Zero Punctuation: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I got as far as "maintaining unblinking eye contact" and then I laughed so hard my sinuses fell out of my nose. I should probably get that looked into.

gjkbgt

May 5, 2013
Christ that got heavy
fun time waste in cute little village... this is no mean to life we are all just trapped in the banality of existence.
I've actual always wanted to play a game like this where the futility of existence is a central theme.
I mean in some of the bigger RPG's (after completing the main store) i occasionally wonder what is the point of my characters existence.
then i realise i could equally well ask what is the point of my existence.
Is life just a missive sandbox with no objective markers?
maybe (or yes was my conclusion)
might be nice to see a game tackle this head on.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Yeah I pootled about the GC Animal Crossing for a few hours, went back to it a couple of weeks later to find every resident asking me where I'd been and would I mind weeding the entire town.. and never played that game again. It was a deeply disturbing experience.

Sounded like one of the old reviews at the start but I can't put my finger on why - something about the tone of Yahtzee's voice and speech mannerisms.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
It can still be saved. With a Dwarf Fortress-esque difficulty tweak mod.

The crushing dread of banal existance as a conscious creature trapped in a pointless pocket existance will be gone. Replaced by the sheer joy of being alive, having weathered the relentless undead spongemen attacks as well as the poisonous fog that gives everyone ebola.
Adversity is the best motivation to keep at it that there is, isn't it?

Demonio Penguino

Oct 11, 2009
I've actually payed off my entire house, so the raccoon mob boss is now pretty much out of work, serving only to supply exterior house parts that I either don't want or already have.
Also if your next review isn't Dream Team I will be disappointed.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I remember loving the Gamecube version and playing it almost every day for nearly a year, then I ended up buying the DS version and eventually Wii version but didn't actually get around to playing either too much and sorta forgot about them. I'd go and try them out again but honestly I'm a little scared at what I might find in my wake.

Animal Crossing is really the only game I can think of that makes you feel genuinely guilty for not playing.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I KNEW it! This game is evil. Every time I hear someone talk about how good this game is, I'm wondering how such a banal game could be that good. Now I know...

Thanks for confirming this, Yahtzee.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, there's a reason I don't play this game, or care about dailies in MMOs, and got out of EvE Online as soon as I wasn't depressed and working graveyard shift anymore.

No! Fuck off, game! I'm not doing your daily grind, I don't give a shit what you give me as a reward. I like playing games I can get back to in a week because I have a goddamn life, and a game that tries making me feel bad for NOT playing it can EABOD. If I wanted something that requires daily maintenance from me and is fun, I'd get me another dog. I can go on vacation and board the dog, and the dog isn't pissed and disappointed in me when I come back.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Triaed said:
Oh, so it is like "The Host" by Stephanie May... zzzzzz...zzz
I first thought of how demonic and angelic possession works on Supernatural after hearing Yahtzee's opening.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Your other Animal Crossing Review was far better:
http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/reviews/animalcrossing.htm

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Oh man, that takes me back to when the channel used to play really old tv shows :)
OT: Good review, seems like a pretty shiny Skinner Box.

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
In before someone points out the series existed before the gamecube game over in japan like a hopeless despot?

Probably not.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

Watch Video
The most amusing part is when you describe why you shouldn't play Animal Crossing you are also describing why nobody should live.

Something dark in there.

I like me some Animal Crossing.

PS. For 20K in game (a few seconds of selling) you can make the game do all the upkeep work for you.

Vicioussama said:
Animal Crossing has always and will always be a terrible Skinner Box game that the sheep enjoy.
Someday you will look back on this sentence and realize it sounds like something a person with terrible brain damage would say.

There is almost no case where unironically calling people "sheep" doesn't end up sounding pants on head and glasses on ass stupid.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Vicioussama said:
Animal Crossing has always and will always be a terrible Skinner Box game that the sheep enjoy.
I suppose we should all at least be grateful you didn't use "sheeple".

OT: This review came two and a half weeks too late for me. Damn you, you filthy raccoon, why can't I stop buying house upgrades? And why am I the only one paying for my fountain? It'll benefit everyone!

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Vicioussama said:
Sheep? I love sheep. They're my favorite villagers in the game next to wolfs.

But really, I think some of people's attachment to the franchise has to do with them growing up with it. If you start it when you're older you might find it harder to get into but I got into it when I was like 9. I spent like a year playing it and I bought every game in the series.

Either way, I think the franchise has charm and it's relaxing. The only goals you have are the ones you set yourself and you're not going to get much out of it if you don't set a goal for yourself. Generally my goals for each game are to get a nice house, pay off all the debts and maybe make my town as pretty as possible. New Leaf gives a lot more options for customizing your town and a lot of dream towns I've visited shows just how much more customizable and amazing your towns can get. It's a fairly simple game. I don't play it every day just so my town doesn't go to shit, I continue to play it so I can get closer to my goals, and when I get tired of it all I just quit.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I don't know whether I like this video or not, maybe it's just the game itself not being a particularly interesting subject to talk about.

Loved the joke at the end though :)

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I remember playing Animal Crossing on the Game Cube.
I took a lot of convincing of my parents, because the thought it was a hunting game (because of the name).
I tried naming my town "Earth" but ended up with "EATH."
I tried setting the in game clock correctly, but fucked up on the AM/PM. There was only a small window really earlier in the morning and late at night that little me could successfully play the game (because Tom Nook is the only not nocturnal raccoon in the world).

Good times. I almost found all the fish and dinosaurs.

I thought about going back to good old EATH, but decided it'd be too sad. Like the end of Toy Story 3, minus any kind of resolution.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
McMarbles said:
Vicioussama said:
I suppose we should all at least be grateful you didn't use "sheeple".

OT: This review came two and a half weeks too late for me. Damn you, you filthy raccoon, why can't I stop buying house upgrades? And why am I the only one paying for my fountain? It'll benefit everyone!
You have to get the rooms on the left and right to be able to change the exterior of your house to Castle, Zen Castle, Modern, etc, and they cost the same as one of the late house upgrades (in the range of 400k bells).

I pretty much pay off every public work on my own, usually in the day I start it, but I assume the developers assumed you'd be collecting donations for several weeks and paying it off little by little. Maybe if you didn't want to pay it off all at once you could wait a bit for the donations from villagers to accumulate.

I don't know. It does bother me when I'm the only one to show up for the ceremony in a fucking thunderstorm for the public works project I paid off all on my own. I hate my villagers.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Yahtzee, you're starting to slip up man.

The game is called Animal Crossing and you didn't put in a reference to The Island Of Doctor Moreau?
Seriously?