You're 16. How high/ low will you go?

smurf_you

Jun 1, 2010
At 20 (my age now) I can't date men (or women for that matter) younger than myself.... Even my limit for youngest is older than me, it always has been, I can't do younger... I always feel like they're emotionally... odd.... me dating a 21 year old at 16 wouldn't have been weird for me at all... I just hated people my own age, they were all too immature. Hell at 12, I had (and still do have) a thing for Alan Rickman (I don't care what you say he's DAMN sexy :3) and he's 65.... >.>

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Arontala said:
orangeapples said:
The younger person's number in the ten's place multiplied by 2.5 years. If the older person's age is within the number of years of the calculated person then it is okay.

If:
person 1 is aged 31
person 2 is aged 23
we have (2) x 2.5 years = 5 years
The oldest person I'd say is acceptable for a 23 years old to date would be 28, so not acceptable.
You think that two fully grown, consenting adults of differing age being in a relationship is unacceptable? Really? Trying to put a limit on who adults can date based on years is idiotic at best.
This confuses me as well.

I'm pretty sure the law has all the rules about this covered.. minimum ages, rules about people in positions of power, etc.

If two people are adults, what is the problem?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
At 16 I thought kids of my age to be pretty immature, and was routinely mistaken for 18-20. I sort of dated accordingly.

First asking for one's age is a bit backwards. Just go with whomever fits - chances are he/she is within about a year or two of your age.

Mr.Numbers

Jan 15, 2011
orangeapples said:
The younger person's number in the ten's place multiplied by 2.5 years. If the older person's age is within the number of years of the calculated person then it is okay.

If:
person 1 is aged 31
person 2 is aged 23
we have (2) x 2.5 years = 5 years
The oldest person I'd say is acceptable for a 23 years old to date would be 28, so not acceptable.

Here's my breakdown, If the younger person is in the age range of... then they are allowed to date ... years older:
0-9/0 (no dating)
10-19/2.5
20-29/5
30-39/7.5
40-49/10
50-59/12.5
60-69/15 (at around this age, I think they're out of the dating game)
70-79/17.5
80-89/20 (by this range, They should be out of the dating game)
90-99/22.5 (I'm not sure there are any 121.5 year old that are thinking of dating >.<)

at age 16, up to 19 (16.5+2.5=19)
at age 24, up to 29 (24+5=29)
The youngest I could go is 20.

This really doesn't have much to do with the maturity of the people, but the age range of the people around them. When I hear a 23 year old is dating a 15 year old I don't think, 'that music be one mature 15 year old', I think 'that must be one immature 23 year old.' in your friends case of 16 to 21: unacceptable, but I'd be okay with both dating 19 year olds; That's reasonable.
I just stick to /2 + 7.

It's a lot better and more accuarate.

16/2 + 7 = 15, which we've agreed on.

18/2 + 7 = 16, again what I would accept.

40/2 + 7 = 27 Which is the cutoff for where the rule can safely be applied, because otherwise you get 90 year olds with 52 year olds etc.

wilson_ty

Mar 29, 2011
I'd say it's more subjective, depending on the people. But off the top of my head, if I was 16, I'd most likely date people that were ages 15-17. Then again, I'm pretty introverted, and think everyone has a secondary goal for talking to me. If you're not a freshman or sophomore dating a senior, it would get a bit weird, because they'd be living their own life while you're in school and living with your parents (and maybe they are too).

Jovip

Aug 12, 2010
Yeaa, 16 year old dating 21 year old is pedophilia. i mean there is no justified reason for that to be happening on the older ones part. seeing as the 21 year old should be mature enough and know the emotional and physical insecurity of a bloody 16 year old. i mean really? how desperate do you need to be? the 16 year old is obviously going to date the 21 year old but that's because the 16 year old (have to refer to ages, you didn't provide genders)is younger, wants to be seen as more mature and dating some drastically older and more progressed them themselves despite the obviously misjudged action wants that feeling.

Now, onto me. I'm actually 16 now. seeing this. i wouldn't date anyone older then 18 nor would i date anyone below 16 simply due to relate ability. i have many friends in college who are 20-25 but i wouldn't date them. it's hard to "date" someone who's life is so different to yours seeing as dating imply s you become a large aspect of someone else s life. however a sexual relationship can me maintained between anyone who wants it to, or not in some disturbing cases. therefore, i believe people should date reasonably within their life choices not age. age is such a silly way to determine maturity.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
At 16, no thanks. Once I hit 21 in afew months people within 3 years is fine.

Capatcha: Knock on wood ] Really I'll never find love..... well least I'll save some money there but I'll never give up!!!!!!

FateOrFatality

Mar 27, 2010
I actually turn sixteen in a couple of days, and to be honest I would get with a twenty something. I definitely wouldn't date one, though.

As for below? Probably a 15 year old only. Any lower is getting pretty weird.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
I only date half level plus intelligence modifier.

No seriously though, at 16 I'd go for 1 or 2 years younger or older.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
The way you work it out is by halving your age and adding 7, that will give you your lowest that you can acceptably date. It stops working if you're too young, though.

ethan22122

Dec 18, 2009
I'm 16, and my age range goes from about 1-2 years either above, or below, but mostly just 1 year.

ghostrider409895

Mar 7, 2010
If I were sixteen, I would not go below fifteen. As for higher, I would not go higher than eighteen.

I say that I will not go lower than a year less only because it gets creepy to date people that are young when you are already in high school. It might not matter as much later in life, but at sixteen, you are a young adult - able to drive and looking foward to only two more years of high school - and dating someone more than a year younger at this time involves you with someone who still has years left, and is in a different world, a different mindset, with problems that you cannot relate to. While you worry about prom and passing finals, they are worried about acne flares.

I say that one should not go over eighteen for a similar reason, only in this case you are the younger one. You are still worried about grades and tests. You are probably living with your parents, and maybe starting up a job. Older than eighteen, you are dealing with someone that could be in colledge. They might be living alone, already with a steady job. They are done with school if they choose to, and there is even legal matters due to the difference in age.

Anyway, that is my thoughts on the subject. Like I said, the range of dating grows as you get older - as the differences in daily life is not as dependent on age - and at that point you can focus a bit more on finding someone, rather than multi-tasking with school and such. In short, at 16 I would date 15 to 18.

TheCommie12

Feb 25, 2011
my friend is 16, and she thinks that a true relationship is dating a 24yr old over msn, and he's in a different country to me and her