Zero Punctuation: Aliens vs Predator

blinkgun96

Dec 15, 2008
*nods head in furious agreement* I will, however, say that AVP is my guilty pleasure I really enjoyed most of it, and find it quite fun. Also Rebellion has a history of not making many good games with the original AVP they made being their only good game.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The biggest problem with this game is that the average budget and length of current FPS's really don't allow for this kind of game to really work. If this kind of game is work, first they have to make the gameplay equal in length, second it must be fun for all three species, and finally that have a well written story that seamlessly connects them together.

10 hours is not a number that really breaks down into three evenly, so at least somebody had to get the short stick. What is worse is that they thought they must give off two short sticks and gave them to the title characters. It also means that each campaign is as brief as Halo ODST.

The Marines having the longest campaign and having the worst is a real problem. It is just in the dark run in gun gameplay like from Doom 3. However, at least Doom 3 had many creatures to fight, the human part only has one, the Aliens (the dark crawler of vents alien). This not only sounds frustrating and repetative, the fact that Aliens rarely pop out for most of it makes it really boring. The developers promised interesting and new alien species which turned out to be a big fat lie. The Alien campaign, while having more juicy humans, has some major problems trying to move in for the kill with Mario Galaxy like movement with Mirror's Edge persective. The Predator's can be fun, but has a very wonky close combat system. Being that the Predator is all about close combat, this can really frustrate.

The story less seamlessly ties together the plot thread together then a glues them to each other at random points, leaving many holes. Rarely do the events of any one story actually feel they impact the events of the other two. As Yahzee said, the Predator's rarely appear in any missions but there own. The whole "its a Predator temple" feels like a shoe in for the Predator's into the story. Given the fact there are many, many, many more references to the Alien series then the Predator series, one can easily see where the developers fanboyism lie.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Favorite part of this one:

"Dear Diary,
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

That said, this review seemed more serious than most. I didn't laugh as much, but I think I respected Yahtzee more for giving it to us straight.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I actually laughed out loud not on one, but on two parts - the "not stupid and evil enough" part and "constant shifting of orientation" part. Which means that Yahtzee is steadily climbing back from funny to completely hilarous again.

Dan Shive

Jun 9, 2008
I would say "multiplayer excuses it" is like a note to get out of gym, but gym is usually a multiplayer experience.

axle 19

Bearer of the Necronomicon
Aug 2, 2008
Expected but still absolutely hilarious to watch. Seriously AVP is just copy paste of the previous one with slightly better graphics.

Craby

Feb 26, 2010
Who gives a shit about AvP? It's just slightly better than average video game, everyone will forget it in few months.
Go go Heavy Rain, I really want to hear Yatzee's opinion.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
I suppose Xenomorph vs. Yautja would be too esoteric...

Also, I have to agree about the "Alias vs. Editor" thing. Masterful bit of wordplay there.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
The way the Preditor-bride wears the marine on his head at the end is so cute.
I enjoyed the review, but that little bit especially tickled me.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah, the awkward fat kid that your parents made you play with perfectly describes the space marine. WHO THE HELL WANTS TO BE THE MARINE?

And ha. Alias vs. Editor.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
That was great, one of his best ones from late, had coke (cola to clarify) dribbling from my nose with the bread comment.