Your top 5 games' flaws

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Super Metroid:
Too short, no New game + with new items/rearranged items.

Castlevania-Symphony of the Night:

Dust:

Shadow Complex:
Didn't sell well enough (apparently?) for Microsoft to publish the squeal (which has already been made)

Resident Evil 4:
There will never be a RE game this good again, the bar has been set to high...

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Age of Mythology: It's not as good as I remember it
Oblivion: God awful combat
Mass Effect 2: Kinda petered out near the end, be better if it was 100 hours of flying around the galaxy gathering a badass team
Assassins Creed 2:Too easy
Fallout 3: Needs New Vegas combat, just as New Vegas needs Fallout 3s world.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
SmashBrosssMelee: Only a few of "big maps"
PokemonRed: Not all pokemons in one version
SkywardSword: More dungeons instead of revisiting the same ones
BudokaiTenkaichi3: Longer comboposibilites (more ki or dodging etc takes less ki (without items))
WarcraftIII: Arthas

It's a real pain in the ass to pick just five favories!!!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Disclaimer: My top5 shifts all the time based on mood and what im playing (just saying that in case i got a stalker whos been noticing that i name different games every time a top5 question comes up).

Kotor 2: Currently replaying and despite reaffirming my love for the game, the starting sequence on the station is a horrible introduction to the game that just drags on with way too much combat and not enough rpging, could see it putting off quite a few players before they get to the good parts (the rest of the game).

Jade Empire: Its only flaw is that somehow it's not as popular as other bioware games.

Xcom enemy unknown: I do wish there was more graphical variation in the sprites, as amusing as having a squad of guiles is. Gameplay is still solid but visuals definitly xcoms weakness.

Tropico 4: Was way too similar to tropico 3 until the expansion to the point one might be forgiven for mistaking tropico 3 for tropico 4 and vice versa.

Hearts of iron series: Graphical elements or visual representations of battles would be so nice and livn up the game inbetween blocks of stats and numbers.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
In no particular order:

1)Fallout: New Vegas: Somewhat unfinished, slightly buggy.

2)Planescape: Torment: Combat is dull and repetitive.

3)Team Fortress 2: Some alternative weapons are pretty useless.

4)Mass Effect series: Actually pretty restrictive if you look at it as a sandbox game. That goddamn ending. Retconning in ME2.

5) Red Dead Redepmtion: No one is playing the multiplayer.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Skyrim- the Story is pretty empty and all the questlines involve going to dungeon x to find special macguffin y and bring it back to person z

Dota 2- The game is very hard to get into for newcomers and the community can be pretty dickish.

The Walking Dead- The action scenes are a bit wonky and the choices don't really make a difference to the ultimate results.

Portal 2-.... ummm.... It could have been longer?

Assassin's creed (franchise)- the games are too easy and doesn't reward stealth enough. Also they meandered around with Ezio for too long.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Hmm. I don't really have a top five or anything when it comes to games. My tastes change over time and I tend to be into certain games for long periods of time. So this list will most likely be random for the most part.

1. Shadow of the Colossus: Some of the colossi can be pretty annoying to deal with. (I'm looking at you no. 9)
2. Final Fantasy IX: The way the game's trance system works makes it so that your characters enter it automatically when the bar is full. This means that if you were to get hit by a weak enemy, which fills up the bar, and that enemy dies on the next turn, that trance is pretty much wasted. It can be pretty annoying, especially when you are about to face a tough boss.
3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Cutscenes pretty much take up the majority of the game.
4. Ico: From what I saw on Youtube, the co-op feature could have been implemented better. Otherwise, the game is pretty much perfect.
5. The Last Story: Pretty short. Plus there is some slowdown that happens during battles with loads of enemies.

uttaku

Sep 20, 2010
StashAugustine said:
Deus Ex: The original had godawful voice acting and iffy shooting/stealth mechanics; the sequel (the good one) is a little unbalanced, has a weak ending and badly done boss fights.
Mass Effect: The main plot just kept getting worse, ME1 and 2 had weak gameplay.
Fallout: New Vegas: Buggy, combat got old, companion quests very hard to activate.
Metal Gear Solid 3: Unnecessary exposition, poor pacing, occasionally outright bad dialogue, shooting felt clunky.
Bastion: Not so much flaws as it could have done more- combat got a little old and the narrator could have been more nonlinear.
sorry I just had to say I love your avatar so very very much! Although, perphaps you made a mistake?

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
1. Metal Gear Solid - I dunno, the fact that when shooting guards with PSG-1 always end up with a headshot even when you're aiming at their feet?
2. Final Fantasy VII - WAY to easy.
3. Odin Sphere - framerate drops.
4. Okami - um, "kill the monsters on this list" quests?
5. Silent Hill 2 - should be much more scary.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
snowpuppy said:
Yokai said:
Skyrim: C
Dwarf Fortress: The ASCII graphics are charming and don't bother me in the slightest, but the game desperately needs mouse support. Everything would go faster and be easier to understand if you could click on stuff. It's actually enabled on a couple menus, which is why I don't understand why Toady doesn't just take a few weeks or months to properly integrate it. No (reasonable) player would complain.
I would have to relearn all the menu keys! those things are a part of me man! Plus that would be as tedious as fuck (relearning I mean).
Hey, the menu hotkeys could stay the same! If the options were turned into clickable buttons as well then everyone could have their way. I, for one, am sick of realizing far too late that I had my carpenter construct 300 armor stands out of all our remaining wood because somewhere along the line I pressed the wrong key.

Pescetarian

Jul 6, 2010
Half-Life series: Graphics (mostly textures) are increasingly outdated, the Episodes really didn't add much to the original HL2

Deus Ex: What everyone else has been saying.

Arkham Asylum: Combat never really goes anywhere.

Super Meat Boy: Set dressing impossible to distinguish from platorms

Portal series: I'll get back to you...

snowpuppy

Feb 18, 2011
Yokai said:
snowpuppy said:
Yokai said:
Skyrim: C
Dwarf Fortress: The ASCII graphics are charming and don't bother me in the slightest, but the game desperately needs mouse support. Everything would go faster and be easier to understand if you could click on stuff. It's actually enabled on a couple menus, which is why I don't understand why Toady doesn't just take a few weeks or months to properly integrate it. No (reasonable) player would complain.
I would have to relearn all the menu keys! those things are a part of me man! Plus that would be as tedious as fuck (relearning I mean).
Hey, the menu hotkeys could stay the same! If the options were turned into clickable buttons as well then everyone could have their way. I, for one, am sick of realizing far too late that I had my carpenter construct 300 armor stands out of all our remaining wood because somewhere along the line I pressed the wrong key.
I see your point, although I have not suffered such a problem I can see how it could occur.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Hitman: Blood Money - A damned fine game, but not enough missions.
Skyrim - No sense of urgency in the main missions.
Fallout: New Vegas - A touch glitchy - but Dead Money is pretty hard in hardcore mode.
Dark Souls - Another damned fine game, the only downside is that it's so difficult, I can't complete it. (I nearly did, but my X-box died and wiped out the savefile with it.)
Dragon's Dogma - Those feckin' pawns never shut up.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Rayne870 said:
1. Skies of Arcadia: didn't go on forever.
Yeah, I actually felt sad as I realised that i was coming close to the end of the game first time I played through it.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
STALKER: Call of Pripyat has some unforgivable bugs.

Spec Ops: The Line wasn't very interesting gameplaywise.

The Void is pretty pretentious.

Morrowind has the worst combat and spell system ever.

The Witcher 2 can somehow, inexplicably, bore me sometimes.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Halo 3: Poor spawn locations, some terrible campaign missions (Cortana, anyone?) and a confusing ranking system.

TES IV: Oblivion: Dodgy levelling, combined with enemies levelling with you. Some pointless schools of magic. Long dungeons to work your way back through. Altogether boring main quest.

Team Fortress 2: Random crits in normal servers, and goddamn autobalance.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Boss battles. Energy used up in takedowns.

Mirror's Edge: Some dodgy grabbing moments, and the annoying quicktime events.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Fallout Series - Some perks/skills feel essential regardless of the character type you wish to play as. They are also riddled with bugs and love crashing.

Bioshock - Combat feels incredibly clunky, aiming accurately is a nightmare.

Mass Effect series - Mass Effect 2's story was basically pointless, it didn't really continue from the first one as much as it did, fill the gap between the first and third. It's more like a "meanwhile". Mass Effect 3 had too many forced moments in regards to our characters. Moments that completely detracted from my Shepard and were entirely unnecessary for the plot, so had no reason to be forced upon us.

Gears of War series - Incredibly deep setting, but the dialogue and plots are extremely shallow and do not do the idea behind it justice. Those who have read the books will understand what I mean. The game had a lot of potential for a deep and impacting story, but they went down the wrong route.

Dragon Age series - The friendship system was too simplistic and easy to manipulate, the graphics were... not very good (although admittedly I didn't notice them after a few hours). The second had too many bugs, too many recycled areas and too many plot holes. It also held your hand too much.

Portal 1 and 2 are not on my list as they do not have any faults as far as I am concerned. They are not my favourite games, but I would not want to add or take anything away from them.

I can think of other games, but it said 5, and I am already cheating by using series for three of my examples.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Mass Effect series: Combat from 1 is awful, too much is bound to spacebar in 2+3, and the ending pre-koobismo.
Spec Ops: The Line: Move from cover to cover so you flank that machine gun user? I think you mean, stand up and do a derp face!
Assassin's Creed 2: Too easy, can't be notorious and have the soundtrack playing
Portal 2: Singleplayer was very underwhelming, gameplay wise. Not enough coop :<
Ratchet & Clank 2: ...Giant clank is a bit boring for the 2 times it happens? Don't really have any flaws here.