Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Thread

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I imagine the problem will mostly be that while you can always make weird creative solution to problem, there's always going to be one that work better than anything else and pretty quickly player will just constantly use the same one (ie, if most puzzle are traverse mechanic, making a bridge might end up the solution that's used every time). At that point, the flexibility of the system becomes more of an hindrance because the control aren't specialized enough to let the player quickly make a bridge, ending up with a lot of messing around in menu to just essentially make the same thing over and over.

It's like all those creative game where you watch video of player doing all kind of crazy over complicated build, but as a player yourself you get bored very quickly because there's no reason to and anything you make will be less interesting than the stuff you've seen player who can dedicate days to perfect their build.

The ur-Example of this is Minecraft. Sure you can build this Redstone nightmae contrapation that opens valves and swaps out magma blocks to make a water elevator.

You could also just put down 12 ladders or literally 12 blocks of dirt lol.

(And yeah, I'm the guy on Ark who has the fancy stables and drawbridges and gabled roofs next to all the 20x30 concrete boxes lol)

From what I've seen most of the puzzles are pretty baseline (which is fair, tis like a E for everyone thing I believe) and not eally stretching your brian out to figure out how to use the bits they gave you either.

Reactions: meiam

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I feel this game is gonna be just like OoT 20-30 years down the line; sure, its gonna get all the praises NOW with criticisms falling on deaf years, but as time goes on more and more people realize its many flaws.

And I personally experienced this myself. Used to think OoT was greatest game ever made, but as time went i started to see more flaws that goes beyond the infamous water temple

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I feel this game is gonna be just like OoT 20-30 years down the line; sure, its gonna get all the praises NOW with criticisms falling on deaf years, but as time goes on more and more people realize its many flaws.

And I personally experienced this myself. Used to think OoT was greatest game ever made, but as time went i started to see more flaws that goes beyond the infamous water temple
@Kyrian007 and I talked about this in the hot threads section. It's another Zelda cycle, similar to Sonic with the retroactive changing opinion bullshit. These spineless suck ups will only change their opinion when the heat dies down or just jump the bandwagon. While at the same time, the psychotic fans will eat it up or take the either bait every single time.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@Kyrian007 and I talked about this in the hot threads section. It's another Zelda cycle, similar to Sonic with the retroactive changing opinion bullshit. These spineless suck ups will only change their opinion when the heat dies down or just jump the bandwagon. While at the same time, the psychotic fans will eat it up or take the either bait every single time.
Nintendo in general are masters of making each new game in a given IP just more of the same. And while that can be good, it is a really stale pattern. Every mario is the same, every zelda, every pokemon. Nintendo games are games you but every 3rd or 4th new game in the series when you are just in the mood for more of whatever it is.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nintendo in general are masters of making each new game in a given IP just more of the same. And while that can be good, it is a really stale pattern. Every mario is the same, every zelda, every pokemon. Nintendo games are games you but every 3rd or 4th new game in the series when you are just in the mood for more of whatever it is.
At least Mario and Kirby bothered to spin it up and mix it up every few times. Look at Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. I consider it the best 2.5D platformer Nintendo has ever published. All credit goes to Retro Studios though. I find Tropical Freeze to be better than Mario Odyssey and 3D World. There was also ARMS, but Nintendo hasn't bothered making another game like it since then. Splatoon is a great multiplayer franchise, but I'm not into it. But even within that series they tried mixing it up and adding new stuff that are good in each games' update.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
At least Mario and Kirby bothered to spin it up and mix it up every few times. Look at Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. I consider it the best 2.5D platformer Nintendo has ever published. All credit goes to Retro Studios though. I find Tropical Freeze to be better than Mario Odyssey and 3D World. There was also ARMS, but Nintendo hasn't bothered making another game like it since then. Splatoon is a great multiplayer franchise, but I'm not into it. But even within that series they tried mixing it up and adding new stuff that are good in each games' update.
But is it mixed up really? The basics are always the same. New worlds and a new but not repeated mechanic doesnt make that much of a difference game to game imo. Mario odyssey feels the same as Galaxy, and thats fine. There is an expectation of how these games always feel and play and that is probably Nintendo's biggest strength.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But is it mixed up really? The basics are always the same. New worlds and a new but not repeated mechanic doesnt make that much of a difference game to game imo. Mario odyssey feels the same as Galaxy, and thats fine. There is an expectation of how these games always feel and play and that is probably Nintendo's biggest strength.
Whil Odyssey is the game that's more in line with Mario 64 & Galaxy, it still does more than enough to change it up and do its own thing. Don't tell me you forgot about the hat possession? The main gameplay factor? Or the fact that Mario can now use his hat as an extra platform and jump? Have you already forgotten about Kirby and the Forgotten Land? They definitely changed things up for Kirby in a 3D space. In fact, Kirby is usually when Nintendo gets the most experimental. Kirby Pinball and Block Ball ring any bells? That one 3DS game where he's on a planet full of machines and uses a mech? While certain core factors are the same, more than enough is done to mix it up. So yes, they mix it up. Play Tropical Freeze and you'll know what I mean. Did you ever play Tropical Freeze by any chance? If you're going to touch your Switch, I highly recommend you play that.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm an hour or so in, and it's a little awkward. It really tries to echo the opening of Breath of the Wild, but with zero of that opening's brevity and awe. Whatever you might've thought of BotW the start wastes none of your time, and that intro to the land of Hyrule fills you with an immediate sense of adventure. Tears of the Kingdom starts you off with a slow walking section through a cave, and while I generally have little issue with slow walking intros/sections in games providing the game is very character focussed, Zelda is not one of those games. Then when the game sets you off in the early sections of the open-world it feels rather tepid, where you're doing pretty much the exact same tutorials as BotW but in a less visually interesting setting and with less interesting enemies and NPCs.

I'm sure it'll pick up, but starting off the sequel to one of the most beloved and highly acclaimed games ever with a cold coffee version of said game's opening is... a little strange.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'm an hour or so in, and it's a little awkward. It really tries to echo the opening of Breath of the Wild, but with zero of that opening's brevity and awe. Whatever you might've thought of BotW the start wastes none of your time, and that intro to the land of Hyrule fills you with an immediate sense of adventure. Tears of the Kingdom starts you off with a slow walking section through a cave, and while I generally have little issue with slow walking intros/sections in games providing the game is very character focussed, Zelda is not one of those games. Then when the game sets you off in the early sections of the open-world it feels rather tepid, where you're doing pretty much the exact same tutorials as BotW but in a less visually interesting setting and with less interesting enemies and NPCs.

I'm sure it'll pick up, but starting off the sequel to one of the most beloved and highly acclaimed games ever with a cold coffee version of said game's opening is... a little strange.
Sounds like they’ve fallen victim a bit to the cinematic approach.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Sounds like they’ve fallen victim a bit to the cinematic approach.
A bit, but it is nice to see actual character interaction with Zelda that isn't just cutscenes or an ending sequence. It's nice for building up a bit of tension before the biggest non-spoiler everyone figured out from the trailers: the game's a direct sequel to Skyward Sword as well as BotW. The new apps are interesting and I'm still experimenting with what's possible*, but I really wish bomb was still an app.

(* By that I mean, doing literally anything other than seeing what I can put a flamethrower on and cackling like a maniac at the predictable results.)

EDIT: We can add "boomerangs" to the list of "things you shouldn't fuse with a flamethrower".

1684017452303.png

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
A bit, but it is nice to see actual character interaction with Zelda that isn't just cutscenes or an ending sequence. It's nice for building up a bit of tension before the biggest non-spoiler everyone figured out from the trailers: the game's a direct sequel to Skyward Sword as well as BotW. The new apps are interesting and I'm still experimenting with what's possible*, but I really wish bomb was still an app.

(* By that I mean, doing literally anything other than seeing what I can put a flamethrower on and cackling like a maniac at the predictable results.)

EDIT: We can add "boomerangs" to the list of "things you shouldn't fuse with a flamethrower".

View attachment 8818
The more I hear about it, the more it actually kinda sounds like it’d be an atypically good drinking game.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
So no one here is a Zelda fan? Lines outside the door on release day, high scores across the board, and not one person here actually loves this game? So weird.

Well I don't play Nintendo stuff and the new Zelda games are not for me either for multiple reasons but I gotta say how much I respect Tears. It is interesting to follow.
It seems they leaned into everything that makes BotW what it is and more, which is really the perfect sequel. It also seems to run well and look good for what it is, something many feared due to the "old" hardware.

I agree with SkillUp- it's pretty amazing you can have this huge sandbox game with physics mechanics and quests and areas to explore that is 16GB and you can carry around with you.

It will absolutely win GOTY and all the awards this year and it probably deserves it. Look at how many franchises have turned to shit and lost their way, and here is a beloved franchise expanding and developing, pulling old fans along with it and pulling in new fans, and sticking to its guns. Yes that means many will not like it, but if we want games to have a vision and be true to themselves we should respect when games actually do that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So no one here is a Zelda fan? Lines outside the door on release day, high scores across the board, and not one person here actually loves this game? So weird.
I like Age of Calamity and the other HW spin-off, but that's about it. I do have an appreciation for Twilight Princess and Wind Waker's art direction.

Well I don't play Nintendo stuff and the new Zelda games are not for me either for multiple reasons but I gotta say how much I respect Tears. It is interesting to follow.
It seems they leaned into everything that makes BotW what it is and more, which is really the perfect sequel. It also seems to run well and look good for what it is, something many feared due to the "old" hardware.

I agree with SkillUp- it's pretty amazing you can have this huge sandbox game with physics mechanics and quests and areas to explore that is 16GB and you can carry around with you.
Like I said before, I know it's not a bad game, but it is nowhere near the "exclusive, ultra, premium, higher quality than are other expensive games we never price drop!" $10 up charge Nintendo claims to be. Congrats on devaluing your other games and say they don't count Nintendo, you greedy shit bags!

It will absolutely win GOTY and all the awards this year and it probably deserves it. Look at how many franchises have turned to shit and lost their way, and here is a beloved franchise expanding and developing, pulling old fans along with it and pulling in new fans, and sticking to its guns. Yes that means many will not like it, but if we want games to have a vision and be true to themselves we should respect when games actually do that.
Game Journalism bias. Good thing they don't have the definitive opinions many of them like to think they do. I don't doubt sincerity from those that try or are actual good hearted fans, but TotK will not be on my list. So far my contenders are Hi-Fi Rush, RE4R, and SFVI when it comes out. There are other games on my potential list, but they're either not out yet, or I have not played them yet.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010

I'm a massive Legend of Zelda fan and have been since I first played Links Awakening on my Gameboy when I was in high school. I drink beer from a LoZ glass, I drink my sleep tea from a LoZ mug and my PS5 powers a LoZ light (don't tell Nintendo, they'll probably throw me in jail). Not every game is a classic. I didn't really rate Wind Waker, I enjoyed the sailing but almost all of the islands had nothing to do on them. And the less said about Skyward Sword the better.

When I made my previous comment, I had only played an hour or so of it and in fairness, the intro section of this game goes on for far too long. It is similar to BotW but for some reason it is less fun. Maybe because there is precious little to do on that floating island, I don't know but I do know that I couldn't wait to leave it. When I'd done the first three temples and then got told by tutorial guy that there was another one, my heart sank.

Having played more of them game and I'm getting into it now, it is pretty much more of Breath of the Wild with some bells and whistles tacked on. There are actual caves and wells to explore now. Something that I remember wishing BotW had in it. I like the Fuse skill, I found out to my glee that with a stick and an explosive barrel I can create hand grenades. And then promptly blew myself up testing it out. The Ubisoft towers are good fun now as they shoot you up in the air and you have to come gliding back down. And I like the explanation for the weapons breaking because the Gloom made them all decay. Really,? So what was the excuse for BotW then?

The game is good, I really like it and I'm sure given a bit more time, I will love it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So swimming is still shit - you again drown within 10 seconds of hitting the water. And weapons being unimportant attack items as opposed to legitimate feeling weapons also still applies. And the weapon crafting so far only adds to the grind of managing your items.

By the way, how the fuck do you detach shit that you've glued to one another? I keep messing up sticking things together and than needing to start from scratch or abandoning it all together.