Your video game hot take(s) thread

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
You mean spending 5 minutes drawing up to 100 for each new enemy, then never having to ever stop to fight that type of enemy again... thus neatly eliminating the hours and hours of grind for the thousands of random encounters you have to do leveling up materia in 7. Then yes. Kidding of course, we've had that argument before and just disagree. I prefer not having to roam around the overworld praying for another random encounter because each one gives you 1 point for materia used, and typically you need 100 or more encounters to level it up. Yeah, drawing up to 100 for new spells is tedious. But it can be done in 1 random encounter... then you never have to fight that particular enemy ever again. To me it was an elimination of the ridiculous grind for random encounters 7 had. You can play through 8 and never once have to run around in a circle in the overworld trying to trigger the next random encounter just because I desire to cast fira instead of fire.

I won't defend the story, visuals, or just overall experience; 7 was superior. But I'll always defend grind, 8 just had way less.
I dunno why you were grinding with random monster in FF7 for materia point, the only time I'd grind was at the end of the game with mover and elixir pot, who would give hundreds of point per battles.

And drawing took way more than 5 minutes, it was closer to 10 mins per characters (more on higher level monster who would give less per draw), so about 30 min per new ennemy, time around 50 magics or so.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I haven't played much of Chimera Squad, but I like it far more than the normal game. I like how it streamlines the game because I really only cared about doing the combat and not the base building stuff. I also hated how the whole combat loop worked where you would move up your scout and then not move up anyone else any further because the possibility revealing the enemy and not really being able to do anything since you moved your other guys. Chimera Squad gets you straight into combat without that wandering around the level BS.
Pretty much agree. Although, I do kinda like the base building mechanics in theory, just in practice they tend to get tedious really quickly.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
So BotW is considered by iGN to be the best game ever? Yeah no, nothing about that game screams best game ever to me. The story is an after thought. You go through the same four dungeons fighting the same boss and then you fight Ganon for the hundredth time yippee! The open world is just another Ubisoft style snooze fest with towers. The fucking weapon breaking system is annoying and it can go to hell. The only thing BotW did anything good for the open world formula was actually being able to get anywhere. You have total freedom to traverse the open world. Unlike say Bethesda games where you have to endure invisible walls when climbing a mountain. But that’s it. If BotW were any other game not named Zelda it wouldn’t have garndered the praise it gets.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
So BotW is considered by iGN to be the best game ever? Yeah no, nothing about that game screams best game ever to me. The story is an after thought. You go through the same four dungeons fighting the same boss and then you fight Ganon for the hundredth time yippee! The open world is just another Ubisoft style snooze fest with towers. The fucking weapon breaking system is annoying and it can go to hell. The only thing BotW did anything good for the open world formula was actually being able to get anywhere. You have total freedom to traverse the open world. Unlike say Bethesda games where you have to endure invisible walls when climbing a mountain. But that’s it. If BotW were any other game not named Zelda it wouldn’t have garndered the praise it gets.
Man I feel the same way.
And yet, every time I see people talking about this game like it blew their minds and filled them with spiritual glee, how it's this groundbreaking artistic accomplishment or whatever, or actually even fun and not just scrolling through weapon and food item menus and walking walking walking walking walking, I feel like I'm just a blind idiot that's missing something. Am I crazy? No, the world is crazy!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I disagree with Hardcore Gaming 101 so hard on this. While it is true Streets of Rage 1 is the simplest of the series and not much depth, it is still worth playing. Not so much the gameplay, but for the God-like soundtrack! Yeah, you can just listen to the soundtrack nowadays without playing the game, but that is not always fun. Also, SOR has atmosphere just like the rest of the game. That intro sets the stage for the rest of the game and sequels to come. I would still play SOR over the US/World version of SOR3 too. To add to this, sometimes it's best to skip the first game in the franchise. Other times it's not. It varies from game to game, but sometimes it's at least nice to play the first game in a long running series or franchise if the means to are available. At least that way newer players, or those that have forgotten can be given better context or reference of what is going on and why the fans stuck around.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I dunno why you were grinding with random monster in FF7 for materia point, the only time I'd grind was at the end of the game with mover and elixir pot, who would give hundreds of point per battles.

And drawing took way more than 5 minutes, it was closer to 10 mins per characters (more on higher level monster who would give less per draw), so about 30 min per new ennemy, time around 50 magics or so.
Wow, bad video choice to make a point. That guy needs to junction something better to his magic. He's only getting 3-7 per draw... on pathetic early game spells. No wonder it took him nearly 10 minutes to draw to full. It takes 5 or less when you junction up your magic stats and basically always draw 9. Dude just needs to Emo Git gud.

In 7 I'd grind for better materia, so I could be overpowered for the next section of the game. It takes ages of grind in 7 if you want to get overpowered early on, it takes 5 minutes per junction slot in 8 no matter when you do it. And the upside; a few easy junctions early and a little maintenance every so often... you can be overpowered for the whole game, not just the end game.

Just the play example. I'd play 7 for a while and get to a point where fights start to get tough and random encounters become a bit of a hassle. So I'd go back to a previous area and grind to level up... then go to the previously tough area and grind to level up for the next area... and this cycle repeats dozens of times in the game. In 8; you get a random encounter walking to the next objective, draw to full if you encounter something new otherwise just slaughter it and move on... and then continue on to the objective. The upside is you don't really ever have to stop and grind, you will probably always encounter anything you need to on your way to the next thing you are doing. The balance is, 7 is a game you want to savor a little more and 8 is a game that benefits from being able to go through it way more quickly. Random encounters aren't my favorite part of any Final Fantasy game... 8 is just the one that limits it the most.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
“Game developers” like Hideo Kojima , David Cage and Yoko Taro are not actual game developers but showmen who rather seek the limelight then focus on gaming.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Not to say you're wrong, since this is all about hot takes, but BotW does one thing that pretty much no open-world does eventhough they really should. And that's interacting with the actual world. And it's not just the climbing. BotW has this vibe of going into your backyard and seeing what's what; rooting around in the grass, checking under a bush, lifting a tile to see underneath. It gives the world a tactile feeling very few if any open-world games have. The world is comprised of areas that feel designed like little playgrounds for you to mess about in for a couple of minutes, and that's ignoring the shrines.

Whereas nearly all open-world games feel like the gameworld is there for you to run through, BotW's open-world feels there for you to actually play with. And I think it's this that really sets it apart for most people who like it.

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
“Game developers” like Hideo Kojima , David Cage and Yoko Taro are not actual game developers but showmen who rather seek the limelight then focus on gaming.
While Kojima definitely loves the attention, he still does show a genuine interest and doing interesting stuff with video games, to mixed results. Yoko Taro's pretty similar, with his games often incorporating mechanics and features that can only be done in a video game, showing, in my eyes, that he enjoys making games and wants to do original things. Plus he's been doing the 'weird, wacky, mask-wearing' thing long before he became well known. It's just his thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
At at least Yoko Taro tries, even if he has a lot of game design philosophies I disagree with. Kojima doesn't even try anymore and is just up his own ass, and I've already said enough about David Cage. He's a writer that couldn't make it anywhere in Hollywood so he overcompensates. That's literally the only reason why he's in the game industry. Suda51 is better than all of them.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
With HK it might be truer than ever now, because apparently his studio is going to take a turn into film production of some sorts.

At at least Yoko Taro tries, even if he has a lot of game design philosophies I disagree with. Kojima doesn't even try anymore and is just up his own ass, and I've already said enough about David Cage. He's a writer that couldn't make it anywhere in Hollywood so he overcompensates. That's literally the only reason why he's in the game industry. Suda51 is better than all of them.

To be fair, Death Stranding may often be a grandiose display of narcissism but no other games have taken walking sim mechanics to such lengths. If it’s lacking anything it’d be restraint on several levels, and it’s compounded by the fact the open world has been met with complaints about it feeling like too much filler.

Last edited:

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
In regards to Ubisoft. I’d always consider them to be the lesser of the two evils when it comes to the major publishers like EA and Activision. This isn’t to say they are good by any means, but when the bar is so low then it’s an accomplishment I guess. Why I consider Ubisoft to be slightly better then the others comes down to several reasons.

1. They actually listened to some forms of criticisms in regards to their games. Like not churning out an Assassins Creed game every year or shrinking down the map in Valhalla after so many people complained about the huge map in Odyssey.

2.They do release an interesting new game that isn’t a franchise staple like Far Cry. While EA and Activision release the same damn games every year.

3. Their games tend to be single player focused. Which is good in my opinion. I never liked multiplayer crap to begin with. Sure we can debate the quality of their games as well. But at least Ubisoft does put a focus on single player games then say Activison.

With all that said. Ubisoft is still a crappy company.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In regards to Ubisoft. I’d always consider them to be the lesser of the two evils when it comes to the major publishers like EA and Activision. This isn’t to say they are good by any means, but when the bar is so low then it’s an accomplishment I guess. Why I consider Ubisoft to be slightly better then the others comes down to several reasons.

1. They actually listened to some forms of criticisms in regards to their games. Like not churning out an Assassins Creed game every year or shrinking down the map in Valhalla after so many people complained about the huge map in Odyssey.

2.They do release an interesting new game that isn’t a franchise staple like Far Cry. While EA and Activision release the same damn games every year.

3. Their games tend to be single player focused. Which is good in my opinion. I never liked multiplayer crap to begin with. Sure we can debate the quality of their games as well. But at least Ubisoft does put a focus on single player games then say Activison.

Between all three of these, I don't see much of a difference at this point. They are all the exact same evil as far as I'm concerned. While Ubisoft may focus more on single player by comparison, it doesn't change the fact that that their campaigns just vary in so much quality or are so generic that it doesn't matter. Add into the fact that they too are trying to incorporate, and the most vocal about it, nft's into their games does not bode well for future single player games that come out.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Between all three of these, I don't see much of a difference at this point. They are all the exact same evil as far as I'm concerned. While Ubisoft may focus more on single player by comparison, it doesn't change the fact that that their campaigns just vary in so much quality or are so generic that it doesn't matter. Add into the fact that they too are trying to incorporate, and the most vocal about it, nft's into their games does not bode well for future single player games that come out.
I do like to add I felt this way about them years back before NFTs were a thing. I’m not saying they re good or pro consumer. Just how they are slightly better company then ea or Activision.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Just how they are slightly better company then ea or Activision.
That's the thing, I don't feel that way. They're all nearly exactly the same with minuet differences. Games or no games, I don't consider Ubisoft even slightly better than those two. I will be honest with you and say that I do hate Activision and Ubisoft more than EA lately.

I will say that my hatred for Ubisoft started when they kept doing almost nothing but Assassin's Creed, and how they screwed over Rayman Legends release date. They got cold feet and at least the game no longer as a Wii U exclusive, and decided to put it out at the same time when GTA V was coming to release. Had they stuck with their guns, the game would have sold fine. All the more ironic is that the Wii U version sold the best out of all the versions.

Not the first time they screwed over a smaller game. When No More Heroes 1 and 2 were published by Ubisoft, they did not advertise the game in any way or fashion outside of some minor magazine blurbs or ads on the instruction manuals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fallen Soldier

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

I would say Ubisoft is on a cliff. Breakpoint and Far Cry 6 were unmitigated disasters with a huge emphasis on minimizing develop efforts and trying to fill big empty voids with procedurally generated environments while wasting those development cycles on multiplayer DLC shovelware. They officially lost me as a customer though thats not saying much as Activision lost me like 15 years ago and EA lost me at BFV.

Its strange. I still spent hundreds of dollars on games this season and I'm by no means a gaming hipster but I think literally all my money went to Kickstarters, indie games and used or massively discounted digital games and even then it was mostly indie stuff.

The days of me giving these douchebags $60 for half-assed trash are over. Not even for political reasons. They just disappointed me over over and over.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I would say Ubisoft is on a cliff. Breakpoint and Far Cry 6 were unmitigated disasters with a huge emphasis on minimizing develop efforts and trying to fill big empty voids with procedurally generated environments while wasting those development cycles on multiplayer DLC shovelware. They officially lost me as a customer though thats not saying much as Activision lost me like 15 years ago and EA lost me at BFV.

Its strange. I still spent hundreds of dollars on games this season and I'm by no means a gaming hipster but I think literally all my money went to Kickstarters, indie games and used or massively discounted digital games and even then it was mostly indie stuff.

The days of me giving these douchebags $60 for half-assed trash are over. Not even for political reasons. They just disappointed me over over and over.
I never have put a single dime into a Kickstarter project. I wait and see if it’s successful for me to buy their product. But I never have faith in a project that could turn south at any moment. Mighty number 9 made sure of that.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I never have put a single dime into a Kickstarter project. I wait and see if it’s successful for me to buy their product. But I never have faith in a project that could turn south at any moment. Mighty number 9 made sure of that.
I've done a couple Kickstarters, but almost all of them ending up taking forever to get completed when they were. It pretty much put me off kickstarters. Or maybe my problem was investing in episodic games that ended up having 70 thousand years between episode releases. Speaking of which, I've more or less stopped supporting episodic games(until they're finished) with the exception of Deltarune, because even 2 chapters of Deltarune has been more memorable then a lot of completed games.