Zero Punctuation: Aliens: Colonial Marines

stueymon

Aug 29, 2009
The best glitch is when I saw a Mammoth casually floating over a Hagravens house!

They don't even have those in Aliens! crazy!

Serious note: Aliens Vs Predator 2 is the best Alien themed game I've played. what about you?

aeric90

Mar 31, 2010
I don't care about the Hicks spoiler but I went ahead and read the plot summary to figure out how that happens and it's quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
aeric90 said:
I don't care about the Hicks spoiler but I went ahead and read the plot summary to figure out how that happens and it's quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
"It was just some other guy."

Couldn't be bothered to even try.

JudgeGame

Jan 2, 2013
I was beginning to suspect the backlash against A:CM was disproportionate. Apparently I was wrong.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm not sure you can "spoil" something that was rotten when it was put on the shelf, so to speak...

Anyway, thanks for another entertaining review, Yahtzee; the image of the marines outnumbering the aliens was a particularly enjoyable one.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
My favorite glitch was when my primary weapon turned invisible, the ammo counter turned to 999 > 0 (But could not be fired), and could not be swapped out. Deleting the save and making a new one didn't fix it. Reinstalling the game didn't fix it.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
My favorite glitch was when I looked at the back of the box that my brother bought and I saw Bethesda included in the names of developers that made this game.

That and the marines who occasionally walked on their heads. (that is to say, they were upside down)

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
That glitch Yahtzee mentioned where the big xenomorph kept killing the same soldier over and over again? I think I know exactly what he's talking about.

<youtube=xc4ArT8FMIc>

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
When Yahtzee let slip that he was doing this one in his column, I was concerned it was going to be too easy. Everyone has been down on this game, so for Yahtzee to do it would be like picking on a retarded kid or shoot fish in a barrel or shooting retarded fish on a barrel. This was alleviated when he acknowledge as much.

Personally, I don't know why anyone was at all interested in playing this game. The demo aside, when was the last thing that was worth damn with the Alien brand slapped upon it came out?

I'll tell you, it was 1986 when Aliens first came out. Nothing else since has been worth a damn and a half, and this included the special edition director's cuts of the first two film. Fuck you, James Cameron. The movie worked better without Ripley having a dead daughter.

Expecting anything good to come out of it at this point is just dumb. Even that demo that Jim Sterling walked us through a few weeks ago. What did that show? It was just Aliens again. So it was just aping a quarter-century old movie that is older than a lot of you spods. Why play the game when you could just watch the movie? Even if the game was good, it wasn't going to be more than that.

I tell you, I am shocked by the dogged attachment to brand recognition that the current market hold onto white-knuckled. But I am depressed at how right it is for developers and publishers to do it. I actually watched the review of the new Tomb Raider based on brand recognition alone and I never played the original games. Seriously. It's just sad when even someone like me who points out this failing in others also has that same failing. Human nature is shit, apparently.

Flatron W2241S

Nov 13, 2012
aeric90 said:
Serious note: Aliens Vs Predator 2 is the best Alien themed game I've played. what about you?
Aliens Vs Predator 1 is my favorite in this category. Playing as a marine was especially entertaining, the aliens were fragile but you're dead if they reach you so you had to be on your toes and spray those alien bastards as quickly as possible. Playing as an alien was also fun, you had to sneak up on your enemies or you'd be dead. Nice use of lighting also, if you blasted grenades like a dumb-ass, the lights would break and you'd have to fight in the dark. As an alien you could smash the lights to create cover for yourself so you could chow down on some marine head.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
the antithesis said:
Personally, I don't know why anyone was at all interested in playing this game. The demo aside, when was the last thing that was worth damn with the Alien brand slapped upon it came out?
That's just it, though, it was ALL about the demo. The demo showed people an Aliens game that actually looked like it could be good, that it captured the spirit and feel that made the movie good. The demo was both the game's source of hype and the cause of the game's utter failure when the delivered product didn't even come close.

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009
1. I hope this crushes Gearbox, they have no integrity.
2. I hope this ends people preordering games, it just encourages assholes like Gearbox to make cash grab games.
3. I hope Yahtzee starts to review good games, constantly reviewing bad games is cute and funny but its like shooting fish in a barrel.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I certainly agree about the glitch part and also the part about the boss battle. This game is not only glitchy, it's also extremely unpolished.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
serious biscuit said:
All I took away from this is that we need a Blues Brothers game.
Well... we already have. For the SNES. Haven't played it myself, but a little bird whispered in my ear that it is quite bad.

Anyway, really good review, I thought. I haven't played Aliens: Colonial Marines myself (not a fan of Aliens, sorry), and this review further cemented my adamant resolution to not go within 20 yards from this game if I can avoid it.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Bindal said:
Thank you for the MASSIVE Spoiler-warning in the middle of the review about Hicks. Oh, wait. THERE WAS NONE!
You are welcome.
Unless you actually paid for this thing, in which case... You had it coming.