Your video game hot take(s) thread

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Can someone explain the Touhou fandom to me? I still don't understand it. So the games are all nearly identical bullet hell shooters and character interactions all consist of a couple short barely coherent sentences, and yet it's spawned this massive rabid fandom of people creating fan art, stories, and animation about these cardboard cutout characters. Why? I really don't get it. I'll admit that I've only played Touhou 6 and never managed to get a good ending (no continues), but I've glanced at some of the later games on youtube and they all seem to be pretty much the same thing. The music is really good, though.
It came out a really long time ago when these things weren't quite common and small indie game in japan weren't really a thing. It wouldn't survive if it came out today.

Nov 9, 2015
Can someone explain the Touhou fandom to me? I still don't understand it. So the games are all nearly identical bullet hell shooters and character interactions all consist of a couple short barely coherent sentences, and yet it's spawned this massive rabid fandom of people creating fan art, stories, and animation about these cardboard cutout characters. Why? I really don't get it. I'll admit that I've only played Touhou 6 and never managed to get a good ending (no continues), but I've glanced at some of the later games on youtube and they all seem to be pretty much the same thing. The music is really good, though.
The same reason your avatar is Rainbow Dash. Internet memes, and also anyone can play it for "free".

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The same reason your avatar is Rainbow Dash. Internet memes, and also anyone can play it for "free".
I guess you must be right. It's just weird how certain things catch on and become massively possible out of nowhere. It was weird for MLP, but somewhat understandable as it was an actual show with hours of character development and interaction to draw from. I just find it odd that a bullet hell shooter, of all things, spawned such a large body of fan works. Like, looking to get into the franchise what do you even do when the main appeal seems to be the sprawling mess of fan works surrounding it? Like I've seen a couple fan works of Touhou and it's always this mess of dozens of characters all doing the thing they are known for, and it's completely impenetrable to me, and then I play the game (Touhou 6, it's the only one I've played because I can't beat it) and I'm like, "this is it?" I still remember one long time user here was banned (or just left by themselves) after kind of going off the handle in a thread where they were trying to spark discussion on the topic and everybody was pretty much "wahts Touhou?" I want to understand where all that passion comes from, but I just don't.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I guess you must be right. It's just weird how certain things catch on and become massively possible out of nowhere. It was weird for MLP, but somewhat understandable as it was an actual show with hours of character development and interaction to draw from. I just find it odd that a bullet hell shooter, of all things, spawned such a large body of fan works. Like, looking to get into the franchise what do you even do when the main appeal seems to be the sprawling mess of fan works surrounding it? Like I've seen a couple fan works of Touhou and it's always this mess of dozens of characters all doing the thing they are known for, and it's completely impenetrable to me, and then I play the game (Touhou 6, it's the only one I've played because I can't beat it) and I'm like, "this is it?" I still remember one long time user here was banned (or just left by themselves) after kind of going off the handle in a thread where they were trying to spark discussion on the topic and everybody was pretty much "wahts Touhou?" I want to understand where all that passion comes from, but I just don't.
Don't know why it's that hard for you to comprehend. Cute anime girls that all can kick ass. It's no different with River City Girls. Do you know how much fan art was drawn of Misako and Kyoko when the first trailer for the game was revealed? And that was when most people didn't know who the characters were, or that RCG is a spin-off of a 30 year old franchise called Kunio-Kun/River City Ransom. When the game released, even more fan art came out.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Movement in certain modern over-the-shoulder horror games. Please use the movement and speed system from either RE2/3Remake, RE4R, Evil Within 2, or Dead Space Remake and Dead Space 2. I say this, because there is no reason why a character moves too slow at such a young age, not wearing much equipment at the start (Jacob from Calisto Protocol), nor be winded so fast after running for only 7 seconds (Sebastian's default stamina in the Evil Within 1). Nor do I want Ethan's slow ass walking or running either. I get wanting to make sure the player is not overpowered and to make them scared, but there are limits. Isaac Clarke has on that suit and he moves faster than Jacob! Leon and Claire (RE2R) move faster than Jacob, and the formers are a rookie cop and civilian with small fire arms training respectively. Sebastian in both Evil Within games move faster than Jacob! And Sebastian is recovering from being drunk in Evil Within 2! Jill and Carlos moving faster than Jacob makes some sense, they're both trained soldiers, but you see what I mean.

Part of me is saying this, because I hope the newest Alone in the Dark (2023) Reboot and Alan Wake II do the right kind of movements. Give the characters weight; sure, but if they look healthily active and appear in good shape, don't have them moving slower than molasses. Alan Wake is in his early 40s now, and that new female FBI agent character appears to be in her late 30s. They should be able to move somewhat quickly. I'm not asking for 100 types of dodges, but some evasion moves similar to the last game would be nice. The last game did have a dedicated dodge button you have to time right, so I see it as no different here. It appears Alan Wake II is taking some influences from RE2R & RE4R. The more zoomed in camera, the walking slowly with the flash light trope, and going harder on the horror. This is nothing new, as the previous game did take some elements from OG RE4.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Fanwork is explicitly encouraged and generally allowed to be fully monetized. It's almost a shared universe that the OG creator injects new blorbos into every now and again.

Also, if you like bullet hells, they're good bullet hells. Why shake up the formula too much every release?

It's kinda like the bullet hell version of Hatsune Miku and friends

Nov 9, 2015
I guess you must be right. It's just weird how certain things catch on and become massively possible out of nowhere. It was weird for MLP, but somewhat understandable as it was an actual show with hours of character development and interaction to draw from.
There's no way some regular dudes stumbled on a girl's show on Sunday, witnessed the magic of friendship, and then decided to spread the good news and baptize all nations in the name of Celestia, Luna, and the Elements of Harmony.

You're a brony, so you know exactly where mlp came from. Well just like you guys Touhou had its own containment board.

Like, looking to get into the franchise what do you even do when the main appeal seems to be the sprawling mess of fan works surrounding it?
The fan-content is the content. Touhou 6 is a classic and its music is iconic, but very few people have actually played the games. Touhou is mostly fanon and inside jokes upon even more fanon and inside jokes. It's a mess because it's straight up lifted from 2ch and Nico without much explanation.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
There's no way some regular dudes stumbled on a girl's show on Sunday, witnessed the magic of friendship, and then decided to spread the good news and baptize all nations in the name of Celestia, Luna, and the Elements of Harmony.

You're a brony, so you know exactly where mlp came from. Well just like you guys Touhou had its own containment board.
I'm not a brony. And I said you were right, it was definitely the memes that spread the show, but the show itself was actually halfway decent, at least for a little while. (Not saying that Touhou games aren't, but bullet hell is a pretty niche genre.)

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
When yahtzee ppl be saying games like Doom Eternal are just the same game as the last one, but in the same breath rant about how the new gameplay loop is nothing like the old one they grew to love, less fun and they'd prefer the old loop back. It's just...it ain't the same fucking game then, is it?

~~~

Part of me is saying this, because I hope the newest Alone in the Dark (2023) Reboot and Alan Wake II do the right kind of movements. Give the characters weight; sure, but if they look healthily active and appear in good shape, don't have them moving slower than molasses. Alan Wake is in his early 40s now, and that new female FBI agent character appears to be in her late 30s. They should be able to move somewhat quickly. I'm not asking for type dodges, but some evasion moves similar to the last game would be nice. The last game did have a dedicated dodge button you have to time right, so I see it as no different here. It appears Alan Wake II is taking some influences from RE2R & RE4R. The more zoomed in camera, the walking slowly with the flash light trope, and going harder on the horror. This is nothing new, as the previous game did take some elements from OG RE4.
Oh, definitely avoid the playable teaser for the new Alone in the Dark then. They lump you with a dawdling toddler and no sprint button, ushered to bumble slowly between a couple of rooms. But afterwards when they reveal the adult characters getting out a car, implying you're just about to play as them, the demo ends to preorder screen! All demos are greatly appreciated of course, but I sense their choice of tone-over-gameplay may not have been a wise one for first impressions. Fingers crossed that's the last anyone'll have to see of the twatty toddler section. Also it's age rated 7, while the main game is 18, so they're already trying to confuse a load of pre-teens by mere bureaucratic gatekeeping alone! 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
When yahtzee ppl be saying games like Doom Eternal are just the same game as the last one, but in the same breath rant about how the new gameplay loop is nothing like the old one they grew to love, less fun and they'd prefer the old loop back. It's just...it ain't the same fucking game then, is it?
Shooter curse. Happened to Splatoon 2/3 too.

The Splatoon 2 version was especially weird because I saw a *bunch* of people saying "Oh, I'm not gonna get Splatoon 2 because it's just a retread of the first one" and they...never played the first one.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Ooh i so so so dislike the digital "cutout" animation style in videogames or animated series. I accepted it in South Park because it's very much embraced as part of the "cute cutout gross jokes" humour, but nope, no Archer for me, for instance... And for a videogame's cutscene, I vastly prefer static images. I kinda forgive that style for in-game characters, but it's still a heavy minus in my perception of a game (I guess Steamworld Heist gets a pass because robits make robotic movements more natural but also because the game is overwhelmingly awesome). But quite often, it's a style of animation that sceams either cheapness or laziness, and makes me easily skip the game during my shopping explorations...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

~~~

Oh, definitely avoid the playable teaser for the new Alone in the Dark then. They lump you with a dawdling toddler and no sprint button, ushered to bumble slowly between a couple of rooms. But afterwards when they reveal the adult characters getting out a car, implying you're just about to play as them, the demo ends to preorder screen! All demos are greatly appreciated of course, but I sense their choice of tone-over-gameplay may not have been a wise one for first impressions. Fingers crossed that's the last anyone'll have to see of the twatty toddler section. Also it's age rated 7, while the main game is 18, so they're already trying to confuse a load of pre-teens by mere bureaucratic gatekeeping alone! 😉
Shooter curse. Happened to Splatoon 2/3 too.

The Splatoon 2 version was especially weird because I saw a *bunch* of people saying "Oh, I'm not gonna get Splatoon 2 because it's just a retread of the first one" and they...never played the first one.
It's not just a shooter curse. I call it gamer wishy-washy sequel syndrome. A game that is from the start, stated by the developers to play more like the first one (or whatever previous entry), but better or with new added on gameplay mechanics/enchantments. Then you got these gamers that are suddenly "shocked or surprised" that it plays like the last one, but either faster, or new gameplay mechanics. There are still some people who complain about the jump from Streets of Rage 2 to Streets of Rage 3. Claiming how it's only a mission pack sequel, and not much was added. Despite the fact that all the characters have their own dash speeds, can dodge roll, and then new character, Zan, plays completely different from Max. The game is more than different enough, but I'm not even going to get into all the differences between the censored Western version and the original Japanese version. Hell, when Streets of Rage 4 got announced, then later released, and people started playing the game, there were and are people crying about it playing too much like Streets of Rage 2, even though the game had a completely revamped art style, and plenty of new mechanics brought to the forefront that makes it distinct enough from the previous titles. While the game does model itself after the second game, there's a lot of stuff you can do in 4 that you cannot do in 2. Then this game got all these updates and is still being updated. They brought back tag team throws a few months ago. No one's complaining about that.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Comments on the IGN tweet are a cesspit
Oh man, the sheer amount of irony in that sentence.

"Thought this looked badass but then I read the comments and found out that Aztec culture had problematic elements, guess I'll just wait for another game about spartans or vikings".

Unless it's meant to be sarcasm.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Oh man, the sheer amount of irony in that sentence.

"Thought this looked badass but then I read the comments and found out that Aztec culture had problematic elements, guess I'll just wait for another game about spartans or vikings".

Unless it's meant to be sarcasm.
Bad shit happens when one’s moral compass and entertainment choices cross paths. There are shades of grey.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Comments on the IGN tweet are a cesspit
If the dev are clever, there's a way around some of the problematic element of Aztec culture... kinda. Aztec were in the akward period between city state and nation, where the region had multiple city state semi independent but under martial control by Tenochtitlan, which was a brutal slave based dictatorship/theocracy. These had to pay tribute and were often raided for slave. They could set it up where you play as someone from one of the other city state that's not so big on the war like aspect and is under control of the Aztec but still oppose the Spanish, this way they could distance themselves a bit from the more brutal aspect.