Zero Punctuation: Alpha Protocol

UMNiK

Feb 10, 2010
Story StoryStoryStory
Thats what the RPGs are for, remember? ROLE-FUCKING-PLAYING before GAME?!

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
What could he possibly have against Kevin Conroy? He's BATMAN! Anyway, I wasn't expecting a positive review. This makes me wonder if he doesn't just do the opposite of every other reviewer when it comes to a specific game.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
That boss Yahtzee complains about could be much easier if
If you do some parts in Taipei before then you could have the option to poison the boss's cocaine which makes the fight a bit easier.
Also, I hated the lockpicking game, liked the other two mini games, but learned you can easily have enough EMPs to deal with mini games in levels if they are personally annoying. Also, I feel that in my first playthrough, the choices I made weren't really being an asshole at all... The second play through, an entirety different story though. Besides, that agree with pretty much the rest of the review.

cavalerie

Jan 11, 2010
I was expecting a lot more bile for this game.
It's good to see that Yahtzee isn't a pillock like the rest of the reviewers, that said this game was shit because it wasn't ME2 (which it wasn't supposed to be anyway).

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
This is an OK game, I know the plot isn't the best and this game if far from a GOTY between all 2010 releases, but it sure gave a lot of fun, and who can complain of re-playability?
I'm glad he didn't ripped it off as much as other titles, this game deserves some credit, cheesyness and all.
I'm on my second gameplay trying to make a genocide path, it's harder than it sounds... on hard.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
I just have to point out that the game would have been much better if the three JBs really were what you had listed at the end: Jack Bauer, James Bond and John Barrowman.

Screw Jason Bourne, I want to be able to play as Intense Interrogator (Jack Bauer), Screws Any Lady (James Bond) and Screws Anything with a Hole (John Barrowman). If you go this path, you can beat the game by hitting on David Tennant. Best game ever.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
Why would he care about Mario Galaxy being delayed? I thought like all real gamers he hated Wii

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Sinclose said:
Why the hell was Kevin Conroy, the voice of Batman in the DCAU in the spectrum of 'dicks and assholes'?

Other than that, was a great video. Keep up the good work Yahtzee, and good luck with your book! ^_^
Because Yahtzee considers Batman to be an asshole. He was simply putting in Kevin Conroy to make it more interesting. Am I the only one who got that?

Doomsday11

Apr 15, 2010
bojac6 said:
I just have to point out that the game would have been much better if the three JBs really were what you had listed at the end: Jack Bauer, James Bond and John Barrowman.

Screw Jason Bourne, I want to be able to play as Intense Interrogator (Jack Bauer), Screws Any Lady (James Bond) and Screws Anything with a Hole (John Barrowman). If you go this path, you can beat the game by hitting on David Tennant. Best game ever.
Please make this game I would walk over an army of evil to play this game.

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
Seriously. For Yahtzee, this is a very positive review.

If he didn't like the game, he would focus on its weak points - AI, animations, graphics. Let's face it - AI and animations are really fucked up. Hell, he could've obliterated the game if he wanted. That's what he does the best.
He didn't mention any of these points AT ALL and focused on everything associated with the dialogue system - game's strongest point.

Yep. He liked AP.

Virtual_Dom

Jul 3, 2009
One of my favourites this year, alohtough he seemed a bit more positive than earlier reviews.

Also glad to see he thought not starting out with expert gun skill was a good thing.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
That explains so much, and similarly saves me time looking up the Australian release of SMG2, to answer the question of why everyone's favorite irked critic in a hat has yet to touch it. Though it is nice to hear that there is now a game that has respectable consequence-following action.

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
Yossarian1507 said:
As a leader of the Cult of Alpha Protocol Fans, I thank you Yahtzee for making more favorable review than usually.

Maybe now someone who was shouting 'Shite!' without any real experience with it will shut up, or maybe even try it to see for himself it isn't that bad.
As a follower in the Cult of Alpha Protocol Fans, I bow before you oh worshipfulness. :D

In all seriousness though, I'm really glad that Yahtzee gave a fair review for this game and sounded like he actually liked it. Like you I'm so sick of people screaming "It's SHIT!" and then going on about how all the reviews of this game were bad (they weren't, the PC version got a high of 86 from one and more than a few 80s) especially since a lot of them haven't played the game.

Yay for Yahtzee! Even though apparently video killed his radio star.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Yossarian1507 said:
But if by some chance (actually pretty decent, contrary to what the most reviews are saying) you'll like it, then maybe you'll finally see it's not good to throw a poo at a game when you didn't even play it and just saw an opinion of couple of reviewers who were expecting Mass Effect 2 and didn't get it (because it isn't Mass Effect 2 in modern world. The ONLY similarity is them both being a third person game using guns and cover system).
I've played AP through 6 times and really enjoyed it.

I think you're right in that more than a few reviewers went into the game expecting it to be like other games based on the Gears iteration of the Unreal engine (namely MA and MA2)... but trying to play AP in the same style is asking for the game to give you a slap.

My only real complaint is how fucking short the game is for a RPG.

swenson

Sep 5, 2009
SuperMse said:
Sinclose said:
Why the hell was Kevin Conroy, the voice of Batman in the DCAU in the spectrum of 'dicks and assholes'?

Other than that, was a great video. Keep up the good work Yahtzee, and good luck with your book! ^_^
Because Yahtzee considers Batman to be an asshole. He was simply putting in Kevin Conroy to make it more interesting. Am I the only one who got that?
That's what I was thinking, actually... either that or just to see if all the fanboys/girls caught it. I do love Kevin Conroy, though. I think I've been in love with his voice from the first episode of B:TAS I ever heard...

Byr0m

Jun 7, 2010
Mukil said:
wow he didn't rip on it as much as every other reviewer. I felt he thot it was an ok game, even tho he said it was poor
Same. He actually told me about the game in the first place, and then actually made me want to buy it. Should I or not? Could do with a new game really.