Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
FF13 has like 5 or 6 discs on 360. We could barely get past disc 1, and traded the game once we got to disc 2.
I watched a 10 hour Cutscene LP of FF13 to at least get the story and character beats.

I want my 10 hours back.

Barring that, I want the writers and Director to have to attend writing and film school respectively before they make anything else.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But did you have to constantly switch discs with those?
FF13, no. FF13 was so boring, that we could not get through it any way.

The others, I have no idea, but I was just pointing them out, because they had multiple discs. Wolfenstein played well on 360 from what I heard, and you would switch discs just after major plot points. I think it's a similar case with EW, but that's if you're playing with patches. Without the patches, the game is damn near unplayable.

Rage made you switch disks every time you went to certain areas (and since the game is open world, you move between different areas a lot).
Did not know about that one. That sucks more; glad I never bought the game at all.

I watched a 10 hour Cutscene LP of FF13 to at least get the story and character beats.

I want my 10 hours back.

Barring that, I want the writers and Director to have to attend writing and film school respectively before they make anything else.
Light is the most boring and unlikable FF protag of all time. I am so sorry you had to waste 10 hours on cut-scenes. Now imagine playing this rancid hallway fucker.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The term "action adventure" might as well be meaningless.
Funny enough, DMC and most games modeled after it were called "Action-Adventure" on GameSpot/GameFAQs and IGN at the time. It was not until 2008 that all of the sites went through some various restructuring and gave proper labels to most games.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I was okay with God of War 4's comparatively small scope, because it always felt like it was leading up to something much bigger. But going straight to Ragnarok and ending the duology (?) sounds very abrupt. After watching clips from previous GoW games, I can't imagine Ragnarok exploring as much of Norse mythology as they did in those games with Greek stuff. We've seen like, four Norse gods and one giant. Maybe a handful of other significant beings from Norse myth? The story and universe have so much more to offer than what I see them putting into a single game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was okay with God of War 4's comparatively small scope, because it always felt like it was leading up to something much bigger. But going straight to Ragnarok and ending the duology (?) sounds very abrupt. After watching clips from previous GoW games, I can't imagine Ragnarok exploring as much of Norse mythology as they did in those games with Greek stuff. We've seen like, four Norse gods and one giant. Maybe a handful of other significant beings from Norse myth? The story and universe have so much more to offer than what I see them putting into a single game.

I'm honestly okay with whatever happens. We can't all get whatever we want or will expect everything to be. If they decide to end it in the Ragnarok story line here, I have nothing to worry about. It'll be a great run either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

I'm honestly okay with whatever happens. We can't all get whatever we want or will expect everything to be. If they decide to end it in the Ragnarok story line here, I have nothing to worry about. It'll be a great run either way.
It'll be great, of that I'm sure. But I can't help think of what could have been.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It'll be great, of that I'm sure. But I can't help think of what could have been.
Bobby, in this industry, you'll see a lot of what could have been. Regardless if a game or game series became successful or not. You should see a lot of the story ideas and concepts that were never used in God of War II. The staff had a fight on what setting to take place in God of War 4. It was either going to be Norse or Egypt, and the former won out because of the popularity of Thor movies. Don't even get me started on the production cycle on nearly each Devil May Cry game.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I can't remember where I saw it but apparently they don't want to drag it out to a trilogy just because. I remember GOW2 and GOW3 where you end GOW2 with the Titans attacking Olympus, and then almost immediately afterwards in GOW3, the Titans more or less get swatted down off the mountain and Kratos spends almost the entire game reclimbing the mountain. It feels like the decision to draw out the "Take on Olympus" storyline into GOW3 created of the problem of that didn't have enough gameplay to make the game long enough with him just murdering gods with the titans, so they find a way to depower him, dump him back into Hades yet again and go chasing after Pandora's box(or whatever) yet again and it feels like they didn't know what to do with the extra runtime of a third game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can't remember where I saw it but apparently they don't want to drag it out to a trilogy just because. I remember GOW2 and GOW3 where you end GOW2 with the Titans attacking Olympus, and then almost immediately afterwards in GOW3, the Titans more or less get swatted down off the mountain and Kratos spends almost the entire game reclimbing the mountain. It feels like the decision to draw out the "Take on Olympus" storyline into GOW3 created of the problem of that didn't have enough gameplay to make the game long enough with him just murdering gods with the titans, so they find a way to depower him, dump him back into Hades yet again and go chasing after Pandora's box(or whatever) yet again and it feels like they didn't know what to do with the extra runtime of a third game.
Thank you for putting that into words. I said this before and I say it again, a lot of the classic God of War games have almost always had pacing issues. The third game being the biggest sin of this. I know by the time I got to the 2/3 point, I was ready for the game to be over already that's why I find less and less reason to go back to the classic games.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Thank you for putting that into words. I said this before and I say it again, a lot of the classic God of War games have almost always had pacing issues. The third game being the biggest sin of this. I know by the time I got to the 2/3 point, I was ready for the game to be over already that's why I find less and less reason to go back to the classic games.
I'm a big proponent that stories should be as long or short as they need to be. Drawing them out just to have more runtime just means the same amount of story is stretched over a longer period and weakens the pacing and impact, while compressing them means stuff just kinda piles on top of each other and can ruin the impact the same way, or there's no real buildup that ruins any kind of payoff. The later seasons of Game of Thrones had a massive problem with trying to have payoff after payoff without building up first so shit just kind of happens without showing why they happen and it just doesn't work(Season 7 in particular had one episodes where like 2 major cities fall in the same episode and neither of them really seem to get any real screen time or have much impact). And of course, that one time the GOT/ASOIAF equivalent of the Vatican got blown up and like barely anyone seems to care or even mention it(Sam mentions it like once, IIRC).

I realize video games are more complex than books and (probably) TV shows in how they're produced but still, you can tell when something has gone wrong with the story because it's either too long or too short. Books aren't immune to this either but it's easier to avoid this because normally a book is the work of single person and adding or subtracting pages is a hell of a lot easier then filming 10 more episodes or making 10 more hours of meaningful gameplay.

Sorry, I got a little distracted there.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Plus that titan stuff was hella complicated for the team to get it working let alone polished. There was a third titan set piece planned for the end game but they had to trim it significantly. Regardless it basically boils down to the fact you can only rage and murder your way through Olympus so much before it starts getting old.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I can't remember where I saw it but apparently they don't want to drag it out to a trilogy just because.
I saw that too, but I had my doubts if that was the real reason or if they just wanna do something else now. I'm not at all against just having two games, but I never felt like that was where they were headed. They spent the whole of GoW 2018 building Thor and Odin up, so it really seemed like they were planning a trilogy with each of them headlining a game as a villain. But hey, I'm no writer, maybe they have an excellent way of tying up all the loose ends in Ragnarok.

That, or Ragnarok being the last game just mean its Kratos' last game and we'll continue the story as Atreus/Loki.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I saw that too, but I had my doubts if that was the real reason or if they just wanna do something else now. I'm not at all against just having two games, but I never felt like that was where they were headed. They spent the whole of GoW 2018 building Thor and Odin up, so it really seemed like they were planning a trilogy with each of them headlining a game as a villain. But hey, I'm no writer, maybe they have an excellent way of tying up all the loose ends in Ragnarok.

That, or Ragnarok being the last game just mean its Kratos' last game and we'll continue the story as Atreus/Loki.
I thought that at one time too but No, they’d be foolish to kill off Kratos as he’s the impossibly redeemed golden goose. He needs to follow through on the original vision of going through each mythology. Atreus doesn’t need that burden; that’s Kratos’s alone, but we all know he can handle it.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Borderlands 3 is the best Borderlands game and its quite a good game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I still have a preference for the GBA over the Nintendo DS. I definitely have a lot more games than the latter. The DS has good games, but a lot of the early ones are not worth going through, because of the touch screen only controls being too finicky and gimmicky. Most developers and publishers not named Nintendo agreed, as a lot of later DS games only use the touch screen controls to navigate menus and that was about it.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I still have a preference of the GBA over the Nintendo DS. I definitely have a lot more games than the latter. The DS has good games, but a lot of the early ones are not worth going through, because of the touch screen only controls being too finicky and gimmicky. Most developers and publishers not named Nintendo agreed, as a lot of later DS games only use the touch screen controls to navigate menus and that was about it.

Was tempted here and there but glad I never ended up getting one. Advance was my last Nintendo handheld.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Was tempted here and there but glad I never ended up getting one. Advance was my last Nintendo handheld.
Don't get me wrong, the DS has good games, but a majority of them I did not find interest in. The ones I did I mostly kept. What's even more ironic is that I bought more games for the 3DS than I did the ds, but it also suffer a similar problem. The 3D was a gimmick and I usually had it off. Shinobi on 3DS I could not play because the bonus sections required 3D to play and it would hurt my eyes. I know you'll never get a DS type console, but if you ever find a 2DS or a 3DS XL at a decent or cheap price, I do recommend it. Another reason why I didn't get too many games on the DS, is because I was just losing interest in portable games at that point. Even if I didn't want to admit it at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker