Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Reactions: BrawlMan

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Here's a hot take I 100% agree with. Check this out @AnxietyProne. The video is from 2017.
I'd actually been interested in that when it was fresh, but got sidelined by others (I sure as shit wish I'd given it the time I gave Beatdown: Fists of whatever the fuck). Did it get any later console releases?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
(I sure as shit wish I'd given it the time I gave Beatdown: Fists of whatever the fuck). Did it get any later console releases?
Beatdown: Fist of Vengeance is the correct title.

Second, Urban Reign was only released on the PS2 unfortunately. Would it kill Namco to release on PSN/XBLA/eShop/PC for $15?

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Beatdown: Fist of Vengeance is the correct title.

Second, Urban Reign was only released on the PS2 unfortunately. Would it kill Namco to release on PSN/XBLA/eShop/PC for $15?
If they did, I'd definitely give it a chance after that video.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Some people continue playing a game they're not enjoying because they paid for it and want to get their money's worth. I think that is monumentally stupid

Because if you're not enjoying the game, you'll probably never get that money's worth, yet the time you spent trying will be gone forever.

Your money's gone. Just drop the game. Don't sink more into it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Some people continue playing a game they're not enjoying because they paid for it and want to get their money's worth. I think that is monumentally stupid!

Because if you're not enjoying the game, you'll probably never get that money's worth, yet the time you spent trying will be gone forever.

Your money's gone. Just drop the game. Don't sink more into it.
Amen to that. Time and money is a precious thing. If it's a game I know deep down I am not going to enjoy, I will not bother with said game.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Amen to that. Time and money is a precious thing. If it's a game I know deep down I am not going to enjoy, I will not bother with said game.
I consider a game 'completed' when I feel I've gotten all the entertainment out of it that I can. Sometimes that means I drop it long before ever seeing the end credits. Basically, I made a bad call. If it's a physical game, I'll sell to recuperate some of my losses. If not, though break. Lesson learned, move on, hopefully to something better. And that's fine.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I consider a game 'completed' when I feel I've gotten all the entertainment out of it that I can. Sometimes that means I drop it long before ever seeing the end credits. Basically, I made a bad call. If it's a physical game, I'll sell to recuperate some of my losses. If not, though break. Lesson learned, move on, hopefully to something better. And that's fine.
I made a couple of bad calls that were digital. Thankfully, all of them were on sale for $4.99-7.99. Some of them were on PSN unfortunately, so no refunds. So it was just delete the game and move on.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Why does every fucking game have a section of the player base that wants hard enemies that take dozens of minutes to kill, hard puzzles that require you to look it up, and even then it's hard.

I don't fucking agree. I just spend 20 minutes trying to solve one puzzle in Genshin because the stupid fucking influencers/youtube & twitch streamers wanted harder puzzles. I also had to decrease the world tier-one level which means I get fewer rewards because the enemies, and environment are fucking mental in Inazuma/Japan.

And this is coming from someone who plays Genshin almost every day, what about more casual players. Fuck them right? Not every game needs to be Dark Souls.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Why does every fucking game have a section of the player base that wants hard enemies that take dozens of minutes to kill, hard puzzles that require you to look it up, and even then it's hard.

I don't fucking agree. I just spend 20 minutes trying to solve one puzzle in Genshin because the stupid fucking influencers/youtube & twitch streamers wanted harder puzzles. I also had to decrease the world tier-one level which means I get fewer rewards because the enemies, and environment are fucking mental in Inazuma/Japan.

And this is coming from someone who plays Genshin almost every day, what about more casual players. Fuck them right? Not every game needs to be Dark Souls.
But if there's no super-difficult section, how can I feel smugly superior to other people for having beaten it?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Escape From Tarkov would make for an amazing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game, shame it's being wasted on a rather poor looter-shooter/MMO...thing.
When I first heard of it, I'd hoped it would be something like STALKER, focused around survival while performing furtive scavenging runs in areas where nearly everything is hostile.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

TLoU2’s gameplay makes the original seem like a prototype.
Is that really much of a hot take? Last I checked, most people did not have a problem with the combat. The main criticism was story, character motivations, and in terms of gameplay, too many "IMMERSION!" slow walking sections.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Is that really much of a hot take? Last I checked, most people did not have a problem with the combat. The main criticism was story, character motivations, and in terms of gameplay, too many "IMMERSION!" slow walking sections.
I’ve heard/read more times than not that it’s basically the same as the original gameplay-wise with little to no improvements, and that’s overlooking a lot of details to say the least. Far more opportunities for traps/setups with larger maps, going prone, diving, dodging, Max Payne 3 style aiming, crafting isn’t so cumbersome, breaking glass to access rooms, much better animation quality especially with melee and traversal, etc. I rarely hear anyone mention that kinda stuff outside of comments in different YouTube videos showing it all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’ve heard/read more times than not that it’s basically the same as the original gameplay-wise with little to no improvements, and that’s overlooking a lot of details to say the least. Far more opportunities for traps/setups with larger maps, going prone, diving, dodging, Max Payne 3 style aiming, crafting isn’t so cumbersome, breaking glass to access rooms, much better animation quality especially with melee and traversal, etc. I rarely hear anyone mention that kinda stuff outside of comments in different YouTube videos showing it all.
Okay, then. I believe you, I just find this surprising. After so many YT vids that go so out of their way to bash, hate on, or make fun of those that like the game, it gets lost with the arguments that look more sensible by comparison. You already know I don't like the game, but I would never go as far as to make constant take thats or put downs on those that like the game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Golden Axe II I find a bit more enjoyable than Golden Axe (Genesis version). I still like the original game, but the Genesis' port's main problem is the final boss being a complete palette swap and a annoyance. Him and the final stage are credit wasters your first time through. I love the fact in II, that you can charge your magic level as low or high as you want, or put in the classic method if you want a challenge. GA III I find a complete bore and never had the motivation to go for multiple endings. Revenge of Death Adder is still the best of the entire franchise.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The No More Heroes franchise has the best light saber combat to date. Beating all of the Star Wars games that focus heavily on melee/light saber combat.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren