Your video game hot take(s) thread

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
The problem is not most of them working improperly. The problem is that they stuck around way too long and didn't bring much new to the gaming sphere. That is the major issue at heart, and that so many publishers or devs were trying to get the COD/Gears money and many failed taking unnecessary risks. With most of them learning nothing.

It sticking around isn't necessarily a bad thing in the case of cover system, and it doesn't inherently mean they just want the Gears money.

I mean I don't know how I can play a game like Mass Effect Trilogy without cover or GTA/Red Dead games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It sticking around isn't necessarily a bad thing in the case of cover system...
It's a bad thing when a majority of the games following the template played it mostly straight and did little with it.

it doesn't inherently mean they just want the Gears money.
Only a very few didn't want Gears money, but more were more than happy enough to lazily copy the franchise mechanics with small effort. Just playing either mediocre, average, middle of the road, or worse.

I mean I don't know how I can play a game like Mass Effect Trilogy without cover or GTA/Red Dead games.
ME they could have done without cover, but they have other gameplay elements to keep the player distracted. Plus, they at least tried to improve on the cover mechanic or have a couple of unique things. Plus, ME is an RPG so I don't hold that much against it, but it's possible to make an WPRG with non-cover shooter elements. For them, it was a case of what's easiest and move on. GTA/Red Dead makes more sense with cover mechanics, so I have no complaints on them, but I have no interests in either titles anyway.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
It's a bad thing when a majority of the games following the template played it mostly straight and did little with it.

Only a very few didn't want Gears money, but more were more than happy enough to lazily copy the franchise mechanics with small effort. Just playing either mediocre, average, middle of the road, or worse.

ME they could have done without cover, but they have other gameplay elements to keep the player distracted. Plus, they at least tried to improve on the cover mechanic or have a couple of unique things. Plus, ME is an RPG so I don't hold that much against it, but it's possible to make an WPRG with non-cover shooter elements. For them, it was a case of what's easiest and move on. GTA/Red Dead makes more sense with cover mechanics, so I have no complaints on them, but I have no interests in either titles anyway.
What I actually don't like, is cover mechanics....with regenerating health on top.

Kinda defeats the point of Cover. Its why I prefer playing Gears on harder difficulties so that getting shot out of cover has dire consequences.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What I actually don't like, is cover mechanics....with regenerating health on top.

Kinda defeats the point of Cover.
Now you know why most gamers have/had problems or got sick and tired of cover shooters. A majority of them have regenerating health. A whopping 99.5% did the annoying mechanic people got tired of, instead of handing out health meters.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I wanted to run it back on my Saints Row 4 love because this is top number 1 best ending to a video game and it can not be beaten.

Soul Train Line>Everything else.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It sticking around isn't necessarily a bad thing in the case of cover system, and it doesn't inherently mean they just want the Gears money.

Red Dead is a breeze with enough dead eye core and tonics, even out in the open. You don’t even need snap aim or assist unless going for gold on some of those timed shooting missions on replay where you have limited resources.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Kingdom Hearts is a bad game series with a bad story, bad combat and bad art direction.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Red Dead is a breeze with enough dead eye core and tonics, even out in the open. You don’t even need snap aim or assist unless going for some of those timed shooting missions on replay where you have limited resources.
Honestly, RDR isn't particularly hard regardless and as mentioned, it's not like it's hard to stockpile Tonics up the wazoo. I barely ever bought tonics and made it through just just fine. I didn't even upgrade the satchel until the epilogue and even then I barely noticed it's increased carry capacity. I think the only mission I had to skip a section(when offered) was the part with the handcar and the train, because I couldn't get the timing down good enough to avoid getting hit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Stellar special effects though, by which I mean all the visuals that aren't character models or environment/assests.
A killer soundtrack too.

I don't think gameplay is bad, for most of the games anyway. The story and dialogue on the other hand is atonal mess, and a story more convoluted than Metal Gear Solid or Bayonetta combined.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is the best Donkey Kong Country game ever made. Snomads > Kremlings.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
A killer soundtrack too.

I don't think gameplay is bad, for most of the games anyway. The story and dialogue on the other hand is atonal mess, and a story more convoluted than Metal Gear Solid or Bayonetta combined.
There is a reason fans favorite scene from KH3 was Woody of all people walking up to Young Xehanort and going fuck all your darkness shit.

I love KH combat and I love KH music but the story is pretty simple the execution is convoluted and would be solved by people just talking like people.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I will literally shell out 70 dollars for a PVE focused live service game like War Thunder, and Black Desert... Anyone... Please......

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I’m simultaneously surprised and not surprised. Also,

It’s almost like the PS2 all over again, but actually better for developers now too.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
No matter how much praise people give 13 sentinels for it's sci-fi story, I still can't force myself to try it even on sale since watching an LP and seeing the first thing they do is make a flimsy excuse to strip down a school girl and leave her in a blatant sexually suggestive pose in the top left corner for your introduction. Ffs japan, are you incapable of making sci-fi games without pushing creepy otaku ass bullshit at any opportunity? Black Mirror managed like 5 seasons of sci-fi quite easily. And after the unique disappointment of the equally highly praised Near A Tomato, any potential curiosity is pretty much neutralised to nothing. Also the voice acting sounded a bit naff. Not terrible, but that type of naff where it never not sounds like someone just told to read lines dramatically instead of natural conversation and intonation/cadence.

FennecZephyr

Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United States
Honestly, I don't think I like my RPGs to have real time gameplay unless it's full action, and I don't like my turn based games to be yet another grid based XCOM or Divinity clone.

The classic 4 characters in a line taking turns style is my favorite because they don't waste my time by making me watch everyone walk slowly into place before doing whatever action they want, all one at a time.

You just tell them to attack, or cast a spell, and they just fucking do it.

No matter how much praise people give 13 sentinels for it's sci-fi story, I still can't force myself to try it even on sale since watching an LP and seeing the first thing they do is make a flimsy excuse to strip down a school girl and leave her in a blatant sexually suggestive pose in the top left corner for your introduction. Ffs japan, are you incapable of making sci-fi games without pushing creepy otaku ass bullshit at any opportunity?
There's actually a surprisingly satisfying very narratively necessary reason why everyone's naked in the Sentinels, but explaining why would require massive spoilers for literally the entire plot.

No, I'm not joking. Just play the game. Everything will make sense by the end.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Mass Effect didn’t really have a cover and fire system. That’s one of the many reasons it’s awkward to play.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
For all the whitewashing COD MW is claimed to do, it at least kept it's politics compared to Ubisoft who abandoned it completely with Rainbow Six Siege