Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Opacic said:
And Rush is quite fun, isn't it? :p At least when people are actually working together and defusing the charges. We unfortunately have a little crossover from MW2 players, thinking that KD ratios actually matter in this game.
Yeah Rush is a blast, but I have noticed the K/D ratio tards that play nothing but recon and only sit there and snipe. Yeah, you got 10 kills and 1 death, and I only got 7 kills with 5 deaths. Except that I'm on the top of the leaderboard cause I'm credit to team, gg. =|

That aspect that points are the real leading part I rather like, similar to TF2. Helps encourage teamplay, as most team actions are worth the same as a kill.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Nomanslander said:
What are you talking about?

If anything BS2 had way better gameplay than those two combined...it just sucked on some other levels...=/
That's exactly what I'm talking about. The combat was improved, and some plasmids were fixed, everything else sucked. Story was inferior, with plotholes almost as stupid MW2 had; level design wasn't nearly as good, and the endings were just as awful as the first.

fyrsten

Aug 19, 2009
Moar liek: Sniperfield 2: Carl gustav 8 rockets handgranade 2

This game is a terrible singleplayer and a hillariously unbalanced multiplayer (think dying every 2 secs from a sniper, a carl gustav or a handgranade)

Good thing he didn't like it, or people would have much more argumentational ammo against me when i say it's poor

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
Infernal_Me said:
Single player was cool but the MP was god awful.
Anyone else see the irony of the AD for BFBF2 overlaying the video while watching him rip into it?
Did you play the Console version of BFBC2 MP or something?

DeathsHead419

Mar 24, 2010
HK_01 said:
No mention of multiplayer? Isn't that like, I don't know, the focus of the game?
I know, but I suppose it goes along with his "a game must be able to stand on single player alone" policy, and this game falls flat on its face without multiplayer. I have to agree, the campane in the first game was a lot better. But they had to ruin it to become a "me too" Call of Duty imitator. It's just a shadow of its former self now.

What happened to the Legionnaire? Miss July? Or how about the fact that at the end of the first game
they capture a fortune in gold and go AWOL to live in luxury and never have to go back to war?!
Has Call of Duty's influence penetrated so deeply that all games must try and emulate it? Why does eveyone seem think these "Modern Shooters" are new or resreshing and shun WWII one's, even though the former has been around longer. CoD:MW has ruined B:BC, destoryed MoH, when will the madness end?

ThisWasAWaste

Aug 7, 2009
madbird-valiant said:
I wasn't exactly thrilled with the first game either. What is it with destructable environments anyway? They look pretty but they never really seem to do anything other than clusterfucking the landscape and giving you an option between doorway and hole in the wall. They can bang on about (and I just read about the guy making Body Count bang on about for about three pages) how they alter tactics and strategy and you can't just hide from tanks in inpenetrable buildings anymore, but the fact is that pretty much every player out there is going to treat it almost exactly the same as they would any Call of Duty of Medal of Honor. I thought we were over this shit about the time Black came out.
The multiplayer does actually play pretty heavily off of the destructible buildings, especially rush mode in which you can take out some objectives by bringing down the building they're in. This is one of the few games that I will say the multiplayer single handedly justifies the price tag. The single player is a giant wad of brown paste though, I will agree to that.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Hello, this is me making my obligatory comment that has little to no relevance and almost zero chance of being read and replied to by anybody. Just thought you ought to know.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
I'm not really into war games and modern war games are even worse. When did game developers stop making WW2 games with English speaking nazis with fake accent?

Satine Phoenix

Feb 19, 2010
haha.. I don't like war games, but this review was HILARIOUS!!! He reminds me of a british Micro Machines guy!!

Hunter.Wolf

Jan 13, 2010
CORRODED SIN said:
Yes, but the things they have added to the the Bad Comapany games still borrow a lot from Modern Warfare. Those are two very general points too, especailly the second. It describes any online shooter from the past 6 years: Halo, Ghost Recon, CoD, Rainbow Six, etc. Or any game that has an unlock/ranking system- Battlefield 2 didn't invent them. I'm sure that game borrowed from previous shooters. I'm thinking of little details in the game and things they do.
So did Modern Warfare ... every shooter naturally borrows something from previous SHOOTERS ... it's what they add that matters not what they borrow ... and BattleField:BC2 adds a lot.

--------------------------------------------

Anticitizen_Two said:
I've found the kits in Bad Company 2 to be incredibly ineffective as a system. All of them are quite capable of killing people
lols, of course they are .. what do you expect in a SHOOTER .. every kit MUST enable you to kill enemies ... it would be stupid of a kit forces you to hide or do tasks while being unable to defend yourself or even attack if you need to.

Anticitizen_Two said:
which really detracts from them each having their own specific job. It starts to get a lot closer to simply choosing your primary weapon, which is exactly how the class system in MW2 works.
NO .. they are nothing alike ... you can't fix vehicles with a medic Kit and can't heal fallen allies or revive with an engineer Kit .. etc etc .. every freaking Kit has a distinct and very clear role that no other Kit can replace .. how does taht boil down to selecting your primary weapon !!!?

Anticitizen_Two said:
Also, the fact that you can pick up kits completely ruins the entire system for me.
Oh god .. you completely understood it the other way around .. it adds tons of tactical depth and adaptability that allows you to react to any situation on the fly .. in one situation for example .. i was with a squad-mate who had a Medic kit .. we got in a firefight ... i was an enigneer ... he got killed .. i survived and killed the last of the attackers .... ran over to my squad-mate medic kit .. picked it up .. revived him and switched back to my engineer kit to fact the tank that was approaching our position.

Anticitizen_Two said:
Health regenerates and you very rarely find yourself low on ammo (at least from my experience).
Health takes lots of time to regenerate in BC2 .. it doesn't regenerate instantly .. it does very slowly (play as a medic and watch you squad-mates health bars and you will see that .. i played as a medic a lot and this is a FACT.

As for ammo .. i ran out of ammo numerous times ... the longer you survive and the better you play you will notice that you will run out of ammo faster ... that's why ammo-packs are essential ... but someone who gets killed every five seconds won't notice that (not to mention won't be doing much good to his squad or team)

Anticitizen_Two said:
The core gameplay of the two games is incredibly similar: in both of them one man is able to rack up kill after kill after kill if they're skilled enough. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but there's not enough of a focus on the collective team to truthfully label BC2 as being that much more focused on the collective.
The core gameplay is NOTHING alike ... it isn't about racking kills at all in BC2 ... killing is only a means to achieve your objectives .. and you get rewarded with ranking points for every freaking action you do that supports your team (spotting enemies, completing objectives, healing, reviving, supplying ammo, fixing tanks with squad-mates in them, .... etc etc etc) and tons of other things that has nothing to do with racking up kills.

You simply have been playing BC the WRONG way .. go watch this excellent tips video and you will understand why BC2 is way better than MW2 will ever hope to be ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p4fkH9qC4M

And this for an extra laugh ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMZvqcZ1f0k&feature=related

grimlockfly

Sep 22, 2009
mchoueiri said:
grimlockfly said:
HK_01 said:
No mention of multiplayer? Isn't that like, I don't know, the focus of the game?
seriously, it's a multiplayer game with a tacked on single player mode.
I wouldn't call the single player tacked on. AvP has a tacked on single player. I would say this has a decent one.
Personally, I love everything about Bad Company 2. I was just copping a cynical pose because it's y'know, a comment on a zero punctuation thread. That said, Dice makes multiplayer games, everything beyond that is gravy. That is what we have here. To sum up, with the singularly amazing multiplayer (which yahtzee would still hate), you also get a very fun single player. (that yahtzee hates)

Feb 19, 2010
the part i most agree with is russians r evil. seriously, the russians are just normal people. in games america is a ultr awsome hero team while russian is evil for some unexplained reason

daedrick

Jul 23, 2008
Heh, yahtzee never play the multiplayer mod, no wonder why he hate most of the games. This game is only about multiplayer. He totally missed the point in that review...eeesh.

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
wow.... i bought this on day one and I HAVENT even played the single player mode o_O But I can understand what he means, although i really did only buy this game for the MP experience.

There are going to be buyers who don't though, and will possibly share the same sentiment as he.

LOL thanks for another good review though nonetheless ^_^

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
NAHTZEE said:
the part i most agree with is russians r evil. seriously, the russians are just normal people. in games america is a ultr awsome hero team while russian is evil for some unexplained reason
Of course, they are. So are the arabs and the chinese.
Don't worry, the Russians are always villians just because someone has to be one.