Zero Punctuation: A Shadow's Tale

Vjam

Mar 30, 2009
It looks like Dead Space 2 is gonna be reviewed next week then, this week's was good though!

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
Speaking of samey boring etc. etc. Until someone points me to where i can find why yahtzee is throwing such a hissy over America, if he's even explained it at all, I'm just going to assume he's throwing tantrums because his girlfriend left him for a Californian beach walker.

Fuck, there are so much more clever jokes about America, stop reaching into the garbage bin for the easy shit.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
The Wii is not the graphics king. Flash of 360 with the crown. Please..... Standard console centric world view. There is another format that has better graphics. But whatever, the pic of the 360 was probably more recognizable. Typical mis-representation.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
....Why not go with Donkey Kong Country Returns if you want to review a Wii platformer?
Because it would be less of a review and more of Yahtzee going "Wii sucks, yo" for 4 minutes like he always does, even if the game in question isn't even on the Wii. Here's a fun drinking game, take a shot every time Yahtzee insults Nintendo during a non Nintendo game review. Congrats, you have alcohol poisoning. We get it Yahtzee, Nintendo burned down your house and raped your dog, but much like your opinions on countries that aren't Australia, we don't care.

Thorinair

Nov 4, 2010
dex-dex said:
yeah Why does American always need to be freaking different?
sorcerer's stone? does america think their youth are too stupid to know what a philosopher was?
You are aware that it's also called "Lost in Shadow" in Canada, too, right? I mean, Canada and the US are pretty much the same place in terms of game markets. And about the Philosopher's Stone title change, well, let's just say nobody's ever gone broke underestimating a child's intelligence.

Yahtzee does seem to be picking on America a lot, though. What's he so mad about?

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
This video didn't seem as inspired as some of his other better ones, but it was still ok.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
dex-dex said:
sorcerer's stone? does america think their youth are too stupid to know what a philosopher was?
Well actually the Philosophers Stone was the element for immortality that all Alchemists were searching for.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
More Fun To Compute said:
ICO isn't actually pronounced like that. But, ah, fudge it, who cares.
It is when obeying the most common pronunciation rules of English. It's the same reason that every Japanese word imported into English is pronounced differently to the original pronunciation. If one wants to get picky, 'ICO' is arguably a misleading transliteration of Japanese to English characters. 'IKO' would have been more suitable, and is the usual way, to represent the intended pronunciation. Anyway, countless words, names and places in Japanese games and about Japanese games, are pronounced badly every day. Like 'Ryu' being a two syllable name.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
The Wii is not the graphics king. Flash of 360 with the crown. Please..... Standard console centric world view. There is another format that has better graphics. But whatever, the pic of the 360 was probably more recognizable. Typical mis-representation.
The Wii is a console so compare it to consoles. Of course it's 'console centric', but that's not a bad thing in this case. I'm sure there's a super computer or experimental mega computational beast machine out there that destroys the best ATI or Geforce card available today, however, it would be a comparison entirely out of context.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
UberNoodle said:
It is when obeying the most common pronunciation rules of English. It's the same reason that every Japanese word imported into English is pronounced differently to the original pronunciation. If one wants to get picky, 'ICO' is arguably a misleading transliteration of Japanese to English characters. 'IKO' would have been more suitable, and is the usual way, to represent the intended pronunciation. Anyway, countless words, names and places in Japanese games and about Japanese games, are pronounced badly every day. Like 'Ryu' being a two syllable name.
It's only ever pronounced in the game as ee-ko. You can generally pronounce some written words in a number of ways but you get pronunciation from hearing them.

esliang

Nov 18, 2009
This actually sounds like an interesting game. And the silhouettes were certainly interesting in their own way.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Usually there's a bit of ambiguity as to whether Yahtzee genuinely hates the game or if he's just exaggerating the case for comedic effect. In this case, it's pretty clear the game is awful in all its parts.

lozfoe444

Aug 26, 2009
I'd say Zelda is the Ur-example of the "small boy in dark world" thing, but A Shadow's Tale isn't like Zelda, so I can understand you using Ico instead.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
"Don't crowd in all at once, guys." Well, Wii 2D platformers have instead crowded in over a few years. Even the 3D ones fall into 2D. It's not like the other consoles have their fair share of these.

Also, you mentioned King Graham... a character seen in a certain Minecraft painting, no less.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
And for the third or fourth video in a row now, Yahtzee has taken a gratuitous and unfunny stab at America for no reason. I'm all for a good America joke now and then, but he's just starting to repeat himself now, it's not even funny.

America isn't the only country to change titles of things. And if he doesn't wanna play any of these games coming out right now, why doesn't he just pull an SH2 or Painkiller or Shadow of the Colossus.

Oh well, instead of something interesting, I guess we can just look forward to the Dead Space 2 review.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize I'd basically already said this :p when I tried to post earlier my net died when I clicked post, so I didn't know I'd already said basically this same thing lol

bpk428

Jan 23, 2011
dex-dex said:
Um, I thought that she used Sorcerer's Stone purely for the alliteration. Could be wrong.

Aeon_COR

Mar 1, 2010
I hope your not insinuating that ICO is bad, because I loved it.
Mind you I did play the PAL version with harder combat, harder puzzles, better AI, better lighting, Easter eggs and secret weapons (also apparently the US version does not have Yordas and Queens dialog translated, but I can't confirm)

Lynorran

Aug 26, 2010
Technically the original Japanese title translates to Tower of Shadow. So, it seems everyone wants to be different.