Zero Punctuation: Army of Two

CodeChrono

Mar 29, 2008
I was kind of dissapointed in this review. It was shorter than usual, and I wanted some more humor. IT wasn't bad, I've just seen a LOT better work done (like the Guitar Hero review).

Oh, and on all the drama regarding political correctness, I still to this day think it's futile to argue it. Everybody gets offended by something, and if we tiptoe around the glass all the time, you'll eventually step on some. What I don't understand is why it is ok to make humor directed at some group of people, yet is terrible to make fun of some.

What I respect about Yahtzee as a person is this: He doesn't try to make all of the people happy all of the time, which is what way too many people are trying to do these days.

Blah... I ranted, and now looked like both a Yahtzee fanboy and an idiot for arguing on the internet. Le BLah. X_X

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Conqueso said:
Uszi said:
Second, I don't find it to be a hypocrisy at all, since the gay jokes were of the form, "These two gentlemen seem on first impression to be gay lovers," and NOT of the form, "These guys are stupid and therefore gay." It is politically correct to watch two guys make-out on a bench, then turn to your friend and say, "That is really gay." It is NOT politically correct to see someone dance a jig, and tell that person, "You're dance was gay."
This is a pretty weak argument, because if it were really a matter of neutrally observing, you wouldn't really call them jokes. If "these two gentlemen seem on first impression to be gay lovers" is supposed to be a punchline, that implies there's something inherently funny about being gay. Horribly offensive? Hardly. But it's a far cry from "politically correct," either.

That said, Yahtzee clearly isn't a homophobe, and these jokes are funny mainly because the game developers (I assume, not having played the game) were aiming to make the main characters as butch as possible, yet inadvertently wrote homoerotic subtext into it. 'Scool by me.

Furthermore, giggling over unintended gay subtext and objecting to deliberately shooting Arabs doesn't seem that hypocritical at all to me. They're on different levels altogether.
Heh. I don't think I meant for my post to be read like that... I think I switched from the subject of 'gay' in the context of jokes to the subject of 'gay' in the context of all speech, but didn't give any indication of what I meant to say.
Interesting read into it. I'll word things more carefully. ^.^

But otherwise I think I agree with precisely every one of your points.

Especially the irony in making Manly-men characters inadvertently gay. I think the humor of the joke lies wholly in the irony of the situation, rather than in the homosexuality of it. We laugh at the developers, perhaps the characters, but not the gay community.

Nanvk

Apr 3, 2008
You have to watch it like 5 times to get in all the jokes because you are laughing your ass off from the first couple

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I think all this discussion about sexism is just what Yahtzee wants. He wants to cause controversy, cause its likely to make him more well known. I doubt he would believe it himself, though.
I somehow doubt that Yahtzee is doing anything more than getting in a little extra eye-rolling practice over this thread, if in fact he has taken any notice of it at all. Personally, I think he's starting to get a little nervous about the nature of his fanbase. (Poor DreamerM, he mentioned her again, this time in a podcast! DreamerM, you took his Creepy Fan virginity. There will be more, but you will always be the first. You should be proud.)

This thread will serve to assure him that we are easily distracted, so that if he gets cornered again, he can ask something like, "So, what's your opinion on the acceptability of homophobia vs. racism?" and then bolt as we start to kerfuffle.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
It is the nature of all things internet to degrade into mindless squabbling.

Feb 28, 2008
'..Tries to cut down on the gay jokes' Why would you want to do that?#!
This was an especially good one, love how you smash right through the world of political correctness, or let the game do it for you...

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
mshcherbatskaya said:
This thread will serve to assure him that we are easily distracted, so that if he gets cornered again, he can ask something like, "So, what's your opinion on the acceptability of homophobia vs. racism?" and then bolt as we start to kerfuffle.
"If he gets cornered again"? Am I missing something? Did he get cornered?
Also, I agree wholeheartedly with the eye-rolling bit. These topics tend to spin off based on their own momentum in a direction only tangentially related to the topic at hand. That said, could you imagine where the boards would have gone if Army of Two had kept the proposed "stuff the tampon in the bullet wound" mechanic? Not a pretty thought...

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Perhaps if we all suggest via email (all meaning all, like all of Escapist) that he import the Ps3 version of Rock Band and then review it, he might actually do it.
ummmmmm dude. he might. or he will just mention it and tell us to go F^&k ourselves which i feel is more likely. any way onto the sexy violence

YAHTZEE RULES one of my favourites yet

the best bit is about teh halloween and your giving out the candy and the candy is bullets!

i laughed my appendix out

Voodoo Child

Dec 13, 2007
NO! BAD YAHTZEE. No wait, good Yahtzee! A+. 10/10 etc.

Indigo_Dingo said:
Perhaps if we all suggest via email (all meaning all, like all of Escapist) that he import the Ps3 version of Rock Band and then review it, he might actually do it.
Or better yet, spend that time emailing Harmonix instead, and get them off their bloody arses so all of us down here can get it. Hell, it's more likely to happen then your idea.

Voodoo Child

Dec 13, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Voodoo Child said:

Indigo_Dingo said:
Or better yet, spend that time emailing Harmonix instead, and get them off their bloody arses so all of us down here can get it. Hell, it's more likely to happen then your idea.
As Harmonix isn't actually the distributing company down here, its not really something they can fix. Its not down to Harmonix restricting it from us just to make their balls feel big, its Australian and European importers refusing to actually do any bloody thing until the price goes down, and then charging us double. Pricks.
That I can seriously believe. I mean, the whole "Release Gap" thing is something that has always bothered me, but when it has no release date SIX MONTHS on from the American release, something is just plain wrong.

And then we get in trouble when we import to get it by a decent date at a reasonable price. Man we are such bastards.

Voodoo Child

Dec 13, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Voodoo Child said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Voodoo Child said:

Indigo_Dingo said:
As Harmonix isn't actually the distributing company down here, its not really something they can fix. Its not down to Harmonix restricting it from us just to make their balls feel big, its Australian and European importers refusing to actually do any bloody thing until the price goes down, and then charging us double. Pricks.
That I can seriously believe. I mean, the whole "Release Gap" thing is something that has always bothered me, but when it has no release date SIX MONTHS on from the American release, something is just plain wrong.

And then we get in trouble when we import to get it by a decent date at a reasonable price. Man we are such bastards.
Whats with this system they use for deciding which title is imported as soon as it is in America, and which is not? I mean, we get a piece of Crap like Guitar Hero III almost instantly (about a month off) and we wait half a fucking year for Rock Band?
If anyone finds out who is responsible for it, I reckon a protest would be fun.