Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed 3

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Yes,stabbing!Stabbing was what AC1 did best of them all.You can counter stab,but you can't block that way,you can chain stab,you can wall jump stab,run stab and the classical walking surprise stab,which I never use because guards are always watching you and then you have to run off.And not to mention you always get that "sharp blade shoved in your flesh" sound,not some mechanical sound of the hidden blade unfolding,like it's a fancy toy.
This is also why AC2 and so on started a trend that put me off: diversions,from a river to an entire OCEAN of diversions,why?Because it's an open world game.I guess they never managed to do anything significant with the whole "open-world" aspect of Assassin's Creed.Littering sidequests like it's an MMO and having to resort to collectibles seems like bad design decisions to me.

EDIT: The only way I'll be swayed to even look at footage of AC3 is if there are at least some good assassinations.

Domogo

Aug 7, 2012
Yahtzee you charismatic stallion you've done it again. way to move past all of the cultural haterage and on to the faffing! (a word i didn't here very much of surprisingly)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Heh...I too automatically assumed it'd be excitingly explaining how evil Britain was.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
So the game should be called Farmville: 1780 instead of Assassins Creed.

I liked the AC series (to the point of dressing up as Altair at conventions) due to the assassinations.

I guess I'll go back to playing Dishonoured.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sounds like pretty much what I expected. Except for Connor being so bland. I expected after people liking Ezio maybe they'd learn a thing or two.

Well, that's why you don't expect much form game devs.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
AssCreed 3: Faff-fall.

OT: Why is money always an issue in these games? Yahtzee mentions it in every review.
Come on Ubisoft >_>

Astro

Feb 15, 2012
Good. I hated this game. And I like the series. Looks like you can lock this one into your bottom five for this year, YZ.

maximalist566

Jan 10, 2012
I feel that AC should have changed name to "Middle Ages economy for retards" somewhere around Brotherhood. Got all games except this on Steam sale - great first, nice second, mediocre Brotherhood and can't make myself finish Revelations. Can't find a reason to buy third also without 90% winter sale =)

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i'm having fun with the game and i feel there is something missing from these videos lately oh i remember what it is humor

C117

Aug 14, 2009
This is why I still consider AC1 the best in the series. Okay, it was a bit basic. Okay, it was a bit tedious to grind all those quests in order to unlock the next piece of story. But in the end, the focus was on what is supposed to BE the focus on a game series about assassins: assassinating people! And trying really, really hard to get away from the guards when your cover is blown, because they actually pose half a threat to you in individual numbers, and will most likely pound you into meatloaf if you decide to fight against three or more at once.

AC2 was also good, but that was mainly because they introduced a new collection of toys and ways to assassinate people. Unfortunately, it was also the game that introduced the limitless amount of gold that the game is way too generous with handing to the player. This wouldn't be so bad, if only there was something that might validate hauling around 100.000+ bucks. But there wasn't really, because everything that was worth buying only costed around 10.000 bucks, and everything else was just various things that increased the amount of money the game would throw your way every half-minute.

And it has, sadly, only been downhill from there...

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
The lack of the word "faff" in this review makes me sad, but I have to agree with Yahtzee when it comes to the direction the series has gone to. Now I'm still gonna get it but the last Assassin's Creed game I played was 2 which I absolutely loved. Now it seems that more of the stabby fun is in multiplayer and that shouldn't be the case in my opinion. Also I hate it when games give you an overabundance of money towards the end. The Fable games towards the end had me owning the entire damn kingdom and still have enough money to buy another one. I literally had to break every window I could to just spend it and even then I still had enough to buy another kingdom! Stop overloading me with money games and give me it in real life instead!

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
Cut to Assassin's Creed 4, where it's some twerp descendant of Desmond reliving Desmond's experiences of reliving other people. You know someone at Ubisoft has brought that up as a possibility. Might rent this one, probably not though. Now I'm going to work on getting that platinum trophy in Okami.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Excellent critique as always! Looks like I made the right choice when I stopped buying these when the third decided it didn't want a number or a new protagonist. Wait, didn't fans vote on this time period?! Oh well, even if AC3 was set in Ancient Egypt they probably would have still found a way to shoe-horn in boat racing down The Nile...

themilo504

May 9, 2010
personally I blame the games stupid call of duty releases schedule you see with every new game the team of multicultural people finds it more and more boring to come up with assassination missions so instead They design more and more side activities leaving less room for the actual assassinations.
thats what i think anyway im probbaly wrong.

Vertigo4321

Jul 30, 2012
You know what I really like in Assassin's Creed 1? Besides the stabbing I mean.
I really liked the philosophy behind it, as well as the characterization of the targets. If you read the Codex in AC2, Altair becomes really deep and though-provoking. The targets both in AC1 and AC2 had some depth to them. Okay maybe the AC2 targets were general assholes, but at least it gave you a look into WHY they were assholes.