Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One of the things I hate most about remakes is that they cover up the original. You have a game that was created by a team of extraordinarily talented people, every aspect of the game is filtered through their personalities and vision and comes out in a particular way as a result of the individuals that created it and their mental state at the time of creation. Now, it happens that people like the particular way that the game turned out and the popularity persists 5-10 years until the publisher decides that there is money in remaking the game. So they hire a new team to remake the game, and they use the latest technology to paper over the original with new textures, animations, voice acting, etc. until you have a new game that ostensibly resembles the original, but in fact is a different game entirely.

Now a person comes along and wants to play the game because it's very popular and they've heard much about it, so they pick up the remake because it's more available. Now they feel that they've played the game, despite the fact that the original artistry may have been significantly altered or lost entirely. I think that's just awful. Just think of the effort and imagination that the original team put in, which was good enough to create a lasting popularity, that is being forced out by what is essentially a counterfeit made by people that think they can do it better.
That really depends on who you're talking about.

Capcom respects their original titles along with their remakes.

You can still play RE4 and RE4R. With OG RE4 being on almost any platform now. FTR, Shinji Mikami hated the story for RE4, and considers the remake a massive improvement for the story and characters. He finds them much superior. The RE PSX Trilogy has their PC ports on GOG now.

The people behind the Dead Space Remake are huge fans of the original and wanted to do right. Which they did. Even the original team for the original game were impressed and approved. The original Dead Space you can still buy on EA's Origin, GOG, XBOX Live, and even on Steam. So nothing has been lost.

Former members of Team Silent worked Bloober on SH2R, so there's no disrespect there. Also, it's next to impossible to get the OG SH Trilogy running on modern hardware. Hence the remake.

The System Shock 1 Remake makes the original pointless to play. Not to mention, og SS1 takes so much effort to get running and most people aren't going to go through the effort of getting the damn thing to work. The original is super difficult. SS Remake is no walk in the park, but is much more managable to play and fun.

Tengo Project loves the Ninja Warriors franchise and chose to remake the game, because none of the original developers weren't at Natsume/Taito anymore. Not to mention the SNES game was stuck on SNES. The remake re-did the pixel graphics and upgraded them to even better 16-bit pixel graphics, new animations, new combos and moves the main characters can do, redrawn stages, some new enemies, and two new characters to unlock and play as. You can even unlock the arcade soundtrack and SNES soundtrack in Ninja Warriors Once Again/Ninja Saviors.

Now something like XIII Remake or the GTA PS2 Remake Trilogy fucking sucked and are wasted. Especially on Rockstar's end where they deleted the originals from all digital stores, so no one can play them unless they have the original hardware or PC discs. The same applies to the Night Slashsers Remake too. The original was removed from eShop. So now it's back to emulation/MAME to play the pixel arcade version. I bought my copy before it got removed, so count me as one of the lucky ones.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon