thing. Put simply, if you're new to the game or aren't willing to be a team player, then you have no business playing MvM. Until Valve comes up with some kind of "easy mode" that allows more freedom of play (something I'd welcome), that's the unfortunate truth.

And of course there's always that one player who never hits F4 to skip the countdown timer. Every. Single. Time.

4. Engineers building and upgrading in spawn before moving up (assuming they do move up). The battle's over there, numbnuts! The team might as well be short a player for all the help you're being. I'd rather see a level 1 sentry on the front lines than a level 3 one at spawn. Remember, all it takes is one backstab or headshot while carrying a building to sabotage all that work.

This should be required viewing the first time someone plays Engineer:

5. Smartasses. You know who I'm talking about. People who go out of their way to try and stir up trouble and cause fights. There's always the Mute option (which is incredibly useful), but sometimes that isn't enough. There have been a few times where I've had to switch off all voice communication because the entire server was filled with douchebags.

On a related note, I've had sprays disabled for years now. One can only take so many goatse images before throwing in the towel.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Neverhoodian said:
4. Engineers building and upgrading in spawn before moving up (assuming they do move up). The battle's over there, numbnuts! The team might as well be short a player for all the help you're being. I'd rather see a level 1 sentry on the front lines than a level 3 one at spawn. Remember, all it takes is one backstab or headshot while carrying a building to sabotage all that work.
Yeah, I should have put this on my list too. I can kinda get the idea behind building/upgrading stuff at spawn and then moving up, but I can't get the logic behind building your sentry and dispenser at the last point and then waiting around there the entire round. This happens so often on Badwater.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Going to have to say it its the snipers and spies. Its why I stopped playing, there is no point in playing on team that consists of 4 snipers 3 spies and no medics. The clue is in the title, its called team fortress 2, not snipers and spies 2.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
1. dicks who harrass me just becuse of being a brony/using backburner/being a pyro (not joking I have met players who give me flack just for playing a certian class)

2. when there is more than 2-3 of a class (usally snipers ... do we really need 6?)

3. numbnuts who play music over voice chat

Uhura said:
5. People who don't take care of the Engineer.
4. people who give me flack for "hovering near the engineers

5. smartasses/asshats

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Neverhoodian said:
On a related note, I've had sprays disabled for years now. One can only take so many goatse images before throwing in the towel.
I severely regret looking that up T_T

OT: Haven't played the game, but I can say for sure that the community has me worried more than anything. I mean, sure, it sounds fun, but it seems all 5 of my reasons would be the players. "Find a server you like" they say. Sure, I guess?

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
1. Class Limits. If I pick Sniper as my class, I don't care how many there are already, piss off.

2. Auto-Balance. Woo we're winning *blip* lose. I picked my team for a reason, if you want to auto-balance someone move the players who picked random team.

3. Telling me how to play. I don't join competitive servers because I play for fun. I am enjoying how I play, leave me alone.

4. Default maps. They are so bloody cramped. I can't use a sniper rifle because there is so little open space and I can't run around as a spy without running into everyone on the other team.

5. Ridiculous colour schemes. I respect any-ones right to paint Bills hat pink and wear a matching pink shell suit and fabulous cloak, but it is still really distracting and I would prefer something more tasteful.

6. Scouts. Piss off, yah spastic lil gremlins!!

Keoul said:
-Spies with cloak and dagger. Most just hide in a corner and do nothing, so in general I dislike them.
The only way to Spy.

TakeshiLive said:
1. Too many spies or snipers on a team, one or two is nice for taking out high priority targets (sentry nests or medic/heavy combo) but otherwise almost completely useless for objectives.
albino boo said:
Going to have to say it its the snipers and spies. Its why I stopped playing, there is no point in playing on team that consists of 4 snipers 3 spies and no medics. The clue is in the title, its called team fortress 2, not snipers and spies 2.
Harleykin said:
so no one has a problem with a team of 10 having 3 snipers and 2 spys? ok then that's just me...or YOU ARE THOSE DAMN SNIPERS AND SPYS...ehm ok...
Proud of it.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Uhura said:
I main Medic and the Quick-fix is easily my favorite medi gun. I use it a lot on defense and I regularly do good job with it. I know when it works and when it doesn't work so stop complaining in the chat. (People who do this usually seem a bit clueless)
To be fair, that's probably a holdover from pre-Christmas patch, when the Quick-Fix was absolute garbage. That 50% overheal is fairly new, and even then, not having an uber to push with or kritz to defend with is a major loss, especially since if most people join a team and see that there's already a medic, they assume that he's filling the role adequately and go play something else.

OT: My list

1. Servers with Ads.
1a. Servers with ads that make noise
1b. Servers with ads that make noise and can't be skipped
1c. Servers with ads that make noise and can't be skipped that threaten to kick you for having HTML disabled. I leave it disabled because I don't want to deal with ads when I'm just pubhopping. If it was a server I was on for awhile, fine, I'd consider donating to the server to keep it running. But there's like a whole clan's worth of pub servers that run annoying ads and threaten to kick you and I say to that "Fine, I can blacklist you and play on any number of other community-run or valve pub servers."
2. That weird World of Warcraft mod I see floating around. If you want to play WoW while you're playing TF2, fine, but please tag your game or do something so I don't get accidentally random matched into your server when I just wanna play some Nucleus
3. MVM Hard community (specifically Mann Up mode). I generally haven't had/seen TOO many problems with the TF2 community (not that I haven't had/seen NONE, just not MANY). But I tried to play some MVM Hard to get the special botkillers with a couple of friends, and I had never seen a community more ragey and poisonous outside of League of Legends.
4. The current state of trading. I used to enjoy it. Now it's upwards of 8 ref to a key and I hear more and more about scammers posting phishing links, hacking accounts and generally being terrible people.
5. The fact that they've been buffing weapons and items for literally every class except heavy. Mostly because I main heavy, and stock minigun+sandvich (or dalakohs if you're feeling kinky)+GRU is basically the only really competitive loadout. Not that people can't do well with other loadouts, but that's usually based on the skill of the players they're facing, not the merit of the weapons themselves.

Tyelcapilu

Mar 19, 2011
1: Snipers
Snipers are the definition of unfun. If I had a server I would limit them to ZERO. Even spies have a level of interaction and counterplay, but the only counter to sniper is more snipers.

2: People who cover sprays
Rather than be a ****, there is an option called 'disable sprays'.

3: Stuns & anything else that takes control away from the player.
Fuck the sandman.

4: Grossly overpowered weapons.
Red tape recorder (even post-nerf), Loch n Load, FaN, Axtinguisher, Degreaser, GRU.

5. Grossly broken weapons.
Sandman, Pomson, Gunslinger, Black Box.

7: People using direct downgrades.
Razorback, Huo Long... please stop embarrassing yourself

8. Hatphiles
I don't mind hats. I mind the people that rub it in that they have a HAT #1238!!.

9. Demoknights
TF2's (Source's*) weakest asset is the bloody melee. Why the hell would they make a 10th class hinging on it.

10. Spies
A vastly underpowered class with its only redemption being lag exploitation.

That about covers it.
As you can tell, I am a professional TF2 hater.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
uncanny474 said:
To be fair, that's probably a holdover from pre-Christmas patch, when the Quick-Fix was absolute garbage. That 50% overheal is fairly new, and even then, not having an uber to push with or kritz to defend with is a major loss, especially since if most people join a team and see that there's already a medic, they assume that he's filling the role adequately and go play something else.
Hmm, I don't see the lack of regular uber/kritz as a major loss, considering the perks of the Quick-Fix. The healing rate allows me to keep multiple people fully healed/overhealed at the same time and I can get nearly dead players back to full health much faster than with regular Medi Gun or Kritz. Quick-Fix is also great for pocketing if your pocket knows how it works. Dunno, I never have issues with it.

I think you might be right about that pre-Christmas patch thing.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Tyelcapilu said:
Snipers are the definition of unfun. If I had a server I would limit them to ZERO. Even spies have a level of interaction and counterplay, but the only counter to sniper is more snipers.

2: People who cover sprays
Rather than be a ****, there is an option called 'disable sprays'.

3: Stuns & anything else that takes control away from the player.
Fuck the sandman.

4: Grossly overpowered weapons.
Red tape recorder (even post-nerf), Loch n Load, FaN, Axtinguisher, Degreaser, GRU.

5. Grossly broken weapons.
Sandman, Pomson, Gunslinger, Black Box.

7: People using direct downgrades.
Razorback, Huo Long... please stop embarrassing yourself

8. Hatphiles
I don't mind hats. I mind the people that rub it in that they have a HAT #1238!!.

9. Demoknights
TF2's (Source's*) weakest asset is the bloody melee. Why the hell would they make a 10th class hinging on it.

10. Spies
A vastly underpowered class with its only redemption being lag exploitation.

That about covers it.
As you can tell, I am a professional TF2 hater.
i heavily disagree with your opinions on balance

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Uhura said:
Hmm, I don't see the lack of regular uber/kritz as a major loss, considering the perks of the Quick-Fix. The healing rate allows me to keep multiple people fully healed/overhealed at the same time and I can get nearly dead players back to full health much faster than with regular Medi Gun or Kritz. Quick-Fix is also great for pocketing if your pocket knows how it works. Dunno, I never have issues with it.

I think you might be right about that pre-Christmas patch thing.
When the Quick-Fix came out, it was basically useless. There were a few situations where the faster healing and superheal were useful, but overheal is essential to other classes, and there really aren't too many situations, in my experience, that require a ton of healing to be dished out very quickly. Then they added bungie jump, and it became a pocket gun. You could pocket soldiers, demos, and scouts with it and actually keep up with them. Then the Vaccinator came out, and the QF had to share space with that as a pocket weapon, and became mostly relegated to a scout pocket, especially since there was no overheal. THEN, they added 50% overheal, and the weapon became viable, though I still content that nothing is as useful as often as the stock medigun.

To be fair, I think the uber on the Quick-Fix is only marginally less useful than Kritz, on defense, since keeping a lot of teammates firing can be just as helpful as one teammate dealing out a lot of damage at once (assuming your team is about the same competancy). But on offense, Ubers are essential for pushing sentry nests (if you have a capable heavy, soldier or demo. or possibly pyro. If you don't, then all the ubers in the world won't help you win). Medics win games, and a big part of that is being able to uber-push in a clutch situation (especially on A/D or Payload maps, where nests can form more easily.)

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
1: Blaster scouts. I play a lot of cp_orange_x3 to goof off, and Blaster scouts are goddamn invulnerable there.
2: Pyros. Fuck the combos Valve keeps giving them, they've got instakill combos, uber negation, ability to paralyze with airblasts and spam Reserve Shooter minicrits, and I'm firmly convinced that they don't have a headshot hitbox.
3: Minisentries. 'nuff said.
4: The trade economy. Between the compulsive profit-seekers, the inexplicable values of things and the massive inflation rate, trading is just a pain in the ass at this point.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
uncanny474 said:
To be fair, I think the uber on the Quick-Fix is only marginally less useful than Kritz, on defense, since keeping a lot of teammates firing can be just as helpful as one teammate dealing out a lot of damage at once (assuming your team is about the same competancy). But on offense, Ubers are essential for pushing sentry nests (if you have a capable heavy, soldier or demo. or possibly pyro. If you don't, then all the ubers in the world won't help you win). Medics win games, and a big part of that is being able to uber-push in a clutch situation (especially on A/D or Payload maps, where nests can form more easily.)
I get a lot of play out of Quick-Fix on offense too. It all really depends on what the other team is doing, like where they have their sentries (and what their Medic is doing), and how competent your own team mates are. Quick-Fix uber allows you to continue pushing the cart/capture points and I've often used it during the final push because a 'superhealed' Demo/Soldier can take a ton of damage and the enemy team rarely manages to kill us before we reach the final point. I also play on servers that have a lot of spies that love to torment engies, so the sentry nest situation is almost never so dire that you really need a regular uber to deal with it.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Flames66 said:
1. Class Limits. If I pick Sniper as my class, I don't care how many there are already, piss off.

2. Auto-Balance. Woo we're winning *blip* lose. I picked my team for a reason, if you want to auto-balance someone move the players who picked random team.

3. Telling me how to play. I don't join competitive servers because I play for fun. I am enjoying how I play, leave me alone.

4. Default maps. They are so bloody cramped. I can't use a sniper rifle because there is so little open space and I can't run around as a spy without running into everyone on the other team.

5. Ridiculous colour schemes. I respect any-ones right to paint Bills hat pink and wear a matching pink shell suit and fabulous cloak, but it is still really distracting and I would prefer something more tasteful.

6. Scouts. Piss off, yah spastic lil gremlins!!

Keoul said:
-Spies with cloak and dagger. Most just hide in a corner and do nothing, so in general I dislike them.
The only way to Spy.

TakeshiLive said:
albino boo said:
Harleykin said:
so no one has a problem with a team of 10 having 3 snipers and 2 spys? ok then that's just me...or YOU ARE THOSE DAMN SNIPERS AND SPYS...ehm ok...
Proud of it.
If you want to do what you want, why play a multiplayer game. You can play against bots and there plenty of single player games where you can do what you want to your hearts content. However from the nature of your post you, I strongly suspect you like the confrontation with you own team and that is why you do it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Mostly:

1: Random crits. I mean really, it's random, you can't defend against it.

2: Un-sportsman-like behavior. It's a game guys. Chill out, have fun and don't be a dick.

3: Mini-sentries. They make playing Scout preeetty annoying.

4: Whiners. Again, it's a game, bloody relax already. Constructive criticism is good but whining is not.

5: Awful colour schemes on custom items. I'm too big of a fashionista for them, I suppose, and I do so love the aesthetic Valve gave to TF2. But I won't complain about it to actual people.
Aeshi said:
4. Snipers who use the Razorback. Even when I'm a Spy on the other team it still infuriates me that anyone would be stupid enough to take it.
I had absolutely no qualms using the Razorback, and I was a damn ace Sniper if I may say so myself. That thing saved me more times than I can count. I pretty much developed a neigh-sixth sense to Spy decloak sounds, combine that with pretty awesome kukri skills and most Spies that tried to shoot me got a knife in the face. Eventually I just became too big of a risk to engage (it helped that I played on only a couple of servers), so in my case the Razorback was one helluva deterrent.
Tyelcapilu said:
I could stop cart assaults on my own. All it takes is one headshot to the opposing Medic, though I often took the main pusher as well, and they scatter. A good Sniper can turn the game around. Hell, any class can.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
1: The lack of any decent melee weapons for pyro (in fairness, flamethrowers kind of make this redundant)
2: The ridiculous prices in the store
3: Crate drops, as I'm NOT going to buy your god damn keys
4: Scouts with the force of nature
5: Dicks on the chat that think they're the leaders of the team, when really, nobody cares when they whine about the team losing.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I pretty much exclusively play Scout and what's worse is that I also use the shortstop (knowingly gimping myself but 18k kills and 1000 dominations tracked on it) but lately I've been using the baby face blaster, after the buff. I always use the pocket pistol in secondary for the no fall damage and extra health and the atomizer in the melee slot for the third jump.

1. Air blasts from a Pyro - I don't understand why I am completely immobilized, especially since I have triple jump, I can fully understand the airblast taking up 1 jump slot (like it does when you fall off something rather than jump off) but all 3? I get air blasted and I just can't move, doesn't matter if I'm out in the open or up against a wall.

2. Puff and sting Pyros - for the same reason as 1, I'm completely immobilized after a puff, a single reserve shooter hit kills me, even with 140 health.

3. Burn time - A single flare shot has enough burn time to take me from 100 > 0, and a single touch from the backburner or a crit from any other flamethrower has enough burn to do the same.

4. Why won't they buff the shortstop, after the set nerf it is really shitty compared to the stock and baby face (after the buff), I can usually 1v1 scouts using the stock or BFB but that is because I am smart and stay at a distance with my triple jump but a single lucky shot if they get close enough is enough to almost one shot me, meanwhile, I've hit them 10 times at medium range to do the exact same they did to me in a single shot. It's effect is useless because the extra healing doesn't apply to dispensers or medics so it tries to shoe horn you into using the mad milk. It needs a damage buff and the fall off needs to be dropped considerably, or give it back the original reload speed it had before it was nerfed into oblivion when the milkman set gave +15 health.

5. Pyros - I just hate them, might as well chuck in the degreaser/powerjack combo... 1 puff and I'm stuck against a wall and with the powerjack they move just as fast as I do (unless I'm fully boosted using the BFB), axetinguisher is equally shit, giving them free one shots.

Don't get me wrong, I don't just fall over and die to pyros, but a good degreaser pyro is absolutely ridiculous, kills in under a second. They need to make the reserve shooter different for pyros and soldiers, exactly like the pistols are different for engys and scouts. Pyros didn't need the latest buff to the reserve shooter.