Your video game hot take(s) thread

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The Hellhouse boss in Corneo Colosseum for Final Fantasy 7 Remake may kindly go and fuck itself in the corner. I beat you, you son of a *****, but considering how long and how painstaking it was, I feel my rewarded XP was insufficient.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Tangential anecdote, I recently finished Somerville, and despite its extremely simply controls (you can jump and use one of two powers to affect the environment,) it managed to really convolute a lot of its puzzles with wonky implementation. I won't spoil it, but the game has several possible endings depending on how you handle the final puzzle, but the game never really suggests any other options on how to handle it. Even when you know what to do for the other endings (and by "know," I mean look up YouTube videos,) you still don't know what you've done.

OT, I think puzzle bosses are fine, but it really depends on the type of game they're executed in. I mean, zooming out, ALL bosses are puzzles when you think about it, but sometimes more overt implementations can feel out of place. One example I can think of is the Bed of Chaos in Dark Souls. Every other boss up until that point is basically a skill test, then BoC pops up and asks you to "figure out" what to do, and oh, let's toss in a massive dose of luck in a game notorious for punishing a lack of skill and intuition. Granted, it's not a difficult puzzle if you're at all observant, but it's really out of touch with the flavor of the overall game. Pretty much a universally hated boss.
Bed of Chaos was somewhat salvageable from disaster due to the checkpoints, but yeah it was an oddity and misstep of design in a game whose back end could’ve used a few more months. Demon’s Souls has a spectacle fight that one could surmise as a precursor to BoC, but implemented considerably better. Not perfect, but it has me wondering how the remake handled it. Quite a few other fights are even better in terms of, “what makes them tick, and ultimately topple most effectively?”.

I hope someday you’re able to play it, but I doubt it’ll ever leave the Playatation platform given that the *other* game hasn’t even gotten a proper PS5 update yet let alone PC release.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Bed of Chaos was somewhat salvageable from disaster due to the checkpoints, but yeah it was an oddity and misstep of design in a game whose back end could’ve used a few more months. Demon’s Souls has a spectacle fight that one could surmise as a precursor to BoC, but implemented considerably better. Not perfect, but it has me wondering how the remake handled it. Quite a few other fights are even better in terms of, “what makes them tick, and ultimately topple most effectively?”.

I hope someday you’re able to play it, but I doubt it’ll ever leave the Playatation platform given that the *other* game hasn’t even gotten a proper PS5 update yet let alone PC release.
The only reason the Bed of Chaos is within spitting distance of reasonable is because of those checkpoints. I'll bet they put a lot of work into trying to make that boss work then said "fuck it" and just did checkpoints rather then just remove it.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
OT, I think puzzle bosses are fine, but it really depends on the type of game they're executed in. I mean, zooming out, ALL bosses are puzzles when you think about it, but sometimes more overt implementations can feel out of place. One example I can think of is the Bed of Chaos in Dark Souls. Every other boss up until that point is basically a skill test, then BoC pops up and asks you to "figure out" what to do, and oh, let's toss in a massive dose of luck in a game notorious for punishing a lack of skill and intuition. Granted, it's not a difficult puzzle if you're at all observant, but it's really out of touch with the flavor of the overall game. Pretty much a universally hated boss.
Originally I had typed up a whole paragraph about Bed of Chaos and specific Demons Souls bosses but I didn't want to make a whole 'nother lecture about Souls games, but yeah- Bed of Chaos' problem isn't that it's a puzzle boss, it's that it's not a good puzzle boss. But then I think most Elden Ring bosses are bad non-puzzle bosses.

Dragon God in Demons Souls is an example of a puzzle boss that I saw a lot of criticism for- you gotta sneak around to fire ballistas to take it down. I like it 'cause it's different and it fits the theme.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
While I'm glad there are turn-based RPGs that still exist, I stopped having the patience for those just a little before my senior year in high school. I'll quote Simmons for this one:"it's like I'm playing on an ATM.".

Egoraptor stopped being good content creator years ago. I know the guy rarely does his animations anymore, and just pretty much rests on his laurels and YT playthroughs, but he started showing how little he knows about actual good game design, and is always blaming the game even when the game clearly tells him what he's supposed to do and he's not paying attention. It's why I had to quickly unsubscribe from his let's play channel. I haven't touched Game Grumps since 2013. I'm all the more happy for it. I know Erin still has a million+ subscribers and all that, but the guy pretty much has no charisma as far as I'm concerned. He had some, but he lost that as a years went on. I'm not even going to get started on the breakup between him and Jon Tron. Though JT fell off the wagon so much harder.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

That's the thing, BoC is salvageable with its checkpoints, but how tonally dissonant is that given the rest of the entire game? You can tell it was a slapped together boss fight where compromises were made where consensus couldn't be. You're right; they needed several more months to tighten up the final stretch, and the Demon Ruins and BoC got the short end of the stick in the situation.

I have a PS3, but it hasn't been out of its box in years. Since getting into the Souls games, I have tinkered with the idea of breaking it out for Demons Souls (Though I'm sure the controller is completely dead and won't hold a charge, so I'll likely have to play with it connected by the woefully short charging cable...)

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not even going to get started on the breakup between him and Jon Tron. Though JT fell off the wagon so much harder.
I don't quite know why Ego and JT broke up, but I would imagine it had something to do with JT's racism.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't quite know why Ego and JT broke up, but I would imagine it had something to do with JT's racism.
The crazy thing is that they broke up even before Jon's racism came out. I wouldn't be surprised, if that's the case though. Neither one have been on speaking terms for years, and I think they both prefer that way.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The crazy thing is that they broke up even before Jon's racism came out. I wouldn't be surprised, if that's the case though. Neither one have been on speaking terms for years, and I think they both prefer that way.
My friend who followed him on his twitter said he would occasionally post some kinda weird stuff and this was before the Destiny interview with him came out and we found out he dove into the race realism stuff.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My friend who followed him on his twitter said he would occasionally post some kinda weird stuff and this was before the Destiny interview with him came out and we found out he dove into the race realism stuff.
It shows the signs were already there. I never use Twitter, so I never knew about a majority of his tweets. Thank you for the new info.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It shows the signs were already there. I never use Twitter, so I never knew about a majority of his tweets. Thank you for the new info.
I don't know about them directly either. But she told me that she would occasionally see some really yikesie stuff from his twitter and so she wasn't surprised when she saw the Destiny interview, just even more disappointed since she was a big fan.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't know about them directly either. But she told me that she would occasionally see some really yikesie stuff from his twitter and so she wasn't surprised when she saw the Destiny interview, just even more disappointed since she was a big fan.
I'm sorry and I understand your disappointment. I wasn't exactly happy either, but I didn't let it get down on me too much. The guy was funny and had talent, but he's such a jackass. I found out through Double Toasted, and then later checked the video out in its entirety.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Speaking of not-so-great content creators, I gotta mention MatPat of Game Theories.

I used to watch his content a lot, as he was giving logical and scientific reasonings and calculations behind weird stuff found in video games how someone survives a leap of faith in the Assassin's Creed series, what keeps the floating city of Columbia stay above the clouds in Bioshock Infinite, etc. They were very informative and entertaining. However, as time went on I was starting to see him becoming more of a sellout, creating other channels like food theory and film theory.

I was okay with it, but really was hoping he stay focused with the stuff that made him famous. I was even okay with him making other contents in his GT channel, since they were all game related.

Then he posted this video

There was no interesting theory in the video. No logical or scientific reasoning behind certain bits of dark souls. All it did was make The Completionist look like an idiot, while MatPat himself looked like the lowest form of bootlicker. I think it pissed off a lot of dark souls community back then. Not sure who wrote the script, but I watched some of Jirard's content on dark souls and he would never say stuff like this.

I unsubscribed to him not long afterwards. I came to realize just how annoying MatPat sounded.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I have a PS3, but it hasn't been out of its box in years. Since getting into the Souls games, I have tinkered with the idea of breaking it out for Demons Souls (Though I'm sure the controller is completely dead and won't hold a charge, so I'll likely have to play with it connected by the woefully short charging cable...)
Are you planning on getting a PS5 at any point? Like maybe in a couple years, presumably when you'll be able to find one cheaper on ebay or with some "slim" version or some such? If so, just wait for that and get the remaster, which by then will likely be discounted (that's how I first got into Souls- a cheaper PS4 with cheap copy of Bloodborne)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Speaking of not-so-great content creators, I gotta mention MatPat of Game Theories.

I used to watch his content a lot, as he was giving logical and scientific reasonings and calculations behind weird stuff found in video games how someone survives a leap of faith in the Assassin's Creed series, what keeps the floating city of Columbia stay above the clouds in Bioshock Infinite, etc. They were very informative and entertaining. However, as time went on I was starting to see him becoming more of a sellout, creating other channels like food theory and film theory.

I was okay with it, but really was hoping he stay focused with the stuff that made him famous. I was even okay with him making other contents in his GT channel, since they were all game related.

There was no interesting theory in the video. No logical or scientific reasoning behind certain bits of dark souls. All it did was make The Completionist look like an idiot, while MatPat himself looked like the lowest form of bootlicker. I think it pissed off a lot of dark souls community back then. Not sure who wrote the script, but I watched some of Jirard's content on dark souls and he would never say stuff like this.

I unsubscribed to him not long afterwards. I came to realize just how annoying MatPat sounded.
MatPat always sucked. While game related at the time, even his "theories" kind of stretched it or had nothing to do with anything. The only video of his I ever liked is his FMA video. That's the only one I genuinely like, because he actually bothered to do research. MatPat is just another YT grifter trying to pass his "theories" off "facts" with a smile 😁. Between him and Cleanpricegaming, I don't know which one is worse.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No, we don't need a conversation. You are being a grump who doesn't like these games or a way a franchise is going, and are rushing through them, because there's "too many games" and both are "too long". Both Sonic Frontiers and Ragnarok have a tone that matches their respective game. Ragnarok even more so. So how about you never touch either franchise ever again? Especially Sonic.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm sorry and I understand you're disappointment. I wasn't exactly happy either, but I didn't let it get down on me too much. The guy was funny and had talent, but he's such a jackass. I found out through Double Toasted, and then later checked the video out in its entirety.
Not me, she was dissapointed. I always found JonTron kinda annoying and didn't enjoy Game Grumps till Danny came around. Jon and Erin were just too similar. Erin really needs a straight man like Danny to even out his weirdness.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
MatPat always sucked. While game related at the time, even his "theories" kind of stretched it or had nothing to do with anything. The only video of his I ever liked is his FMA video. That's the only one I genuinely like, because he actually bothered to do research. MatPat is just another YT grifter trying to pass his "theories" off "facts" with a smile 😁. Between him and Cleanpricegaming, I don't know which one is worse.
I never liked MatPat, I mean his game theories could have been fun, but I hated his voice. I found it smarmy and obnoxious, the editing he has on his vids do not help with that either.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not me, she was dissapointed. I always found JonTron kinda annoying and didn't enjoy Game Grumps till Danny came around.
My mistake then.

didn't enjoy Game Grumps till Danny came around. Jon and Erin were just too similar. Erin really needs a straight man like Danny to even out his weirdness.
By the time Danny came around, I already stopped watching Game Grumps. Even from the clips that I've seen, I still didn't care much for Erin at that point, and found him too frustrating. By that point, I had already found more than enough let's players more interesting or more detailed knowledge on games they were playing.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I was amused by his FNAF theories and that was the closest I'd ever gotten to actually playing one, but aside from his presentation just being annoying, his theorizing felt really lazy and low effort, if not entirely stretched to the point most conspiracy theories are. Like when he's trying to calculate the price of a Mario castle based off the collectable coins in one of the games and.....just what? Dude, you're giving a mario game far too much credit for worldbuilding here and there's gotta be a ton of other things that have legit theorizing you could be doing.

Fuck, the Souls community has plenty of fodder for thoerizing because of the way the storytelling is done and it tends to be far more interesting(though I stopped watching Ashen Hollow because he had a tendency to get way up his own ass on some of his pet theories....AKA Velka is the lynchpin around which all the souls game revolve around)