Your video game hot take(s) thread

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Disgaea DS is the only game I've played where the leveling goes over 100. The game is pretty much designed around make all the numbers bigger, but I thought it was still a pretty fun game. Leveling goes pretty fast late in the game.
Disgaea is a series I really like for the wacky world and even wackier characters but I've always found the gameplay insufferably grindy. And that's a shame.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Not exactly a gaming hot take. Its more of a hardware hot take.

I really don't like the Joycon controller. Its not designed for precise controls. There's something very clunky in how the joystick is implemented. In most controllers you can ''roll'' the stick in a circular manner and move it in every direction, but with a Joycon it feels....different, and really off putting. It always surprises me how much worse I perform with a Joycon. And with both the Joycon and the classic controller there seems to be some sort of input delay when I press buttons. At times with platformers I know I jump on time, I can feel my fingers press the button only for my character to just walk straight into the pit.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not exactly a gaming hot take. Its more of a hardware hot take.

I really don't like the Joycon controller. Its not designed for precise controls. There's something very clunky in how the joystick is implemented. In most controllers you can ''roll'' the stick in a circular manner and move it in every direction, but with a Joycon it feels....different, and really off putting. It always surprises me how much worse I perform with a Joycon. And with both the Joycon and the classic controller there seems to be some sort of input delay when I press buttons. At times with platformers I know I jump on time, I can feel my fingers press the button only for my character to just walk straight into the pit.
Get a couple of these. They only cost $20 and work super well. Better than the Joy Con or Classic Controller. The Hori Pad Controllers are pretty good too.

Wireless Switch Controllers Compatible with Nintendo Switch/Lite/OLED Game Console, Switch Pro Controller w/Turbo, Rumble, Motion Control, Screenshot, Echo Red/Blue Switch Remote Controllers

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Uncharted, for all its streamlined platforming, banal 'hold forward' flashbacks and scripted action set-pieces, is nowhere near 'basically a movie' as its critics tend to characterize it. And if you think skill isn't a part of the experience then you haven't played any of them on Crushing difficulty. Hell, even picnic mode poses a level of challenge to the median gamer, if I know anything from watching others play it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
More like using a meter bar to either remove a Mook completely or lay down the hurt on a boss
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but if everyone started doing it, that mechanic would wear out its welcome fast.

It is more about environment interaction.
There's plenty of that in Sleeping Dogs, and especially Urban Reign. The though the former uses Arkham style combat unfortunately as a template. UR on the other hand allows the player to do environmental interaction and team ups with or without a meter. And most definitely without a button prompt/QTE. If anything, more games should learn from Urban Reign.

I know games like Simpsons Arcade had it, but nothing's like dragging a guy to get their head microwaved or be sent away on a winch
Konami were the kings of interactive weapons, environments, and curb-stomping/kick them while they are down in brawlers. They perfected it in Vendetta/Crime Fighters 2, Violent Storm, and Metamorphic Force.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Uncharted, for all its streamlined platforming, banal 'hold forward' flashbacks and scripted action set-pieces, is nowhere near 'basically a movie' as its critics tend to characterize it. And if you think skill isn't a part of the experience then you haven't played any of them on Crushing difficulty. Hell, even picnic mode poses a level of challenge to the median gamer, if I know anything from watching others play it.
You're gonna love these...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
You're gonna love these...

That also kinda reminds me of another hot take, that ND’s early motion captured animation quality in those days was pretty damn overrated. So many jerky movements like Nate nearly teleporting in to choke dudes, and flat out awkward looking blending between things like platforming swing & grab stuff. Maybe it’s because the 60fps remaster isn’t doing the older tech limitations any favors.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
This is more a videogame review hot take than a videogame hot take, but I think if a developer makes 2 same genre, same format games, it's fair that they get compared.

Like, when evaluating 100 hour Atlus JRPG Shin Megami Tensei 5, SMT spin off series 100 hour Atlus JRPG Persona 5 is a valid point of comparison.

Like how comparing Dark Souls to Bloodborne isn't, or at least shouldn't, be controversial

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Like how comparing Dark Souls to Bloodborne isn't, or at least shouldn't, be controversial
The funny thing is Dark Souls III takes a lot more influence from Bloodborne and is faster paced, compared to its two other prequels. I know not many made complaints or contradicted that statement when DS III first launched.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The funny thing is Dark Souls III takes a lot more influence from Bloodborne and is faster paced, compared to its two other prequels. I know not many made complaints or contradicted that statement when DS III first launched.
Yathzee made a joke about how DS3 was basically latching onto bits of BB still floating around the office. He's not wrong. It feels very inspired by BB, though I don't think that's a terrible thing. I loved BB and I felt DS3 was a good follow-up for a game that's not BB2(I mean, I will miss ever other dude you meet not rambling on about BLLLLLUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDD).

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Way of the Samurai series has the best decision making affecting the plot for any video game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yathzee made a joke about how DS3 was basically latching onto bits of BB still floating around the office. He's not wrong. It feels very inspired by BB, though I don't think that's a terrible thing. I loved BB and I felt DS3 was a good follow-up for a game that's not BB2(I mean, I will miss ever other dude you meet not rambling on about BLLLLLUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDD).
While it looks like a God Mode was enabled, the gameplay showing of Elden Ring helped assuage my concerns about them possibly going too far down the line to where the player's sense of weight, presence and vulnerability is completely overshadowed for the sake of playability. I think it's still important with *Souls* games that, while fantasy-based, the player still feels like they have some human limitations and are appropriately affected by things they interact with, especially with build types.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'll just come right out and say it, Crysis 3 is the best game in the entire Crysis franchise. Sure, the game is not as long as 1 or 2, but it's not short by that much. The stages are longer and more diverse, and has the best of both worlds. Not to mention, it has better overall improvements when it comes to the nano suit powers over the first two games.

To the hardcore PC crowd that said Crytek betrayed them and the entire community, y'all can screw right off. They didn't "betray" anyone. They made what they thought was the best decision they could. Not everybody got what they wanted, but so what? As the entire franchise has proven, each game was barely able to break even. So even if they pandered more to the PC crowd, the results would have been the same or even worse when it came to sales. Just be happy you got four games and none of them are bad.

This franchise is also one of the best from 7th generation. It's definitely aged better than a lot FPS franchises from seventh generation. Ended on a better note than FEAR or BioShock; especially if we're talking about trilogies.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I'll just come right out and say it, Crysis 3 is the best game in the entire Crysis franchise. Sure, the game is not as long as 1 or 2, but it's not short by that much. The stages are longer and more diverse, and has the best of both worlds. Not to mention, it has better overall improvements when it comes to the nano suit powers over the first two games.

To the hardcore PC crowd that said Crytek betrayed them in the entire community, y'all can screw right off. They didn't "betray" anyone. They made what they thought was the best decision they could. Not everybody got what they wanted, but so what? As the entire Series has proven, each game was barely able to break even. So even if they pandered to the more PC crowd, the results would have been the same or even worse when it came to sales. Just be happy you got four games and none of them are bad.

This franchise is also one of the best from 7th generation. It's definitely age better than a lot FPS franchises from seventh generation. Ended on a better note than FEAR of BioShock. Especially if we're talking about trilogies.
Wait, so what happened with the PC crowd being pissy over Crysis 3? I didn't play any games past the first one(and I liked that well enough) and I generally follow PC stuff, but could you elaborate on this because I can't recall anything about it offhand?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wait, so what happened with the PC crowd being pissy over Crysis 3? I didn't play any games past the first one(and I liked that well enough) and I generally follow PC stuff, but could you elaborate on this because I can't recall anything about it offhand?
It all starts back with the second game. The reason why PC players are/were so mad, because the second game was made more so with consoles in mind. We all know that the 360 and PS3 cannot handle the graphics of Crysis. They went for a more console audience to expand their market. The really vindictive PC players cryed foul, and claimed that Crytek were "consolizing, casualizing, or appealing too much to the Call of Duty crowd". While Crysis 2 and 3 (more so the former) takes some influences from COD, they are all still their own unique thing. They're all better games than any of the Call of Duty games. I've had more fun with Crysis, than any COD game and its many pale imitations.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
It all starts back with the second game. The reason why PC players are/were so mad, because the second game was made more so with consoles in mind. We all know that the 360 and PS3 cannot handle the graphics of crisis. They went for a more console audience to expand their market. The really vindictive PC players cryed foul, and claimed that Crytek were "consolizing, casualizing, or appealing too much to the Call of Duty crowd". While Crysis 2 and 3 (more so the former) takes some influences from COD, they are all still their own unique thing. They're all better games than any of the Call of Duty games. I've had more fun with Crysis, than any card game and its many pale imitations.

I swear PC gamers can be such entitled shits sometimes.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Uncharted seems to be a magnet for criticism that holds little water, but then become universally adopted by the whole community, like the ever favorite 'ludonarrative disssonance'. It's like with the door scene from Titanic; bad criticism that spreads until everyone blindly parrots it.

Criticizing the skill level holds more ground, but only really in as much as the regenerating health and the player's inability to have any control over it making playing the game on harder difficulties an exercise in bashing your head against a wall.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I don't care what the tryhards call me, make the stealth sections optimal. Anytime I have to do a stealth section I hate it. I was just playing Bright Memory Infinite, I defeated a serious boss, and got a bunch of upgrades, instant stealth section. Minus the shaking the games actually pretty good.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Telltale helped saved adventure games and then when the Walking Dead hit it big they became Victims of their own success and spent all their time chasing IPs instead of making good games. Also, serious fucking crunch due to the episodic structure. When the studio died it was a bordering on a mercy kill.
For extra irony, Telltale nearly killed the adventure game genre again. You got some that still exist, but it's Supermassive Games that are pumping these products out now.