Your video game hot take(s) thread

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
For all the whitewashing COD MW is claimed to do, it at least kept it's politics compared to Ubisoft who abandoned it completely with Rainbow Six Siege
Remember when Rainbow Six Siege was originally gonna be Patroits?

Honestly Ubisoft has no idea what made Rainbow Six great in the first place anymore. Red Storm Entertainment left, and Montreal lost their talent.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
And here is the kicker, the bomb scene happened in Modern Warfare. The same scene where you were caught in a vicious crossfire of civies and cops while taking down a bunch of terrorists that ended with you throwing a father with a suicide bomb off a bridge.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
For all the whitewashing COD MW is claimed to do, it at least kept it's politics compared to Ubisoft who abandoned it completely with Rainbow Six Siege
Abandoned it or just claimed to abandon it? Ubisoft is fond of the "Not political" line even when they make games like Far Cry 5 and the Division and Watch Dogs: Legion. Activision, for all their shit, at least doesn't have the same wierd level of denial.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Abandoned it or just claimed to abandon it? Ubisoft is fond of the "Not political" line even when they make games like Far Cry 5 and the Division and Watch Dogs: Legion. Activision, for all their shit, at least doesn't have the same wierd level of denial.
They wouldn't take the controversial political step, everything so far feels more like window dressing and a piss on Clancy's grave

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Since we already on the "politics in videogames" topic:

Can someone explain, what even is the point, then?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Remember when Rainbow Six Siege was originally gonna be Patroits?

Honestly Ubisoft has no idea what made Rainbow Six great in the first place anymore. Red Storm Entertainment left, and Montreal lost their talent.
Just think, in an alternate timeline, "press square to kiss your wife" could be the new "press x to pay your respects."

Reactions: Gyrobot

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
From what I've played, feels like it.
First Mass Effect had this supposedly cover mechanic and it supposedly had gunplay. I still that game been replaying recently to remember the jank but man guns just work and sometimes they don't. Two and Three got it just right though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How do you make such a game non-political? The Iraqi War was political up the ying-yang and the original game was cancelled due to controversy.
The Army was the one that had a problem with it back then.The dumb reason being that they were afraid that the game would show the terrorist in a grey light/"good guys". Encouraging terrorism. Which is hypocritical, because there are plenty of Hollywood films that already showed terrorists in a grey light. But as soon as the game was canceled, they instantly forgot about the entire thing. I don't who these fuckers are trying to impress or fool. By saying this game is "non-political", they are disrespecting those that fought in the war.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I'd like for someone to explain to me why "walking simulators" like Gone Home aren't "real games" because you don't do anything but walk around and experience the story, but I'm expected to endure the atrocious gameplay of the first The Witcher game so that I can experience the story.
Something about how the story isn't worth it unless you have to suffer to experience it.

Yes, I've played Witcher 1 and boy, I know for a fact I will never play it again. I'll YouTube it if I really want to see the story again.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Since we already on the "politics in videogames" topic:

Can someone explain, what even is the point, then?
To be fair, saying it isn’t trying to make political commentary is not the same as Ubisoft’s bullshit about their games being non-political. In fact if the game is honest in its depictions of the event then you’ll probably be able to see its politics plain and upfront.

Also @Dalisclock is right; it would be impossible to make anything like Six Days in Fallujah without it being political since the Iraq war was what it was.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
How about screw loosey goosey politics in video games, and instead use video games to help teach history?

That is politics.

To be fair, saying it isn’t trying to make political commentary is not the same as Ubisoft’s bullshit about their games being non-political. In fact if the game is honest in its depictions of the event then you’ll probably be able to see its politics plain and upfront.
The game supposed to be about a (1)recent, (2)real life, military conflict, (3)started by the US. Furthermore, it's set to depict (4)a specific event during that conflict, (5)which gained infamy due to war crimes committed against the civilian populace.

For any of these reasons alone, I don't think you can escape from a political commentary. Which makes the dev studio's statement so baffling, because it sounds like they'll try.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
After watching some various Mortal Kombat trailers, both of the film, the original song remixes, and of MK 11, I think Mortal Kombat, crossed with Dynasty Warriors, would probably be one of the most fun concepts I could think of to play in recent memory. Just a massive battlefield with minions of Shao Khan, and you and the other champions of Earthrealm, wade into the ranks of them (like several cutscenes from MK 11 show), and just fucking wail on them. Cut to 1on1 battles with the other champions in the middle of the fields, maybe even switch it to side scrolling for nostalgia, kick some champion ass, if you get a Fatality it bolsters your troops, and demoralizes the enemy. Transition out of the side combat and back to the massive battle, and repeat. Both me and 12 year old me would just giggle uncontrollably at that I think.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I suppose you’re right, since it isn’t really possible to be objective about past events.
I would think you could be but then again, I can watch historical videos about the Greco-Persian wars on youtube and find dipshits in the comments shouting "DEUS VULT!" and apparently not as a joke. Because Persians=Muslims=Bad when talking about Thermopylae, for some reason.

But back on topic, I felt I'd drop these here.

I will give Ubisoft some credit, they've put effort into trying to build their virtual ancient worlds around real world ruins and landscapes and the "History Tour" aspect in Origins and Odyssey acts like a guided/unguided tour for relaxed exploration. You know, aside from the giant fictional statues the devs admit they put in for poetic license and probably to make up for not being able to put the Colossus of Rhodes in the game(due to not being built yet).

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The Army was the one that had a problem with it back then.The dumb reason being that they were afraid that the game would show the terrorist in a grey light/"good guys". Encouraging terrorism. Which is hypocritical, because there are plenty of Hollywood films that already showed terrorists in a grey light. But as soon as the game was canceled, they instantly forgot about the entire thing. I don't who these fuckers are trying to impress or fool. By saying this game is "non-political", they are disrespecting those that fought in the war.
I thought it had to do with the fact that Eric Prince was involved and probably his contractors started the conflict. The Army had to come in and save a couple of idiots who were killing randos and then pretend they were terrorists.... and then Prince pretended that HIS team saved the army.

It's that sort of politics, not politics between nations

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
The whole Ubisoft "Our games are non poltical" isnt complicated. It's a disclaimer to say that they're not making a political statement as a company. Obviously the stories are political. All stories are. The ones we think aren't mean we're either missing the moments, or the politics are universal enough to us that we dont see them as "political".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I thought it had to do with the fact that Eric Prince was involved and probably his contractors started the conflict. The Army had to come in and save a couple of idiots who were killing randos and then pretend they were terrorists.... and then Prince pretended that HIS team saved the army.

It's that sort of politics, not politics between nations
This is new to me, and never heard of that part. It could be possible of both factors. I just do know the Army did throw fuss about the game and its subject matter. That part I remember very well. I still remember them raising a fuss about the player being able to play on the terrorist side, or show them in a grey light. It still wasn't right to get the game axed, for that reason. FTR, not defending Eric Prince, I was referring to the details I originally posted. If he's the shitbag you say he is, I definitely believe you.