Zack Snyder Directing Next Superman Movie

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Random Argument Man said:
No! Bad Hollywood! BAD!

I can let you take care of Superman if you promise 3 things:

-No slow motion
-No awkward sex scene with no relation to the story. (If there's is one, make it quick. I don't need a slow motion sex scene again).
-No bad CGI blood.

There! Are we clear Hollywood?
it's superman do we expect those things really only thing is slow mo
O.T I might go see this but it's superman the man with no weakness except to a rock and has god like powers never really appealed to me

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Was looking forward to this new Superman project... Until I saw this news. He made a lifeless and shallow Watchmen film that completely missed the mark, how will he be the one who can do an amazing job of Superman? Especially when you have such good people involved with it, maybe they saw something in him though, who knows.

Seriously, Superman Returns was a good film, I have no idea why they needed another reboot, it had some problems sure but it was well done.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
All personal feelings about Snyder's movies aside*, he's absolutely the most inappropriate person to helm this film. Again, this is regardless of the merits of his talent, but looking at this objectively, he has a very, very narrow skillset. He can make the occassional striking visual, and he indulges in gratuitous violence and nudity (all set to rock music and slowmo). Granted, he's got an animated family film out now that goes against type, but from what I've heard, 'tepid' is the best word to describe Legend of the Guardians. So, out of his directorial skills, the only one that fits is the striking visuals, and it's doubtful that Warner Bros. is going to let Snyder insert bloodshed and breast-shots into a Superman movie.

The other thing that puts me off to this news is that Snyder, despite his love of mythic visuals, doesn't really offer the same sense of optimistic grandeur that goes hand-in-hand with Superman (see All-Star Superman to get a sense of what I'm talking about). Superman's supposed to be at once relateable and larger-than-life, like some sort of folk hero (as opposed to Batman, who is larger-than-life but completely mysterious, a boogeyman figure). And Superman, as a character, has a degree of sentimentality to him, representing the best of everyone, a trait that doesn't pop up in any of Snyder's films (everything's dour and macho and grim'n'gritty in them, isn't it?).

Then again, the only director on the list Warner Bros. and Nolan had that made sense was Aronofsky. The Fountain showed he had the chops for genuine sentiment (something that's really hard to pull off nowadays), and that he could mix it with big, fantastic visuals (Duncan Jones was close, but Moon hewed a bit too close to Nolan to fit in with Superman), but I doubted they were going to pick him.

Not that anyone asked, but the only good film I think Zack Snyder's done is the dumbed-down remake of Dawn of the Dead. Yes, the intentionally stupid movie was far better than his 'smart' films. 300 was all visuals and no soul, and Watchmen completely missed the point. And I think it's ridiculous that he was being marketed as a visionary for stealing Robert Rodriguez's technique for Sin City.

EDIT for P.S.: If the new Superman is good, though, I'll gladly eat my words.

And a P.P.S: Anyone else think Matthew Fox (Jack Shepard on Lost, if you don't know) would make a great Superman? Somehow, I could see him fitting into the role, and since Robert Downey, Jr. played Iron Man, we know studios don't have to limit themselves to young actors for the big superhero parts.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Tankichi said:
Am i the only one who liked Superman Returns?
Nah, I liked it, too, but it wasn't as good a movie as it could have been from Bryan Singer. Plus, the Super-Kid kinda raised some...*ahem*...unfortunate questions that Kevin Smith made a point to articulate.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I'm plesantly surprised. Zach Snyder is kind of a hit and miss in Hollywood (though I've liked to loved every one of his films), so he really has a good future ahead of him.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Trogdor1138 said:
Was looking forward to this new Superman project... Until I saw this news. He made a lifeless and shallow Watchmen film that completely missed the mark, how will he be the one who can do an amazing job of Superman? Especially when you have such good people involved with it, maybe they saw something in him though, who knows.

Seriously, Superman Returns was a good film, I have no idea why they needed another reboot, it had some problems sure but it was well done.
Ugh, it really grinds my gears when people say that Watchmen was a failure.

Could it really have been a better movie adaptation in the hands of any one else? The fact that he managed to cram in every thing that they managed to cram in was beyond me.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
Giving the man with a criminal lack of cinematic subtlety the least outwardly unsubtle character in the history of anything sounds good on paper. But it isn't. At all.

I hope Nolan's script can save this.

Sep 17, 2009
I loved 300 and I thought Watchmen was ok...but c'mon really?

Superman is faster than a speeding bullet...

Not faster than a speeding bullet, then really slow, then fast again as he completes his course of action.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I read Spiderman movie...

Sounds good. Let the speculation begin! Also, I slightly enjoyed Returns.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
I like Snyder! If anyone can be os OCD about superhero films and get them looking cool, its him. Also Suckerpunch looks great!

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Tdc2182 said:
Trogdor1138 said:

Ugh, it really grinds my gears when people say that Watchmen was a failure.

Could it really have been a better movie adaptation in the hands of any one else? The fact that he managed to cram in every thing that they managed to cram in was beyond me.
That doesn't mean it was a good film. They were better off not making it, as every previous director attached to it before realized it couldn't be done effectively and give the comic justice. I don't know why it needed to be made in the first place.

Look, I think it had some great elements to it, but it just didn't feel right and could've been better anyways. Not to mention he axed a heap of great things and changed around core elements while still trying to make it completely faithful, you can't have one or the other.

Let's see how the "visionary" director handles Superman. Because apparently you're a visionary director by doing a few average comic action films.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Thank you. That was very informative, and I appreciate the effort that went into it. I'm sorry if I'm a little pretentious, but I much prefer a strong explanation for motives over random hatred.
Don't blame ya, this story just filled me with bile. I was routing for Duncan Jones. You put it most concisely with saying he made Watchmen boring.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I'll take it. And not just because "Watchmen" is the third best superhero movie ever (TDK and Spider-Man 2 are the others.)

Snyder has chops. He knows how to direct big-scale fantasy/action sequences, he's not intimidated by "out-there" material and he bends over backwards to show reverence in translating the source material even if it's "goofy" - i.e. I probably don't have to worry about Superman showing up in crummy-looking black armor like Batman or the X-Men continue to do. Yeah, he overdoes the speed-ramping; but in an age when most "action" directors militantly avoid scene-geography and shot-composition in favor of "immersive" shaky-cam, I like the notion of the director who likes proper-composition SO MUCH he wants to freeze the movie to show it off.

The thing is... I've seen "reverent-Americana-mythmaking" Superman from Richard Donner, and I liked it then. I've seen "postmodern-introspective-symbolic" Superman from Bryan Singer, and I liked that, too. But I've NEVER seen, at least not in live-action, a full-on "holy-crap-that-guy-can-fly-and-shoot-eye-lasers-and-omigod-he-threw-a-building-at-a-guy" visual-centric EPIC Superman; which is more-or-less what I'd expect out of Snyder... though I'm curious to find out if he has a "favorite" era or story of the character to get some idea of what it'll end up looking/sounding like.

But the prospect of Superman vs. Zod playing out as comic-accurate as, say, the origin of Dr. Manhattan or any of the action beats from "300?" Yeah, sign me up for that.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Good! Im a Supeman fan i really want to see him in a great movie again, Please let him fight Doomsday or Darksied or someone like that!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Casual Shinji said:
I loved 300 and Watchmen was a great flick aswell.

So I guess I'll be one of the few to say, "Go Snyder, go!"
300 was great, but 300 was a meathead film that was to be consumed. I actually watched it the other day and it works really well for what it is.

I personally think Superman needs a special touch in order to have it work properly, otherwise you could fuck it up royally. I don't think Snyder has what it takes, but that's me. Like I said, Nolan's producing and his brother's involved as well so it'll hopefully be alright.
For me it's the opposite.

Superman needs to be flashy and maybe even somewhat campy, and Snyder is just the man to make that work. Nolan however seems to have this urge to ground everything in reality which, for a Superman movie, doesn't hold much promise.

But hopefully Snyder and Nolan can fill in for eachothers weaknesses: Snyder can take care of the action and visuals and Nolan can take care of the writing.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Casual Shinji said:
I loved 300 and Watchmen was a great flick aswell.

So I guess I'll be one of the few to say, "Go Snyder, go!"
300 was great, but 300 was a meathead film that was to be consumed. I actually watched it the other day and it works really well for what it is.

I personally think Superman needs a special touch in order to have it work properly, otherwise you could fuck it up royally. I don't think Snyder has what it takes, but that's me. Like I said, Nolan's producing and his brother's involved as well so it'll hopefully be alright.
For me it's the opposite.

Superman needs to be flashy and maybe even somewhat campy, and Snyder is just the man to make that work. Nolan however seems to have this urge to ground everything in realility which, for a Superman movie, doesn't hold much promise.

But hopefully Snyder and Nolan can fill in for eachothers weaknesses: Snyder can take care of the action and visuals and Nolan can take care of the writing.
Indeed. I think the days of Campy Superman flying with the American flag have passed now, and feel the only way it can work now is a more Introspective Soupes, but each to his own. Either way, if this wasn't being penned by the Nolans I'd be scared of the outcome. Studios always rush out crappy films just to hold onto the rights, I mean look at Ghost Rider...

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
Ehhh, any director but him would have been good. I don't like the way he does his action scenes.