Zero Punctuation: Alone in the Dark

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Best review in a long time, I think. Very funny and damn spot on. There were a bunch of memorable moments with Terry'n'Gonad, the dog for dinner, CockUp Peninsula, etc. I really enjoyed this one.

RE:Intro music
I'm still not used to it, but it's not very long etc so I can deal. I'll miss the hilarious music choices though. Also, was that two ads at the end of the vid? Lame.

EDIT: When I said intro I meant the music. The spinny graphics and all are pretty decent. I can't help but fell that with some of the "fair use" music would have been better than the RAWKIN GEE-TAR though.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
The music is growing on me but can you not make it quite so loud?

EDIT: I also think the opening sequence is pretentious. No problem with the music but don't like the intro.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
I don't see how he can say 'i'm going to join other reviewers in saying this game is crap' then say 'actually its ok, made better if it was polished'

Get a grip. Did someone replace the captain of the Yahtzee brainship for a week?

tedderz123

Jun 18, 2008
no afrophysics. HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN GOOD! NO RETURN TO FORM! and he voice is the same you dimlow!!! good review sir yahtzee, STILL!!! on form.

Ryoshiun

Apr 2, 2008
On the mark as always. Good show, although I'm pained to see that Alone in the Dark isn't as good as it looked. Oh well, still going to buy it anyway, but you can say "I told you so" when shit hit's the fan.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Wait a second...so he goes to other reviews and then tries hard to write the opposite?

Well if that's the case Alone in the Dark must have been HORRIBLE.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Nice, very funny! Yahtzee is like my bread and butter. He has convinced me that I should figure out some way to play Alone in the Dark just to see the fire physics.

Lord_Seth

Jun 19, 2008
windfish said:
It's not to make more money - it's to avoid breaking two copyrights every Wednesday. And plus, the new music is perfectly fine. There is probably a way to still use the old songs and not break copyrights, but it probably involves a lot of paperwork, which is in a way MORE professional and boring. So this way we stay legal, we get some kickin' metal intro every week, and Zero Punctuation doesn't get shut down by Michael Jackson or whoever the hell owns all of the Classic Rock recordings these days.
I don't know...even if it's copyrighted, does just using like 5-10 seconds of it really count as infringement? I would think it falls under Fair Use...

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Ryoshiun said:
On the mark as always. Good show, although I'm pained to see that Alone in the Dark isn't as good as it looked. Oh well, still going to buy it anyway, but you can say "I told you so" when shit hit's the fan.
No, rent it, you'll regret paying for that.

Mephistopholis

Jul 17, 2008
EXCELLENT!! Keep it up. I love watching your reviews :)
One thing though: please could bring back the old style review videos with different snippets of music at the beginning and the end?

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
Lord_Seth said:
windfish said:
It's not to make more money - it's to avoid breaking two copyrights every Wednesday. And plus, the new music is perfectly fine. There is probably a way to still use the old songs and not break copyrights, but it probably involves a lot of paperwork, which is in a way MORE professional and boring. So this way we stay legal, we get some kickin' metal intro every week, and Zero Punctuation doesn't get shut down by Michael Jackson or whoever the hell owns all of the Classic Rock recordings these days.
I don't know...even if it's copyrighted, does just using like 5-10 seconds of it really count as infringement? I would think it falls under Fair Use...
Indeed, if anything its a free advertisement for the band.

MpSai

Jun 25, 2008
nightfish said:
I don't see how he can say 'i'm going to join other reviewers in saying this game is crap' then say 'actually its ok, made better if it was polished'
That's actually the weirdest thing about the game, it's easy to see where it could have been really good but it's all just really really bad.

Dragon_Nexus

Jul 17, 2008
As awesome as the new music is, I'm not completely convinced it suits the style.
But then again, I hang bang to it every time, so who gives a crap?

This is definitely one of the funniest reviews, and I can only hope Terry and Gonad make a return in the future.

Maozilla

Jul 17, 2008
Physics joke inside of the video seems AWFULLY similar to this comic.

http://digitalunrestcomic.com/index.php?date=2008-05-05

lolwut

Evan Waters

Dec 12, 2007
Lord_Seth said:
I think there's a portion you can quote without owing anything, but probably shorter than what Yahtzee uses. And "Fair Use" would probably only apply if he were reviewing or discussing the music.

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
Good ideas and crappy execution still equals crappy game. Yes, new ideas should be encouraged instead of just having the EA model (same game with another box) but the fact Atari threatened game magazines here for their not-so-pleasant reviews kind off kicks the last bit of good will out of the windows.[/quote]

They actually threatened this site?

Wow... Atari scares me...aw well I still love you Konami and Koei!

Esta

Jan 2, 2008
Excellent review mate, yes, excellent. The past two or three reviews I didn't find to humorous or worth my time, honestly. This review, was fan-fucking-tastic. I played through alone in the dark, for the PC for that matter, and can agree on mostly everything you said.

I really liked the bit about the two developers cocking things up with the damage system. I literally laughed my pants off, great work.

PrivateSandbag

Jul 17, 2008
as an adult and someone that really enjoys it usually, i gotta say the music used to be one of the highlights. the new music is shit. seriously shit. it just makes the whole thing see like it takes itself way too seriously. bring back the old music for the love of [whatever you believe in].

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
Great review.

I really enjoyed the solid criticism.

I really don't understand how people could seriously have any disapointments with this game
ALL the Alone in the Dark games have been mediocre; at beast.

Based on GameRankings:
Alone in the Dark 90%
Alone in the Dark 2 70%
Alone in the Dark 3 70%
Alone in the Dark: TNN69%
Alone in the Dark 200854%

The Alone in the Dark series have always been mediocre.
Awful controls, truly God-awful controls ruin the game, bad design choices and adding the fact that they're just not adding anything new or exciting to the horror-game franchaise just sums up the whole point of Alone in the Dark.

Oh and also the new music rocks. :)