YouTube Gaming Star PewDiePie Turns Off Comments For Good

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Good for him. I still don't watch him, because every time I've tried to see what the draw is all I get is him screaming like Spongebob for 7 minutes straight.

I have to assume that at least 8% of his view are from people desperately trying to make sense of his popularity, and I simply cannot believe that the remaining % consist entirely of rabid fans. Imagine around another 10% were subbed purely so they could mock him via comments, so I assume his viewership will take some kind of hit.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Omnicrom said:
Queen Michael said:
[insert a ****load of jokes about how the comments at least are more intelligen than his videos]
Came in here to say that. PDP is free to make his own choices about his own channel, and he is very correct that youtube comments are a toxic waste dump, but it's not exactly as though he himself is a shining example of quality, non-toxic commentary.
Sure, his gaming humour might be low-brow, but I honestly can't remember PDP's personal commentary be anything but respectful and reasonable. What kind of commentary are you referring to?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
GZGoten said:
he makes 4 million a year? 0__0

I don't care if you hate or love him, that amount of dough is not easy to make in a lifetime let alone a year. If all the other posts are anything to go by is that Pewd's is a GENIUS because despite how horribly god awful he is (according to the posters above.below me) he can still accumulate enough views to make 4 MILLION a year! I will go subscribe right now and learn what I must do to make that amount of money, but unlike him I won't do it for love of video games, screw that, it's all for that sweet, sweet MONEY!
He's not terrible, he's just... a harmless fool. A millionaire harmless fool.

Also this video (though shown a million times around these parts) shows partly how he succeded.

And that video is exactly why I don't have anywhere near as much a problem with PewDiePie as others seem to. I know why he is popular and can even understand why some people like his videos. I saw an episode of Elders React to him and I didn't think he was that bad. Not something I would watch personally, but who am I to judge what others like?

I'd much rather watch Continue play a game or the Completionist review it. So I do. Let others have their own entertainment and I'll have mine.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
FogHornG36 said:
Game Grumps don't have to turn off comments, and the most annoying thing they get is people talking about jontron.
To be fair, even if they did turn the comments off people would just post them at the end of Super Mario 3D World levels. =P

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Wait a minute, I could be earning $4,000,000 a year just for pandering to little kids on Youtube?! That seriously makes me consider selling my personality.

BadNewDingus

Sep 3, 2014
I don't care for him, but that video there made a lot of great points. Maybe if he didn't act like some Sunday morning cartoon character, I would actually have the patience to listen to his videos.

GalanDun

Jun 27, 2013
Me55enger said:
$4 million a year.

Four million dollars a year.

A. Year.

Driver, let me off at the next stop please.
I'm a fan of his and I don't even know why I like his stuff. Not sure. It's funny to watch I suppose.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I don't watch his vids but I've stumbled across a couple of his imitators over the past few days. All I can say is holy shit dudes chill I'm wearing headphones.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
4 mil a year... for screaming and saying stupid shit while playing a game.

I... I don't even...

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
4 million a year screaming into a camera and making rape jokes. Well time to spend sometime rethinking my life choices because obviously I've failed somewhere along the way.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Nieroshai said:
All I know is that Markiplier is for sure not next because every month he records a love letter for his viewers. I don't see him not wanting to hear from even the trolls. Especially Pewds. In the form of Falcon Lover. Weirdest ARG to be a part of a gaming channel...
I sure hope not, I like Markiplier and he seems like a genuinely nice person. I fully expect a kind Escapist poster to reveal he's a child rapist or something shortly, because fuck the ignorant cretins who like this kind of thing, amirite?

OT

Don't watch his stuff but can't say I blame him: I can't even begin to imagine the stupidity and vitriol an internet "celebrity" attracts in the comments.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I can think of few things more useless that YouTube comments (and that's an extremely short list), so if Pewdie wants to turn them off, since they're his videos, he has every right to. It's not like he's closing off the public entirely if his social media channels are still open to the public, so who cares if that's what he chooses to do? I'm actually surprised he didn't do it sooner.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Racecarlock said:
-Ezio- said:
Racecarlock said:
-Ezio- said:
the fact that he has fans is baffling to me.
Hey, uh, internet? Please stop acting shocked when it turns out people have different tastes. You've grown up with humanity, you've seen it in action, please stop acting like this is some kind of insane new discovery.
oh shit sorry. i thought forums like this were for expressing your opinion. my mistake.
Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean it can't be challenged. That's how freedom of speech works. I can use my freedom of speech to challenge your speech which you had the freedom to make.
Actually, freedom of speech is all about being able to criticize the government free of repercussion. It has little to do with opinions in general. But yes. Opinions can be missinformed and challenged. That said, I've heard of PDP, but I've maybe only seen his videos of Trauma Center: Second Opinion. Not a fan. Found him somewhat boring. Some of his video thumbnails creep me out, too.

As far as him being a toxic dick goes, as I've heard, the way I see it, there's always going to be something you hate about LetsPlayers, so really, it's just a matter of "mileage may vary," but for me, he's not that worth seeing. Besides, while it may be his channel to do with as he pleases, he is somewhat responsible for his fans in some aspect (though not completely; you can't stop your fans from doing everything) and feel turning off the comments entirely may be something of a cop out.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I have a Youtube... and I read and respond to every comment.
I have 15 subscribers.....................

15. If I had 2 million TIMES more subscribers than that It wouldn't be physically possible to read and respond to all of those or really any of those

That being said, when ever I see a video with comments turned off I go... what the fuck?
Even one of my favorite Youtubers Errant Signal had a video with comments disabled, and it was a great video but I was still like "What the fuck?"

I mean the comment I was going to leave was tantamount to liking the video with the little thumbs up button, but still.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Can you blame him?
Youtube comments are basically the internet's equivalent to graffiti on a bathroom stall, most people who value their sanity have long since stopped reading them so I don't really see a problem here.

Also, I don't particularly like Pewdiepie's videos, but hell, I can't blame him for making them if he's raking in 4 mil a year. Don't you dare tell me that you wouldn't do the same exact thing in his shoes, I know I would.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Lightknight said:
This just in, kid takes ball, leaves playground.

I understand why he's doing it, I'm just far more in favor of allowing discussion rather than stamping it out. Still his ball, technically speaking.
I think the difference is that Pewdiepie's videos don't really promote discussion of anything.

His videos aren't really about anything except that people like watching his reactions

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
They're his videos and his channel so he can do what he wants. I don't watch him because I think he's annoying as fuck, but I also don't feel the need to sling shit and vitriol in all of his comment sections. I don't know why it's so hard for people to be okay with something they don't enjoy existing. No one is forcing anyone to sit and watch this guy's videos.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Mikeyfell said:
Lightknight said:
This just in, kid takes ball, leaves playground.

I understand why he's doing it, I'm just far more in favor of allowing discussion rather than stamping it out. Still his ball, technically speaking.
I think the difference is that Pewdiepie's videos don't really promote discussion of anything.

His videos aren't really about anything except that people like watching his reactions

Yeah, it's not like he's reviewing a game or voicing his opinion on recent issues.

I really like PDP for the latter, while every gaming youtuber debates and feels they have to have an opinion on the latest gaming controversy, he just keeps on making his vids anda raking in those Subscribers.