Zero Punctuation: Alpha Protocol

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
Re-installing Deus Ex right now... Its a shame really , i just bet this game tried to bring decent rpg gameplay to an era dominated by mediocre shooters. Vampire the masquerade bloodlines had an incredible atmosphere. Suddenly I fell old and out of place, like a swordsman amidst gun fanatics. Could someone tell me honestly if the game is worth playing?

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Btw if some of you didn't get it, he liked this game. Comparing something to Deus Ex and criticizing them is like saying something your wife painted is "A lot like Monet, but worse"

UMNiK

Feb 10, 2010
ilion said:
Re-installing Deus Ex right now... Its a shame really , i just bet this game tried to bring decent rpg gameplay to an era dominated by mediocre shooters. Vampire the masquerade bloodlines had an incredible atmosphere. Suddenly I fell old and out of place, like a swordsman amidst gun fanatics. Could someone tell me honestly if the game is worth playing?
Yes.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
McMarbles said:
I don't really wanna go through eight pages looking for answers, so... who the heck is John Barrowman? Is he some obscure Australian thing a stupid, narrow-minded American wouldn't know about?
Link [http://lmgtfy.com/?q=John+Barrowman]
He played Captain jack in the Doctor Who spin-off "Torchwood", a very sexually active spy who killed aliens.

EDIT: It's an English show, with a little popularity in America, so it's not unreasonable that you wouldn't know him.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
There's little skill involved playing AP. It's completely unrealistic (although I can't remember anyone claiming it would be) and the bug levels are at O, for Obsidian. But it's fun, and that's pretty much what I want out of my video games :)

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
ilion said:
If you enjoyed Vampire, then most definitely yes. You will enjoy this. Yahtzee was right about a few things though he really didn't get the story right. And he barely touched the level of effect your actions can have on the storyline.

I really believe that games for the next ten years are going to be trying to emulate the level of choice in this game.

darmey

Sep 10, 2008
What's this about your novel? Wish there was something on the end of this video to enlighten me.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
I'm with Yahtzee...that boss was a jerk!
Interesting review though, I'm also with him in that I don't find the combat THAT horrible, or at least I wouldn't if the game were better balanced.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
stealth and using fists is the most fun thing to do in any game because you have ultimate power as long as you do it right. So your not just running around and saying DON'T LOOK AT ME I'M STEALTHING or shotgunning people with puppies on fire that explode instakilling everyone in the room. hell bio shock had this and it was awesome because they let you sneak and hit people in the back with your led pipe freezing them and if they touch you they die from getting shocked by electricity. man I miss bioshock.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Wow, he actually liked it or am I missing something? The moment I heard of this game (all I heard being "spy RPG" and my love for stealth and RPGs has never before been properly unified), I felt like Anthony Kiedis seeing Rosie for the first time (cookie for getting it, not being a fanboi btw just avoiding the profanity of the quote :p ). So I came around here looking for info.

First I found a thread linking Destructoid and GameSpot or sth reviews, that properly decimated the game. While I took it with a grain of salt considering the reviewers, after visiting Metacritic I saw it wasn't far off the mark and finally Susan Arendt's review of the game came out where she confirmed all the buggy fears I had. So I left my pony bleeding behind the chemical sheds and moved on...

Now I come on ZP for my Wednesday fix, my first thought after seeing AP being "ah damn, at least challenge him in ripping a game apart, everyone else did this one already"... and he gives it a (pretty much) positive review. Well shave my legs and call me grandpa, I'll bite and give it a bloody go. I know the bugs will be there, but if he put more emphasis on what's good about the game than the bugs... to hell with it, it's worth a shot.

PS
Congratulations Yahtzee for finally making me want to express my opinion enough to go through the registration process!

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
You know, I think Yahtzee actually liked this game.
Despite all of it's flaws, it has a lot of potential.

Sneaking around, whacking dudes around the head, I had a lot of fun in this game.

Apophenia Overload

Nov 24, 2009
The fact that Yahtzee may have enjoyed AP shows how far off modern day reviewers are. If the original Deus Ex or V:tM Bloodlines came out tomorrow, the American gaming press would rip them to shreds for subpar graphics (even compared to other games at the time), bad A.I., wonky controls, and bugginess.

Bouse

Jun 17, 2010
Caligulove said:
One of his best in awhile.

Still perplexed that, Kevin Conroy? he's a jerk?
Yeah that came across a little weird to me...

Kevin Conroy constantly does charity work... and is Batman. If he's referencing to how he voices Batman then it's quite understandable. Batman's dickish charm is what makes him so entertaining. Honestly how can he not be cocky when he's the most capable fictional character since Jesus?

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Huh... I agree with Yahtzee about that stupidly cheap melee boss, but playing the PC version I found the hacking system to be clumsy and irritating, more often than not forcing me to take the "blood wallpaper" approach simply because I couldn't get the twitchy thing to work properly first time round... The lockpicking and keypad screwing-with minigames worked fine though.

One utterly arbitrary and assinine aspect that I was hoping Yahtzee would thrash but didn't even mention was the weapon-carrying system, a limit of two despite the fact that the SMGs and Pistol each occupy their own entirely seperate places on Thornton's body than the assualt rifle and shotgun, (which ar the opnly ones to share a zone) meaning that more often than not you'd be mocked with an annoying, pointless empty chest-holster. This isn't provoking stratic planning, this is arbitrarily hamstringing the player in terms of flexibility in-mission, for a reason that the "logic" or "realism" utterly fails to justify.