You're going to jail - one item with you

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
fenrizz said:
That really depends on which country's prison I'd be stuck in.

If I was to be sent to an American maximum security prison,, I'd bring a cyanide pill.

If I was to be sent to an Norwegian prison, I'd bring a laptop.

And yes, you can do that here in Norway.
Rehabilitation of criminals is a far better option than pure and hellish punishment.
Well most americans don't understand our correction system so i can't expect people who don't live here to.
We do allow rehabilition, work release, day reporting, they can take college courses, or learn work skills. Plus they get free limited cable. And some prison libraries are huge. They can even work and earn a (small) payment. Most americans don't even know how the corrections system works. We also have a population about 72Xs higher than yours so things that might be practical for Norway might not be for the US.

Sansha said:
I maintain that this is different from the desert island question.

So you're going to jail for the rest of your life without parole, bail, or opportunity to get out on good behavior. You're in there until you die. Under no circumstances whatsoever are you ever, ever leaving. The crime is up to you.
Case in point. You can't go to jail for life. Jail is where you go while you await trial or are sentanced to less than 2 years of time. Prison is where you go only after you've been sentanced and your remaining sentance is longer than 2 years.
Just saying.

Anyway OT: From working in a jail for years my decision is... a fuckton of ketchup because mot prisons don't allow it and I LOVE ketchup. (It can be used to make pepper spray and ya know... fake blood)

SeksEin

Jul 16, 2009
pantallica95 said:
My iPod. 5000+ songs, stand up videos, and some movies==no boredom.
I was going to say this too... but what if it died? Would a means of charging it count as a second item?

Snowpact

He is the Walrus
Oct 15, 2008
Feriluce said:
My PC obviously? What else can provide endless hours of entertainment?
A PC with internet can.

Back on track: I'd probably bring the Batmobile. No explanation needed.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
ace_of_something said:
fenrizz said:
That really depends on which country's prison I'd be stuck in.

If I was to be sent to an American maximum security prison,, I'd bring a cyanide pill.

If I was to be sent to an Norwegian prison, I'd bring a laptop.

And yes, you can do that here in Norway.
Rehabilitation of criminals is a far better option than pure and hellish punishment.
Well most americans don't understand our correction system so i can't expect people who don't live here to.
We do allow rehabilition, work release, day reporting, they can take college courses, or learn work skills. Plus they get free limited cable. And some prison libraries are huge. They can even work and earn a (small) payment. Most americans don't even know how the corrections system works. We also have a population about 72Xs higher than yours so things that might be practical for Norway might not be for the US.

In my defense, the only knowledge I have of the American correctional system is from movies and television.
And from that I have the impression that your system is quite barbaric, though I get an impression from you that it is not so.

What is the most confusing is that you have very (or so I understand) varied "methods" from one state to another.
But, as I understand it (or, try to understand it anyway) is that the series OZ [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118421/] gives a pretty realistic impression of a typical American maximum security prison.
And I hope that you might be able to give some insight into this?

Also, is it so that after you have served your sentence it is extremely hard to find a decent job?
Since criminal records can be (at least this is my impression) aquired by an employer?

I might have the wrong impression, but at least I am more than willing to learn.