Zero Punctuation: Alone in the Dark

Cybergangster

Oct 18, 2007
I was split over weather to buy this or not. It certainly sounds like more than your run of the mill game and I was hoping the devs ambitious style would help me overcome the fact that it's broken. Once again, Yahtzee has shown me the truth and saved my pocket money for another day!

Nitro 288

Jun 5, 2008
sinnombre said:
First let me just say that I really like zero punctuation. Yahtzee is incredibly entertaining, and aside from his disdain for western rpgs I find myself agree with him on almost every review. That being said, I do find the inconsistencies that at starting to crop up bothersome. For example, in this review he complains about the inventory being too small. However, in an earlier review (I believe it was the Drakes Island whatever one) he objected to the fact that the main character seemed to have a jacket that could hold "8 plasma TVs" (I think that was the phrase Yahtzee used). Also, in the bioshock review he talked about how unrealistic it was that everything froze and patiently waited for you to finish hacking, and how that detracted from gameplay, but here Yahtzee says its bad that the game doesn't pause when you make equipment. I'm not one of those guys who notes every consistency error in a movie, but it strikes me that a reviewer ought to have a static notion of what makes a game good.

Also, the new into is fine, but please go back to using music that fits the game (or your review).
I completely agree. In this case though, the way the game pulls of the stuff, it end ups being frustrating and cheap.

I mean, he want to be immersed into the game, but not have the immersion contribute to frustration. At least, that's the impression i get from him.

DerGermanGuy

Jul 10, 2008
I suddenly had an idea...
Terry: Hey isn't the Intro awesome with this funny Music in the beginning.
Gonad: Yeah, lets make an epic opening with guitars an stuff...

No real, I like this new opening.

Obbi

May 7, 2008
Has the music grown on me yet, you ask?!

No! It hasn't, give it time, I'm sure I'll tolerate it soon!

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
I have to say the I wasn't keen on the last review, but this one was a return to form. Funny and mixed with valid points. Top marks to Yahtzee.
And was the end sequence edited by Yahtzee or somebody who sent it in? Whatever, it was the funniest 15 seconds ever.

injaku

Jul 16, 2008
While over all the review was the fun sarcastic rant I have come to expect from Yatzhee, it was preceded by seconds of pointless intro I will never get back. It is not as if I don't know whose producing the witty diatribe, its right there at the top of the page. It exists in the small window where it is long enough to annoy, but not long enough to make an attempt to skip over it worth while. Think of the children! Go straight for the bile.

injaku

Neo Kojiro

Mar 19, 2008
I feel the need to pop in and say that i still don't like the intro, outro, or music for either. And, since my opinion matters to all parties involved, i can only assume there will be some kind of positive change enacted by the time the next Zero Punctuation comes out.

Or i'll get shivved in the bollocks by a hired goon. It feels like a 50/50 chance on this one.

Mauller

Apr 28, 2008
Awwesome review yet again. Though I do have to admit that I prefered the reviews with the old intro with various music each time and no trailers for games at the end. That's usually when I move on past the video.

trentonx

Mar 1, 2007
good review, it's really sad when a game with lots of potential gets fucked by the boss who doesn't know what he's doing and if you don't listen to him you get fired :/

also what's with all the eve ads! eve trailer after the movie, eve banners, eve-online background?!?!?! get it over with and review the game/1 shouldn't be too hard to point out all the horrible thing about it and then balance it out with all the things it does great.

personaly I play and enjoy eve but it has lots of things that can drive normal gamers nuts :p

Rjak

Oct 18, 2007
I like the way Yahtzee pronounces inventory.

He says "inventory", whereas I say "inventory".

It's neat-o.

windfish

Feb 13, 2008
I personally never had a problem with the music, and in fact rather like it. Ian Dorsch did a fine job, and it stands to reason that when one gets as big and noticeable as Yahtzee has in past days, it becomes inconvenient to be violating two copyrights every Wednesday. So if anybody has been giving either Yahtzee or Ian grief for it, they need to get over themselves.

In any case, very enjoyable review, as always. Always makes Wednesday a good day.

Valkir

May 7, 2008
Its sad that they had decided to make the boobilas stupid. Boobilas can be smart.

DanRSL

May 14, 2008
good review, its a shame that those good ideas weren't utilized better in the gameplay.

Okay, about the music, though. The music itself is fine, I get that its better to not rely on potential copyright infringes and establish your own recognizable tune and what not, so no complaints there. But does it have to be so fucking LOUD?! I mean jesus, I just finish hearing your last run on sentence where you end on a quiet note, get a second of silence and then .... "FUCK YEEEEEAAAAAA!!!! GUITARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!"

The audio balance could certainly use a generous tweak. For as loud as I need to set the volume to hear you speak, the assault on my ears from the theme is just too much.

So again, music fine - volume way high. Hope you take this into consideration.