Your video game hot take(s) thread

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
TLoU2; I would have handed Abby that 9-iron. Joel absolutely got what was coming to him, he doomed humanity to a mushroom monster apocalypse, all because of his (I failed as a) Daddy Issues.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Gamecube was a cracking console, the console that I discovered my love of JRPG's on and it had a great library of other games. I still say WWE: Day of Reckoning 2 was the best wrestling game ever made (No Mercy was good but the glitch that regularly wiped your progress ruined it for me). It hurts my heart to this day that my launch day Gamecube died and could not be saved.
I take it you don't have a Wii. My GameCube still works fine. It's not plugged in currently but I always clean it out and I keep it wrapped in plastic and bubble wrap and put it in its own box.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Cyberpunk 2077 isn't a very interesting-looking game and I'm perfectly okay with waiting for a $15 sale.
Considering how people are bitching, a hot take would be the opposite.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
-Fire Emblem: Awakening saved the franchise, but changed it forever, and in some ways, for the worse

-Heroes of the Storm is the best MOBA

-Metroid: Other M isn't a bad game, nor is it the worst Metroid game. It gets far too much flak.

-StarCraft II is better than StarCraft I in every single way
Hard agree on first two, can't play other moba cause of how slow they are and how much I hate having to memorize a bajillions items, FE after awakening just do nothing for me and awakening progression is complete crap since the second you start doing children quest you overlevel the crap out of the main quest (and if you ignore children quest then the game has nothing interesting).

Other M had okay gameplay (nothing really new but I guess its in 3D so I'll give them a pass for it) but boy that story was awful, makes you wished they'd just go back to no story instead.

I don't play RTS in MP but I feaking love SC2 Single player and I think its a shame that there probably won't ever be a SC3 and Warcraft 4 because the genere isn't popular anymore, that being said storywise SC 1 >>>>>> SC2, can't believe they ruined Kerrigan.

My hot take is that the indie scene is less creative than major studio are, but most people only hear about the big breakout hit so it seems to them that it's a really creative scene.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
COD MW did Tom Clancy's works better than the IP holders, see Patriot vs Siege.

Steam allowing Japanese games is what makes EGS look good.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
-Bioshock Infinite isn't terrible, but it had a long and troubled dev cycle and it shows in the final product in how it can't really commit to any one theme or idea for very long. It still has some cool ideas and premises, none of which are really explored to the full manner they should have been.

-Zelda Ocarnia of Time isn't groundbreaking. It's a 3D evolution of A Link to the Past and while a good game, isn't the amazing masterpiece it's often lauded as.Also, the Water Temple is not the 7th level of hell it's often made out to be, just annoying.

-CoD is a really good shooter but it doesn't evolve, most of the plots are stupid as fuck, and just changes setting and tweaks mechanics every year. It also convinced everyone they needed to make Modern Warfare FPSs for an absurdly long period of time and, of course, has a shitty fanbase.

-Dark Souls 2 is a bunch of really interesting ideas done poorly. I love the dev team tried to go in a different direction then Dark Souls but it feels like it lead to a lot of belly flopping along the way.

-The Souls games in general both benefit and suffer from how the lore and game mechanics tie together. The fog gates made perfect sense in Demons Souls and then they just kept on using them because for every game after that regardless of not having any real justification. The poison swamps were justified in Blighttown and Valley of defilement because that's where all the literal shit was ending up but somewhere along the way FROM decided any standing water of notable amount had to be POISON for reasons. Also, why some die for reals and some go hollow and some go hollow and then disappear when killed is never explained anywhere, it's just kinda there for gameplay reasons.

And while having the lore be mostly told through environmental details and item descriptions is kinda cool, it also suffers from the problem that the translation changes the context of certain details notably and the fact the the games don't stay the same during the entire dev cycle somewhat undermines the lore digging. That and it feels like some of it is just a handwave for whatever the devs want to put in the given game(like a way to keep shoehorning Orestein into all the Dark Souls games).

-Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is a much better bridge to the MSX games then MGSV is. MGSV is basically a HD remake of Peace Walker with far better gameplay but a far worse and dumber plot.

That being said, MGSV has a really good story, but it's buried and poorly presented, leaving this uninteresting and completely pointless mess about magical parasites and skull face something something retcon something something don't fucking care.

Last edited:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Rockstar's level of staleness and lack of innovation makes Ubisofts open world games seem like pioneering masterpeices in comparison.

Breath of the Wild is a beatiful hiking simulator, but a terrible Zelda game. Even more detached from the core series components then Zelda 2 was.

Maybe not the hottest of takes, its literally already in this thread. But The Last of Us was a compelling character performance by actors with a chemistry, separated out by large chunks of dull unintesting and unsinpired gameplay. LAst of Us 2 is the some thing without the chemistry or the acting quality.

Biowares always been kind of hokey, often seeming like they're writing the fan-fiction version of stuff (even their own IPs), and the terrible ending writing and stock choice framework has been there trademark since Baldurs Gate (which wasn't technically Bioware, but same people)

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Graphics hit their plateau in the ps3 era and now it is more important to have art styles and lore-related-visuals than just raw power in your systems/games/so on and so forth. You can still work for frame rate-stuff and improve lighting and how many chars you can depict simultaneously on screen but just on a pure aesthetic approach it is more important to implement unique artwork and creativity than to seek photorealism or any kind of realistic graphics.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Mortal Kombat would be better off being just about an actual tournament on Shang Tsung's island. All of the dimension/realm hopping stuff feels needlessly melodramatic and grandiose.
The roster also needs to be severely condensed. There are too many characters that have only slight differences, they need to trim the roster down to no more than twelve fully fleshed out characters with distinct styles. Furthermore, most of the 'guest' fighters in the series are poor choices that make absolutely no sense and are incredibly repetitive in fighting styles.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
- Persona 5 is a pretty shoddy JRPG, with only the Kamoshida chapter being actually good. Final Fantasy 10 is a better JRPG.

- Kojima hasn't made a good Metal Gear game since Metal Gear Solid 1, and the main reason why it's good is because Kojima was technically limited and because the translator changed a bunch of the writing without Kojima's consent.

- Hollow Knight is a better Souls game than anything Fromsoftware has made.

(This is fun!)

- The voice acting for James Sunderland in Silent Hill 2 isn't good, it just conveniently fits most times.

- Ashley in Resident Evil 4 is the best A.I. companion in games, and if you're bad at keeping her safe you just aren't very good at the game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
TLoU2; I would have handed Abby that 9-iron. Joel absolutely got what was coming to him, he doomed humanity to a mushroom monster apocalypse, all because of his (I failed as a) Daddy Issues.
Yes, but also he got off easy. I wanted him to live so he could see Ellie realize what a manipulative, gaslighting bastard he was and just leave him to live in his own misery. And I actually like Joel.

To continue the hot takes...

- None of the Souls games have good action (this includes Sekiro), because of the abysmal camera and lock-on. Bloodborne has probably the worst non-committal action-RPG mechanics I've ever experienced.

- The Wonderful 101 is just... really bad.

- Both Yakuza and Control are better "Kojima games" then Kojima games.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler