YouTube Issued Copyright Claims Against Miracle of Sound

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dr.Awkward said:
So technology and automation is supposed to solve problems and reduce costs, huh?
For Google, it does, I'm sure. It's everyone else who gets the shaft. As I'm sure they intended. They offloaded the work to everyone else--including the artists--and then they rolled around their money bins until they were all tuckered out.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
*face palm* OK, there's a word for what YouTube is doing right now. HHHMMM... If only there was a video to express my thoughts.

OH, WAIT!

YouTube/Google, you douche-bags better learn to play nice with the rest of the Internet or start circling the wagons. Cause, sooner or later, the majority of the planet is going to fuck your shit up beyond repair.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Pitchforks! Torches and pitchforks! Get 'em here! Get 'em while they're hot!

(Come on, you know this is coming.)
You do know that bats, pipes and boston bashers would be WAY more effective? I mean granted torches will help to see and set them on fire....actually we can keep the torches lol

Gezzer

Jul 7, 2012
Neronium said:
Snipped for length

It's not so much the existence of copyright that's the problem (though personally, and speaking as someone who doesn't actually own any copyrights, I think we should go back to the original form which only lasted until 25 years after first publication and could not be renewed). The problem is that fair use is hyper restrictive and the default assumption when the question arises is that something has violated copyright. We need to revise the laws to expand the application if not the letter of fair use to include more and broader categories, and the law should really shift the burden of proof onto the copyright holders.
You've got a point. While the definition of fair use could be better defined I also think some of the problem comes from how very valuable those copyrights are. We have a section of the economy where the buying and selling of both copyrights and patents are a big business, which really no longer benefits the originators. I think one of the reasons that fair use is so restricted and IP holders are so ruthless in their defense of their IPs is because of the high worth of those IPs in the marketplace. I think any reduction in the worth of those IPs for corporations without removing the ability of the originators to see good return for their efforts would go a long way to reduce this feeding frenzy like behavior where IP rights are concerned.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Your Fearless Captain said:
And that's why I buy my music from bandcamp.
Do you realising that bandcamp has also been abusing Youtube's automated takedown system?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Gezzer said:
Think you might have accidentally misquoted me right there. Unless that's one of my older posts. I can't remember that well because I've made so many posts similar to that one that they sort of just meld together in my mind now. XD

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
This has gotten to the point of pure insanity. When people are getting strikes for their OWN work, there is something very wrong.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Hmmm? Interesting. So it seems that a massive amount of these Youtube Copyright notices, and the principle party in the revenue disruption and redirection is a single entity known as "Indmusic". They are the same outfit that issued notices against several Indie Developers who posted clips of their own games.

I'm thinking it's time to get out the pitchforks. This smells suspiciously like an opportunistic legal firm attempting to copyright squat.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I dunno, they may have a point. Take a closer look at the picture they use in the article.

On Dunne's sleeve is a patch that says 'HS 29'. Clearly, the 'HS' stands for High School, and from that we can deduce that '29' stands for his year of graduation, 1929, MEANING, that Dunne is either some sort of immortal that steals the bodies of younger men in order to be ever alive and youthful, OR he stole that shirt from an actual High School graduate of the class of '29.

Either way, Dunne is a FRAUD, and that's how he stole his own music.

Clearly that's how it is.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
He needs to sue google and the publisher for lost revenue, if they didn't have his permission then their liable for this huge fuck up

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Didn't Gav tweet that he was waiting for something like this to happen? Man, he's predicting the future!

Gezzer

Jul 7, 2012
Neronium said:
Gezzer said:
Think you might have accidentally misquoted me right there. Unless that's one of my older posts. I can't remember that well because I've made so many posts similar to that one that they sort of just meld together in my mind now. XD
Actually it was my bad. Was trying to respond to Agayek's response to my response to another post and some how got you involved. I think my error came because I'm used to quote buttons being on the bottom of a post not the top. It actually makes more sense when you think about it. You read a post then want to reply to it, not reply and then read, but it's very minor in the long run. I might of quoted you by mistake, then him, and then failed to notice it was your user name when I did my snip. That's what using a WYSIWYG web engine instead of learning to recognize proper syntax will get me. :O)....

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
When a guy can get strikes against him for his own content, you know you screwed up BAD.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Well damn. Sorry to hear about this wankery happening to Gavin, but sadly I can't say I'm surprised. For awhile now Google has mutated into just another evil empire hell bent on domination and it's of little surprise to see their tentacles of evil twisting their way through YouTube as well. Sadly I see only one solution, abandon ship and let the looming iceberg have it's wicked way with both Google and YouTube. Now days there are plenty of workable alternatives so there's no reason to keep supporting the idiots that only want to shit on your head while picking your pocket.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Youtube... Why? Why do you continue to do this?

Oh by the way guys, since there seems to be a lot of Youtubers here... if someone does a claim on one of your videos and you get it revoked, do they still get to keep the cash in between that period where it was being disputed? I'm just wondering if it's a legitimate strategy for some arsewipe company to just lay claims on as many things as they can and get paid for what little time they have the claim on.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Gezzer said:
You've got a point. While the definition of fair use could be better defined I also think some of the problem comes from how very valuable those copyrights are. We have a section of the economy where the buying and selling of both copyrights and patents are a big business, which really no longer benefits the originators. I think one of the reasons that fair use is so restricted and IP holders are so ruthless in their defense of their IPs is because of the high worth of those IPs in the marketplace. I think any reduction in the worth of those IPs for corporations without removing the ability of the originators to see good return for their efforts would go a long way to reduce this feeding frenzy like behavior where IP rights are concerned.
This much I don't disagree with. My point was more that someone owning a copyright wasn't really so much of a problem as how that copyright is applied. I may have misinterpreted your original post.

That said, there's a really easy fix to all the points you bring up: Make copyrights unsaleable. The copyright holder can still grant permission to other entities to use their copyright should they desire (and presumably for money) but the core license can not ever leave the ownership of the original creator. Thus, when the creator dies or the copyright expires, the copyright ceases to exist and the work in question enters the public domain.

This would immediately remove the constant fighting over IP ownership and, quite literally, make it impossible for companies to keep hoarding the stuff.

holyshaman

May 19, 2013
omega 616 said:
Ok ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages ... Who has had the biggest fuck up? Microsoft with it's xbox 180 or Youtube with all your vids are belong to us? Vote now!

Seriously though, this shit is getting silly. You know that they will stick to there guns though 'cos nobody is competition, so they can implement what they like we have to swallow it. Just how many variations of youtube have there been and nobody has liked any of them ... at first and then we all get used to it, till they change it again.
yep i can say f*** to xbox but not youtube. it is all most the kid that are never getting punished while being an ahole

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
FalloutJack said:
Pitchforks! Torches and pitchforks! Get 'em here! Get 'em while they're hot!

(Come on, you know this is coming.)
Gimme two each!

No but seriously, what the fuck? This is getting a bit too far. Copyright against the own creator just proves that the system is broken to hell. Better get sorted soon, this is going to get a lot of people pissed.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
otakon17 said:
What fucking insanity is this? Okay this is PROOF that this automated system should only be used to check and it takes an ACTUAL person to oversee this shit. Absolute madness this.
And the companies representing artists like Miracle of Sound REALLY, REALLY should have stopped to ask said artists about this crap before launching this kind of stupidity. Could've saved a lot of headaches.