zerg comparrison sc1 and sc2

chieften

Sep 15, 2009
As a terran player, I am surprised there has been little mention of the brood lords. if zerg can mass a couple of those, it takes a full army to take em down. They can just keep constantly spawning broodlings.

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
chieften said:
As a terran player, I am surprised there has been little mention of the brood lords. if zerg can mass a couple of those, it takes a full army to take em down. They can just keep constantly spawning broodlings.
Brood Lords are the reincarnation of SC1s Guardian, which, like the Brood Lord, was a anti-ground flyer with a retardedly long range (Greater than a seiged tank from memory) Brood Lords are quite tame in comparison.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Azure Sky said:
Flying-Emu said:
The roach's comparable unit for the Terran is the Marauder. Any decent Zerg player is going to have no trouble getting to the Roach Warren, since lings STILL go out as fast or faster than any opposing tier 1 unit.
Nor do any player from what I have seen have trouble going factory at the same speed.
It is still a 4 step process if I'm not wrong. (Z: Spawning Pool > Roach Warren > Units. T: Barracks > Factory > Units. Both requiring gas.)
And unless I am incorrect, although a factory requires gas, Helions do not, as opposed to the reverse for Roaches. (Or does the Roach Warren require gas as well?)

Lings are still inferior to any opposing tier 1 unit. =3
RW takes no gas, but each Roach takes 25 gas.

I agree that lings are inferior to any T1 unit. Best way to make the general populace like them would be to somehow make them a hard counter to Immortals.

Since Immortals are irritating and make me cry.
chieften said:

Vikings.

Seriously. You get vikings out so fast, and you dominate the skies. BL are t3 units that cost an absolutely ungodly amount of resources.

If anything, I'd say that BL are the one thing the Zerg DO have that can properly bunkerbust a late-game Terran (since they inevitably have obscene numbers of Siege tanks to block Baneling rushes).

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
I agree that lings are inferior to any T1 unit. Best way to make the general populace like them would be to somehow make them a hard counter to Immortals.

Since Immortals are irritating and make me cry.
I really don't use Immortals as often as I should...
They just seem so expensive, and the 4 food req is kinda heavy.

That and they kinda don't slot well with my nubish Warp In strategies and Prism use. XD

Meteor4118

Apr 7, 2008
Lol, Gotta love the Warp Prism DT's I've seen a lot of games end that way, Made me glad I friended that person for a 2v2 strat, I hold off the early stuff with a few 20 lings, and then he builds up.

Also, the only real Complaint I have about zerg, is the fact that Corrupters only have single target debuffs, as opposed to old devourers who had their aoe - armor shots. 20% is useful on BC's when you're single targeting, But I wouldn't mind a 10% aoe instead. That would really help when You've got void ray spam coming out of every protoss opponent who has a brain.

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
I have never played star craft but i have seen comentaries and i was wondering, what do supply depos and over lords do.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
open trap said:
I have never played star craft but i have seen comentaries and i was wondering, what do supply depos and over lords do.
they determine the maximum number of units you can have on the field.

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
Altorin said:
open trap said:
So they raise the unit cap i see. What is the Protoss version of that.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
open trap said:
Altorin said:
open trap said:
So they raise the unit cap i see. What is the Protoss version of that.
Pylons

Supply Depots are standard buildings, although in SC2 they can drop down to allow friendly units to pass. It is just legitimizing a tactic from Starcraft where Terran would use Supply Depots as makeshift walls.

Overlords are creatures that can slowly fly around, see invisible units, and scout around. They can also carry zerg ground units and fly them across bad terrain, like a Shuttle or Dropship.

Pylons power Protoss buildings (all buildings have to be within a certain radius of a Pylon), and in Starcraft 2, they can be used for Warp-in tactics, where you can warp to anywhere that is powered by a pylon

ConfusedCrib

Oct 30, 2008
Idra won the king of the beta tournament as Zerg, the Koreans play Zerg like crazy, in fact they often think zerg is imbalanced. Point is, Zerg requires a lot of practice and APM to be good at, sorry nobody has that...

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
ConfusedCrib said:
Idra won the king of the beta tournament as Zerg, the Koreans play Zerg like crazy, in fact they often think zerg is imbalanced. Point is, Zerg requires a lot of practice and APM to be good at, sorry nobody has that...
Please refer to this
DarkDain said:
Yeah im on the forum right now, been keeping up with the war. Basically the debate is as uphill as ZvT is in the game itself. Terrans call it QQ and say its fine (cuz sc1 was totally balanced when it was first released riiiight?) Someone made a wonderful post though composing all the best logical arguments and gameplay issues from all over the forum, remarks from many professional starcraft players and even a neat korean poll showing the mass zerg exodus into terran. Only a couple terrans have attempted the 'QQ more l2p the pros are nubs' defense in that thread. the war continues u.u

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
ConfusedCrib said:
Sorry to hear that even the stats on Korean server for Zerg have also dropped, the so-called "Koreans playing Zerg" more is an outdated statistic. And if you haven't heard, some of the zerg pros are switching races, this can tell you that SOMETHING is wrong with the current balance of the races.

The numbers can tell you this though:
http://www.sc2ranks.com/stats/kr/all/all

LightOfDarkness

Mar 18, 2010
Yosharian said:
I've been watching some vids of Argos play Zerg and he seems to manage just fine, sounds like QQ to me
There will always be people who dominate with the most underpowered weapon/race/class/whatever.

I think that zerg just needs cheaper (and better/more) upgrades. So that in the beginning they good, and after that they can still hold their own.

ALSO: walling is countered with mass banelings.

Even if you dont have enough zerglings to rush, as long as the wall is down then you have an advantage. If he moves his a lot of SCVs to make a new wall, then he'll be behind economically. If he only gets a few or one SCV to build a new wall, then you might be able to get enough banelings and zerglings to break through the wall and go on a rush. Might even be able to get in a surprise attack from behind with a few muta's if you have enough zerglings (or the skill to make them and coordinate the attack at the same time). I usually aim for the gas (if it's up), the barracks or the SCVs. Tech labs and other upgrade buildings are if I have enough to spare.

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
LightOfDarkness said:
Yosharian said:
I've been watching some vids of Argos play Zerg and he seems to manage just fine, sounds like QQ to me
There will always be people who dominate with the most underpowered weapon/race/class/whatever.

I think that zerg just needs cheaper (and better/more) upgrades. So that in the beginning they good, and after that they can still hold their own.
I do believe that Zerg have the most expensive opening building in the game Terran and Protoss have their Barracks/Gateway at 150 minerals, Zerg have their Spawning pool at a whopping 250 minerals (Yes, I am counting the cost of the drone)

Not counting the fact that most all people will already have shelled out for a Overlord/Supply depo/Pylon, or at least be building it at the same time.

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
Azure Sky said:
LightOfDarkness said:
Yosharian said:

I do believe that Zerg have the most expensive opening building in the game Terran and Protoss have their Barracks/Gateway at 150 minerals, Zerg have their Spawning pool at a whopping 250 minerals (Yes, I am counting the cost of the drone)

Not counting the fact that most all people will already have shelled out for a Overlord/Supply depo/Pylon, or at least be building it at the same time.
Problem with having the Spawning Pool anything below the 200 minerals cost is that you will have the exact same problem as you did in Brood War, with 6-pool and 8-pool being a lot more viable.

LightOfDarkness

Mar 18, 2010
TerranReaper said:
Azure Sky said:
LightOfDarkness said:
Yosharian said:

Problem with having the Spawning Pool anything below the 200 minerals cost is that you will have the exact same problem as you did in Brood War, with 6-pool and 8-pool being a lot more viable.
Well, then keep the spawning pool at 200 minerals, but make the upgrades cheaper.

DAMN THE ABUSERS OF CHEAP STUFF.

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
LightOfDarkness said:
TerranReaper said:
Azure Sky said:
LightOfDarkness said:
Yosharian said:

Well, then keep the spawning pool at 200 minerals, but make the upgrades cheaper.

DAMN THE ABUSERS OF CHEAP STUFF.
Have you SEEN the cost of some of my Protoss upgrades?

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
damn it!!! reading all those comments about tactics and counter-tactics about SC2 made me want to buy the damn game!!!!

I hate you all....