Your video game hot take(s) thread

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ah, Final Fantasy.
The only two I ever played for any length were FF8 and FF7 remake. I kind of didn't really game much when 7 was huge so I was completely unaware of how beloved it was.
I played 8 'cause I got a cheap PS1 and it was... there.. I don't remember. I remember beating it and kind... not loving it?.. but I was determined? I dunno way, honestly, it was a weird time in my life.
7 remake was just something that was on sale and everybody was talking about it. I like it fine. I was completely unaware of the whole "it's only 1/4 of the actual game" thing lol.

I think if you like weeb stuff and turn based combat, it's probably awesome amazing but if you don't (like me) it's just not for you.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ah, Final Fantasy.
The only two I ever played for any length were FF8 and FF7 remake. I kind of didn't really game much when 7 was huge so I was completely unaware of how beloved it was.
I played 8 'cause I got a cheap PS1 and it was... there.. I don't remember. I remember beating it and kind... not loving it?.. but I was determined? I dunno way, honestly, it was a weird time in my life.
7 remake was just something that was on sale and everybody was talking about it. I like it fine. I was completely unaware of the whole "it's only 1/4 of the actual game" thing lol.

I think if you like weeb stuff and turn based combat, it's probably awesome amazing but if you don't (like me) it's just not for you.
8 is the only game in the first 10 I've never played. The other 9 I've played and beaten but none of the games after 10 sound that interesting to me.

I'm also that guy who played 9 and 10 back to back a decade ago and vastly preferred 9 to 10, despite some of the flaws. 10 annoyed me for a lot of reasons, Tidus being a big one.

And yes I'm calling him Tie-dus because the game doesn't bother to give you a spoken example of his name so I'm going with the long I sound. It's a full voice acted game, the other characters can address Tidus by his damn name. Deal with it

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
If your endgame has no procedurally generated dungeons. The game will get boring unless you do updates every 2 weeks.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If your endgame has no procedurally generated dungeons. The game will get boring unless you do updates every 2 weeks.
That is bullshit. If the game has a great gameplay loop, or if the craft is in the mechanics, world design, or stage design, then PGDs are not needed. Not every fucking game needs to be a Rouge-like/Rouge-lite. If everyone did that, then games would be even more boring. There are plenty of games I've played multiple times, that did not have PGDs. For those that want more out of a game, it better have a few bonus modes, extra missions, or a higher difficulty (that is balanced properly of course).

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Ah, Final Fantasy.

8 isn't particularly good for various reason, spending an hour drawing magic everything time you encounter a new enemy being one of the big one. I wouldn't judge the full franchise based on it.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
That is bullshit. If the game has a great gameplay loop, or if the craft is in the mechanics, world design, or stage design, then PGDs are not needed. Not every fucking game needs to be a Rouge-like/Rouge-lite. If everyone did that, then games would be even more boring. There are plenty of games I've played multiple times, that did not have PGDs. For those that want more out of a game, it better have a few bonus modes, extra missions, or a higher difficulty (that is balanced properly of course).
I was talking about the first Divison 1 Game. And This is mainly because I want to keep playing a game as long as possible. Every time you make a transition into a new game like a live service game you need to re-grind and do a whole bunch of stuff. This is why I play Genshin, and Live-service games with good endgames, so that I don't need to re-grind stuff.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was talking about the first Divison 1 Game. And This is mainly because I want to keep playing a game as long as possible. Every time you make a transition into a new game like a live service game you need to re-grind and do a whole bunch of stuff.
Okay, I wish you started with that in the first place, but thank you.

This is why I play Genshin, and Live-service games with good endgames, so that I don't need to re-grind stuff.
Good or bad, Genshin and live-service games are not worth a damn thing to this man.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I was talking about the first Divison 1 Game. And This is mainly because I want to keep playing a game as long as possible. Every time you make a transition into a new game like a live service game you need to re-grind and do a whole bunch of stuff. This is why I play Genshin, and Live-service games with good endgames, so that I don't need to re-grind stuff.
I play Genshin and I wouldn't say it has good endgame, the abyss gets old really fast and there's not much else. Outside of that all there is to do is level/talent up character and get good artifacts, which is 100% grinding (I'm already dreading having to gear up Zhongli if I end up winning him). I guess you could say the events are sorta endgame but they tend to be pretty easy to access so it feel weird to call them end game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I play Genshin and I wouldn't say it has good endgame, the abyss gets old really fast and there's not much else. Outside of that all there is to do is level/talent up character and get good artifacts, which is 100% grinding (I'm already dreading having to gear up Zhongli if I end up winning him). I guess you could say the events are sorta endgame but they tend to be pretty easy to access so it feel weird to call them end game.
It has lots of updates.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I like Xcom: Chimera Squad more then Xcom 2. I liked how you didn't have to feel like your whole game was fucked if one of your high levels went down, I liked the larger emphasis on characters, I liked how you were the invading force (the dynamic entries were a lot of fun) and I really liked how it continued the story and actually thought about what would happen with all these aliens on earth after the mind controller/big boss was killed. Its all well and good to say "round em up and shoot 'em in the head", but history has shown that even the worst groups to have a hard time with that after while. It made me excited to see what they do with Xcom 3 and really hoping they don't retread old grounds and just turn it back into simply humans vs everything, again.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
So the giant lady from Resident Evil 8, Is winning best character awards and I totally find it nonsensical. She isn’t memorial at all aside from her design. There’s nothing wrong looking sexy, but my issue here is that she is winning based on her sex appeal and not her character qualities. She dies pretty early on in Resident evil 8 and she barely has any character to her. She’s pretty much an after thought to the whole story, yet she’s winning awards. It would honestly boggle my mind but we all know why she is winning.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
So the giant lady from Resident Evil 8, Is winning best character awards and I totally find it nonsensical. She isn’t memorial at all aside from her design. There’s nothing wrong looking sexy, but my issue here is that she is winning based on her sex appeal and not her character qualities. She dies pretty early on in Resident evil 8 and she barely has any character to her. She’s pretty much an after thought to the whole story, yet she’s winning awards. It would honestly boggle my mind but we all know why she is winning.
"Award for inspiring most onlyfans cosplay"

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I honestly find it all very amusing that the big thing everyone seems to remember from RE8 was GIANT TITTY LADY despite being in the game for what...30 min? 2 hours? The other thing I can remember was a giant terror baby.

Then again, VAAS was in Far Cry 3 for a grand total of maybe 10 minutes and he's totally not the final boss either.

Last edited:

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I honestly find it all very amusing that the big thing everyone seems to remember from RE8 was GIANT TITTY LADY despite being in the game for what...30 min? 2 hours? The other thing I can remember was a giant terror baby.

Then again, VAAS was in Far Cry 3 for a grand total of maybe 10 minutes and he's totally not the final boss either.
To be Frank Resident Evil 8 was kinda forgettable. Not bad, but it didn’t leave a lasting impression on me. It felt like resident evil 4 but in first person.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I like Xcom: Chimera Squad more then Xcom 2. I liked how you didn't have to feel like your whole game was fucked if one of your high levels went down, I liked the larger emphasis on characters, I liked how you were the invading force (the dynamic entries were a lot of fun) and I really liked how it continued the story and actually thought about what would happen with all these aliens on earth after the mind controller/big boss was killed. Its all well and good to say "round em up and shoot 'em in the head", but history has shown that even the worst groups to have a hard time with that after while. It made me excited to see what they do with Xcom 3 and really hoping they don't retread old grounds and just turn it back into simply humans vs everything, again.
Disagree but only because chimera squad lacked content and variety, if there was a bit more enemy and mission variety I'd agree. if they make XCOM 3 I hope they mostly build from chimera squad. I especially liked that they moved away from the truly awful pod activation mechanic that would activly punish you for trying to flank enemy.

As far as gacha mechanic in genshin impact, they don't really matter. All the good content is 100% free, content updates are incredibly frequent (minor every 2 weeks and major every 6 weeks or so) and the only aspect where gacha matter is building a meta team for the abyss, which is a tiny aspect of the game that really doesn't matter (think arena fights that reset every 2 weeks for small reward) and can eventually be done as F2P. Otherwise you get plenty of weapon/character just playing for free. I've done almost all the content in the game and never spent a dime. If the whales want to keep raining money on the devs so they crank out update at breakneck speed while I play for free, I'm cool with that.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
8 isn't particularly good for various reason, spending an hour drawing magic everything time you encounter a new enemy being one of the big one. I wouldn't judge the full franchise based on it.
You mean spending 5 minutes drawing up to 100 for each new enemy, then never having to ever stop to fight that type of enemy again... thus neatly eliminating the hours and hours of grind for the thousands of random encounters you have to do leveling up materia in 7. Then yes. Kidding of course, we've had that argument before and just disagree. I prefer not having to roam around the overworld praying for another random encounter because each one gives you 1 point for materia used, and typically you need 100 or more encounters to level it up. Yeah, drawing up to 100 for new spells is tedious. But it can be done in 1 random encounter... then you never have to fight that particular enemy ever again. To me it was an elimination of the ridiculous grind for random encounters 7 had. You can play through 8 and never once have to run around in a circle in the overworld trying to trigger the next random encounter just because I desire to cast fira instead of fire.

I won't defend the story, visuals, or just overall experience; 7 was superior. But I'll always defend grind, 8 just had way less.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I haven't played much of Chimera Squad, but I like it far more than the normal game. I like how it streamlines the game because I really only cared about doing the combat and not the base building stuff. I also hated how the whole combat loop worked where you would move up your scout and then not move up anyone else any further because the possibility revealing the enemy and not really being able to do anything since you moved your other guys. Chimera Squad gets you straight into combat without that wandering around the level BS.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok, here's my hottest video game take: I think there is actually SOME sort of relationship between video game gun mechanics and real-life gun violence.

I'm not sure what the international presence of this forum is yet but I'm American, and gun violence is a serious serious problem here, to the point where it's this weird sick cultural thing. So no I'm certainly not "blaming" video games for real-life violence. But now that the graphics and technology are so powerful, and we have FPS and now VR, it certainly glorifies it. And yeah, movies and pop culture and more important stuff that isn't pop culture glorified it first. Games are just one element. But it's the one that affects young people.

Guns are cool, that is the subconscious message you get when playing very popular games. Unlike movies/TV though, you are the one winning and being cool with a virtual gun. But unlike swords or magic or axes or whatever, guns are a for-real problem in this country and I don't like that they are cool in games so much anymore.

No, I'm not proposing banning it or any of that, it's just how I feel and is most certainly the thing that puts me at odds with most habitual gamers.