BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To add:

That in and of itself wasn't the problem, the problem really stems from MS taking for granted that 360 owners would all flock to the XB1 but by pushing the angles they did instead of, for a wild example, gaming they basically gave 360 owners no imperative to rush out and grab them. "Hey look, a new Xbox that does all the shit your tv already does" isn't a strong selling point and the CPU architecture swap kicked backward compatibility in the head... They should have been pushing launch titles and xb1 exclusives (those were a thing, right? My memory is getting something something) and all the gaming angles not "hey! Netflix and sport! sport! sport!".

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah but the tech MS was pushing for the XB1 was quickly overtaken by the prevalence of smart tvs and cheap plug-in smart boxes... and it was obvious to anyone with half a brain that it was coming.
But they were also what helped drive the adoption of the DVD and Blu-Ray as dominant media formats, before all the digital marketplace stuff took off, because they were the next logical steps in game storage formats after the CD. Microsoft...basically tried to railroad this as a new standard -

Neither of you are wrong, and I'm definitely not defending Microsoft on this. I'm just pointing out that there was at least something resembling logic by pushing the multimedia angle.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
...MS reaaaaally wanting to be Apple since the iPod took off.
At which they have utterly, utterly failed. Exhibit A: The Zune. Microsoft has long been desperate to push into markets it has neither experience or understanding in, and its few successes have happened almost in spite of the company's efforts rather than because of them.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
At which they have utterly, utterly failed.
Yeah, funny how that happens when you're an imitator and not an innovator.

Let's be honest, when they're not chasing their own Software-ss-s-Service (SaaS) goals they're usually pretty fucking hopeless... and seeing how hamfisted they've been at times with their SaaS bullshit, they can also be hopeless at that, too.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
In Farcry 3 Vaas wasn’t crazy in his attempts to kill Jason. Yes, he tried to kill Jason repeatedly, but each time he tried a different method each time. He didn’t keep doing the exact same thing and expect a different outcome.

The bastard was still batshit crazy, but not in his attempts to kill Jason.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In Farcry 3 Vaas wasn’t crazy in his attempts to kill Jason. Yes, he tried to kill Jason repeatedly, but each time he tried a different method each time. He didn’t keep doing the exact same thing and expect a different outcome.

The bastard was still batshit crazy, but not in his attempts to kill Jason.
I really don't think that's a hot take. I didn't see any major arguments spill all over this type of thing before.

Reactions: Dalisclock

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I really don't think that's a hot take. I didn't see any major arguments spill all over this type of thing before.
I remember some people online thinking his repeated attempts to kill Jason qualified as doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome. I don’t remember how many people thought that but a youtube video I saw showed a bit of Vaas and inspired me to make my post.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I remember some people online thinking his repeated attempts to kill Jason qualified as doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome. I don’t remember how many people thought that but a youtube video I saw showed a bit of Vaas and inspired me to make my post.
I seen a few spotted here and there, but nothing major in most YouTube videos.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I seen a few spotted here and there, but nothing major in most YouTube videos.
The video I saw was one if those It’s Just a Game videos that play a sombre/sad/melancholy song over a montage of emotional moments in video games. The little bit of Vaas doing his thing triggered memories of Farcry 3 and things I read online when it was fresh.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The video I saw was one if those It’s Just a Game videos that play a sombre/sad/melancholy song over a montage of emotional moments in video games. The little bit of Vaas doing his thing triggered memories of Farcry 3 and things I read online when it was fresh.
Okay then.

DLC and season passes aside, Street Fighter 6 is looking to be the next best Street Fighter game since Third Strike. 6 looks like it'll surpass 3rd Strike. Another hot take in favor for this game is that I disagree with someone that people complaining about how the newer characters don't have "cool" nor "exotic" name. For one, the game takes place in an American city, standing in for NY, with different people and cultures mixed together. I know they'll be other stages that take place in different countries, but the majority of the game and the single player will be in Metro City. Second, this is nothing new to the franchise and this has been ongoing since the late Alpha and early Street Fighter 3 days. I'm only saying this is that some people have complaints, and Matt McMuscles was some what vocal about this early on. Just be happy we're getting a six game and they're taking things seriously and putting in a genuine effort here.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Hooray for mini-maps!

Yes this is coming off of my frustration with God of War post-game running around hunting collectibles. Mini-maps tell you where to go, and sometimes that is good.

I know, I know, immersive this and exploration that, and that's all well and good when it makes sense in a game. Ubisoft is worse than Hitler because they give you a map with icons and *gasp* HANDHOLD you with a mini-map and objective markers. But not everything is Elden Breath of the Ring where running around bored, frustrated and lost is a selling point, some games' fun lie in the stuff you do when you get to the place.

If God of War: Ragnarok had a HUD mini-map that would take me to the missing collectibles that would have saved time and frustration. Yes, there is a HUD with compass but it's actually not useful when paired with the weird linear-within-open world level design the game has.

Witcher 3's mini-map has white lines in the mini-map that direct you to an objective and it is indeed extremely hand-holdy. But Novigrad can be confusing and its open world is full of hard-set level assigned enemies you'll want to avoid. Sure, you can argue well then just don't make them open world and I might agree with that in some cases but games like Witcher 3 and yes even the much criticized recent Assassins Creeds do benefit from having that big open world and having minimaps or objective markers are good compromises for both aimless wandering and playing through objectives.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
To add:

That in and of itself wasn't the problem, the problem really stems from MS taking for granted that 360 owners would all flock to the XB1 but by pushing the angles they did instead of, for a wild example, gaming they basically gave 360 owners no imperative to rush out and grab them. "Hey look, a new Xbox that does all the shit your tv already does" isn't a strong selling point and the CPU architecture swap kicked backward compatibility in the head... They should have been pushing launch titles and xb1 exclusives (those were a thing, right? My memory is getting something something) and all the gaming angles not "hey! Netflix and sport! sport! sport!".
And to add insult to injury, perhaps 30% of those features worked outside of the United States.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Ouch.

Which ones didn't work outside the US? I'm curious now.
Most of the ESPN sport stuff as far as I’m aware would be non-functional in Australia because, at the time at least, ESPN was heavily intertwined with Foxtel (basically our only cable TV provider) owned by Rupert Murdoch. And of course the NFL stuff was never coming our way.

The voice activation system was also disabled for some reason and something I forgot was the Xbox One launched about 12 months or so before Netflix became available in Australia.

Oh and the whole Live TV shit with cable boxes. The US and UK get seamless integration with One Guide, we got HDMI pass through.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
The voice activation system was also disabled for some reason
Accents, probably. American VA systems are notoriously shit the further your accent is from a mid-west US accent. Do you think an XB1 straight out of the box would understand "Eeks bawks, farkin ORN, ya carnt theeng."?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Accents, probably. American VA systems are notoriously shit the further your accent is from a mid-west US accent. Do you think an XB1 straight out of the box would understand "Eeks bawks, farkin ORN, ya carnt theeng."?
That reminds me that I sadly realized I suck at picking up on what accents are. I just realized recently Claudia Black is Australian and I somehow didn't realize that before. I'm not even sure what I thought her accent was.

It's worse because I listen to a couple youtubers from Australia(VaatiVidya, Perun) so you'd think I'd be better at picking up on it by now.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
That reminds me that I sadly realized I suck at picking up on what accents are. I just realized recently Claudia Black is Australian and I somehow didn't realize that before. I'm not even sure what I thought her accent was.

It's worse because I listen to a couple youtubers from Australia(VaatiVidya, Perun) so you'd think I'd be better at picking up on it by now.
There's more than one Aussie accent... not that anyone but another Australian can really tell (and thusly hang shit on it). The basic differences are based on how nasal speech is ('broadness'), the rounding of vowels (particularly 'A's) and if you can be arsed dealing with hard consonents or not (and HOOOOBOY a lot of that has its origins in social class)... and that's without getting into regional variations.