Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Not a chance in hell. Weapon breakage can fuck off. It still holds true to the hallmarks of what I hated about BotW, the aimless world, the repetitive shrines, the weapon durability system.

It's a lot of factors that I have a problem with.
Just thought that the AssCreed comparison they made might’ve been relevant since you mentioned Ubisoft, but maybe not lol.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
No, I played Ocarina though.
And that had a "lack of story?"

To each their own, but of all the LoZ games I've played, Ocarnia, Majora, and Twilight I'd definitely recommend on the story front.

I wouldn't even give FF7 a 10/10. You know how hard that is for me?
...so does that mean you won't give FF10 a 7? :p

I mean, I'd personally give it a 5 or 6, but meh.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
...so does that mean you won't give FF10 a 7? :p
What did i give FFX in the mega FF thread? probably at least a 7 if not higher.

To each their own, but of all the LoZ games I've played, Ocarnia, Majora, and Twilight I'd definitely recommend on the story front.
I think I've only played three or four total Zelda games not counting spin offs. Link to the Past, Ocarina, Link between worlds, and BotW.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So I recently stopped playing BOTW. I got bored of the big map, meager combat, and definitely weapons more fragile than average twitter snowflakes.

It looks like TOTK is more or less the same, now with sandbox engineering. That means players who are more orthodox and conventional with their approach are gonna spend more time agonizing on how to solve problems, while creative players are gonna exploit the fuck out of whatever challenges they come across.

I mean, i guess the intent was to reward resourcefulness and quick thinking, but not everyone will be able to do that. AndI have been experiencing this in BOTW; fighting like a regular action game makes combat really dull or annoyingly difficult. But as soon as i start playing like madman, it becomes easy but I always can't muster the brain power to plan 10 moves ahead.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I played about an hour or so last night as my copy turned up early (thank you Shopto.net). And my first impressions are a bit meh. The game reminds me of Elden Ring in the starting area as everything is yellow. Not in the difficulty though as there are only a few enemy robots knocking around. But so far, so familiar, it basically is repeating the opening part from Breath of the Wild. You know the drill, go to the shrines, get the magic powers and open the door to the start of the actual game.

The crafting thing is pretty simple to use, though I'm not a fan of "shaking" it to disassemble what you have created, a button press would of suited me better. And I'm noticed the game does have a little bit of slow down when doing, not a lot. I've noticed it most when climbing around in trees of all things.

So yeah, first impressions are not great. But I am still in the opening part of the game, I'm sure once I get past this and get into more of the world that isn't yellow, I'll end up really liking this game like I did Breath of the Wild.

Reactions: BrawlMan

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
This is the first release of a 3D Zelda game that I'm not especially excited for. I'm sure it's a perfectly good game and all, It just seems iterative in a way none of the others have been. Like I wrote in the other Thread. It seems like the Mario Galaxy 2 of the series.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah everything I've seen (and a couple of friends streaming it into Discord) its just BotW + Scrap Mechanic lite (and the only reason to play Scrap Mechanic or Trailmakers generally was for nonsense complexity lol)

With that full disclaimer of only skimming these review vids and some intermittent gameplay, much like BotW, it just seems like a bunch of disparate ideas (none of which are generally speaking bad, though the grindfest crafting and weapon durability are certainly... choices). dumped into a world with no proverbial meat and potatoes to tie the whole experience together.

Sure the physics gimmicks are (relatively) impressive to accomplish on the Switch, but thats like tying the entirety of Half Life 2 around the gravity gun, neat gimmick but enough to hang the game on by itself.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So I recently stopped playing BOTW. I got bored of the big map, meager combat, and definitely weapons more fragile than average twitter snowflakes.

It looks like TOTK is more or less the same, now with sandbox engineering. That means players who are more orthodox and conventional with their approach are gonna spend more time agonizing on how to solve problems, while creative players are gonna exploit the fuck out of whatever challenges they come across.

I mean, i guess the intent was to reward resourcefulness and quick thinking, but not everyone will be able to do that. AndI have been experiencing this in BOTW; fighting like a regular action game makes combat really dull or annoyingly difficult. But as soon as i start playing like madman, it becomes easy but I always can't muster the brain power to plan 10 moves ahead.
I’m wondering what type of logic this new system follows. Nearly every review I’ve seen praises the game’s capacity for player “creativity”, but if like, practically anything is possible then what significance does any of it wind up having? Are there any rules within its design? It sounds like you can just slap x shit on y shit and wind up with cool Z shit. Sure that adds depth, but it also kinda sounds like over engineering for the sake of itself.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I’m wondering what type of logic this new system follows. Nearly every review I’ve seen praises the game’s capacity for player “creativity”, but if like, practically anything is possible then what significance does any of it wind up having? Are there any rules within its design? It sounds like you can just slap x shit on y shit and wind up with cool Z shit. Sure that adds depth, but it also kinda sounds like over engineering for the sake of itself.
Player creativity within a limited universe only goes so far, because there have to be limits for the rest of the game to happen. Essentially there are tools that can be used in creative ways much the same way the tablet things worked in BotW right? Like freezing a log, beat the shit out of it, jump onto the log before the freeze ends, then go flying like General Tao in Dragonball. That's the kind of creativity we're talking about. Which is much different than something that Minecraft offers for example.

It's creativity but it's not creation.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I imagine the problem will mostly be that while you can always make weird creative solution to problem, there's always going to be one that work better than anything else and pretty quickly player will just constantly use the same one (ie, if most puzzle are traverse mechanic, making a bridge might end up the solution that's used every time). At that point, the flexibility of the system becomes more of an hindrance because the control aren't specialized enough to let the player quickly make a bridge, ending up with a lot of messing around in menu to just essentially make the same thing over and over.

It's like all those creative game where you watch video of player doing all kind of crazy over complicated build, but as a player yourself you get bored very quickly because there's no reason to and anything you make will be less interesting than the stuff you've seen player who can dedicate days to perfect their build.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'll have more to say, but I got to play for about 20 minutes (or just enough to get past the initial introduction scene) before I had to go to work this morning. But I don't like the open as much as BotW's. BotW has a couple minute cutscene before dumping you right into the game. The first 20 minutes of this game had me slowly walk down a really long corridor with no combat or dialogue playing or anything other than matching Zelda's stride for around half the open and about 10x as much cutscene as BotW had for the other half. Bad open for a game. Doesn't say much though, Skyrim had a terrible opening too. There is kind of a funny bit where they expect Link to just jump off a cliff, I guess because a prompt says press A to jump. Should have been a troll ending. Link heroically leaps off a cliff and falls majestically for 30 or so seconds before splattering head first on a huge boulder.

Now, once work is over, y'all probably won't hear from me for a few days. I'll probably be marathoning Tears of the Kingdom for a while.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Not a chance in hell. Weapon breakage can fuck off. It still holds true to the hallmarks of what I hated about BotW, the aimless world, the repetitive shrines, the weapon durability system.

It's a lot of factors that I have a problem with.
Judging by what you've said so far, the only one I'd recommend to you is Majora's Mask. Much more unique (and in-depth) story; focused, thematically strong world/areas; strange and unsettling tone; packed with optional and hidden stuff, and well fleshed out characters. And lacks pretty much everything you've identified as reasons you disliked BOTW.

OT: Massive Zelda fan here, but I gotta wait one more day for my copy to arrive. I did take a teeny peek at the leaks and excitement is high.

Reactions: CriticalGaming