Your Voice and You

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
I have a stupidly deep voice (people have asked me to do chocolate rain, and I have been compared to James Earl Jones more than once), but my face is still shamefully boyish and I'm only of average height.
The nice thing about my voice is that it doubles my estimated age. Don't get me wrong, I am over legal age for buying booze in my country, but I don't look it. So I get one or two words in before getting served, and I don't have to take my ID out.

Once, I was waiting outside of a boardgame cafe for a meetup, and just as I was hanging up a call, some guy comes up to me and asks for a light. I said no and politely tell him I don't smoke, and he responds "Really? Your voice fooled me."

Bigbomb94

Sep 3, 2011
Words that have been used to describe my voice: Deep, monotone, sexy, mentally challenged. I'm like everyone else; I think my voice sounds good in my head but it comes out different when I actually talk.

For example:

Spineyguy

Apr 14, 2009
I've always thought my voice was rather odd. I'm not from a particularly well-to-do family, but my mother is, and with my father's accent being quite neutral, I've taken on her Kentish mannerisms. That said, virtually every male role-model I've ever had has been from either Birmingham or Warwick, so when it comes to things like 'bath' and 'grass' and 'class' I speak with the Midlands short 'A' sound. I have it on good authority, though, that I sound horribly posh to most people, especially on the phone.

With regards to tone, I seem to have astonishing range. I'm capable of an awful, squeaky, nasal, mute-trumpet noise which I absolutely loath, but I can also slip into quite booming, resonant tones, which sounds a lot more manly and cool, but does tend to carry, and makes me feel like I'm shouting at people without meaning to.

I spent most of last year teaching a Chinese friend to speak better conversational English, she said I sounded like Prince William, which I suppose was a compliment.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
My voice sounds so much louder in my head than in real life that when I try to speak at a normal volume it sounds to me like I'm yelling. Yelling stresses me out, so I never raise my voice even slightly when talking with someone. It also hurts my throat. It definitely shapes the way people view me.
Edit: I also start and stop a lot in my speech. I guess it's a mix of stress and underused vocal chords.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I think I have a really annoying, nasal, kind of grating voice, but Americans seem to really like Australian accents so there you have it. Friends over the internet keep encouraging me to read things for them. Apparently they think I sound really sexy?

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
Oh hey, a thread about voices. I used to have a dull monotonous droning in place of a voice throughout high school, and now I have a dull droning with a few different tones in place of a voice. I despise it.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I got resonating deep voice, loud - I mean like you can hear me from far away when I just talk normally. Mainly because I am low baritone (I am between bass and baritone - making singing normal songs hard due to the range)

My voice is loud and powerful in short.

But the base note changes on the situation, when I want to be understood easily by anyone I speak from about half octave higher when I speak English.
When I am acting, I usually always get typecast-ed as evil, devil or something like that. Rather boring since when I go join a play or event as actor I know the role I am in already.

But that is also the reason why I got nicknamed as Sinister and because of the way, I got later on nicknamed as Sinister Minister. (I adopted it as a gaming handle because I kept getting called as it so... Me'h)

But usually when people hear me they imagine me to look WAY older (I am 20).

PleaseDele

Oct 30, 2010
My voice is pretty accent prone. I've hung around with british peopleand they thought I was posh after a couple of days. Americans wouldn't believe I was Dutch haha.

As for the actual voice... I'm a baritone. Nice and low. Used to be a bit gruffer because I smoked a pack a day. Used to talk monotonous aswell, which was a little sucky. But then I took singing lessons and my voice is quite pleasant now. Even starting to like how I sound on recordings.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I'll leave you with a vocaroo link that explains how I feel about my voice.
Spoiler warning: I don't mind it.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1daIgXUG1Bg

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
ultrachicken said:
I'm also told I sound perpetually monotone/sarcastic. Which can be problematic when I'm trying to give a genuine compliment or convey enthusiasm.
Oh my God, this. My friends often tell me that I never ever sound sincere in anything I say, which makes them taking me seriously really quite difficult.

OT: I come from Yorkshire, but it's not strongly reflected in my accent. I think it's an alright voice, but can turn into a continuous drone if I talk too fast.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Solaire of Astora said:
What last part? I didn't notice any impure or evil intentions at all!

...I think I might be a little scared now. ;_;
Oh, erm...Forget I said anything. Now read this line verbatim!

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
From what I understand in my region, that's Arizona, we share the same speech patterns and such with California, so we just speak slowly and we have a lot of pauses. The words 'man' and 'dude' get thrown around a lot, and I'm guilty of that as well.

I have a slight stammer so it's hard to tell if I have an accent or not. :/
So Arizona is California's Canada?

...Wow...So many groups are gonna kill me now. RUN! ANYONE BEHIND ME IS IN DANGER!

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
For a hispanic my voice is almost accent-less, and people say that my tone always changes depending on the situation. And apparently the changes in my tone are drastic.
I never noticed until a friend of mine brought it up when I had a nerdgasm over a movie and she noticed my voice shift from cool, smooth, monotone to high-pitched and wacky.

Cartoonish is what my voice is basically.
Not a bad way to describe my voice/personality that comes with it, just as long as I don't get too happy and someone confuses me for a girl... >_>

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I'm constantly thought of as older than I am because of it.
People tell me my voice is awesome, and I believe them. They tell me that if my acting dream doesn't pan out, I should go into radio. More recently, I've been told I'm an internet sensation waiting to happen, which is an idea that excites me. Here's a podcast I'm on that my friends and I are trying to get off the ground, I'm the one that starts with the words
"all of the above" then says "He's gonna be our sound guy."
What do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/sandwichclubproduction/the-lunchroom-podcast-ep-1

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
I don't talk very much because of the problems with my voice. I am quiet most of the time. I'm waiting to meet a speech therapist because it is affecting my function in everyday life.

I want to become a voice actor.

I wish I could sing and laugh again like when I was little.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I heard my voice recorded once. It was horrible. Flat, Australian, young male. The exact words I used to describe it at the time were, "I sound like the dopiest **** in existence."

I've since had people say my voice is sexy, which is nice.

Sadly, all those people were guys, but hey, I'll take my compliments wherever I can get 'em.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Apparently I sound quite a bit like a cool Bond villain, so there's that...

TBH: I quite like my voice, even if I do sound suave-crazy from time to time.