Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Sayvara

Oct 11, 2007
Oh... maybe I should say something about the review itself:

Mildly funny, but far from one of his best works. This is like the MOA:AA review where he was struggling to find something to complain about, and eventually failed (nazi doom towers anyone? :D). "Dust" just doesn't cut it, especially since dust was mostly abscent from the game. The rest is just a bunch of contrived gripes that doesn't even hook on to the game very well.

Mostly I get the impression that he either rushed this review, or that he is trying to get back at the game because it kicked his arse too many times. :D

/S

Silent Eagle

Mar 11, 2010
DICE sucks at single player expieriences. They only made that to make the MP make since as to why the US and RU forces are fighting it out. I didnt buy this game for the SP thrills.

Plus that mortar scene wasnt so hard,a little trial and error was needed (5 deaths).
Still pissed me off though...

Etek

Jun 4, 2009
This guy calls himself a reviewer and only plays the single player part of what is known to be a MULTIPLAYER ONLINE GAME. Epic fail Yahtzee.

Pibe000

Dec 12, 2008
well I liked it, but he didn't really say if he liked it he just went on about the lack of sighting ability. He's already established that he doesn't play online mode, and that might be a good thing. People online are USUALLY jerks (including me).

Pibe000

Dec 12, 2008
It does take a lot from modern warfare it even makes fun of it, But it has a vehicular section and bigger maps and likable characters, so go back to your grenade launching, rpging, snipe camping moron arena that is modern warfare.

Guy Montag

Jan 9, 2010
I would still take this over MW2 any day of the week.

also, seriously, he should stop buying multiplayer games and then insisting on not reviewing the multiplayer.

Pibe000

Dec 12, 2008
yes he should, I still like MW2 but the people who play multilayer can be very stupid/annoying. I would still play the game but I feel inclined to leave whenever I stop having fun, which has never happened to me in bad co.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Bek359 said:
My response to "realistic" (non-stealth) shooters:

1. Games aren't really supposed to be realistic. IT'S WHY YOU'RE PLAYING A GAME.

2. Having incredibly low health in a non-stealth game that is supposedly all about multiplayer just encourages too much cheap tactics and people working their level best to find game breakers, of which there are usually many, becausethedevelopersdon'tcareaboutbalanceImeandoubleshotguns,really-(long, increasingly unhinged tirade)

3. All the brown, utterly soulless levels/maps, I have no interest in. Let's see a shooter where you fight in the jungle or on the coastline (AND NOT D-DAY! THERE ARE ENOUGH WWII SHOOTERS ALREADY!) or somewhere colorful and different, for a change.
There's a couple jungle levels in BC2 actually. Actually at least 1/3 of the single player game takes place in a jungle.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
If he is so hateful to multiplayer then he should stop buying multiplayer games, I know he said that every game SHOULD stand on its own with the single player but that doesn't necessarily mean they WOULD do that.

F8L Fool

Mar 24, 2010
Xanthon said:
While I think Yahtzee's great, I really had to make an account to respond to this one. This review was a big waste for me. I don't have a problem with the fact that Yahtzee refuses to review a game's multiplayer aspect, but then why even bother to review games where the singleplayer is an afterthought and 90% of the playerbase bought it for the multiplayer. Frankly I was surprised this game had any single player at all as the last BF game I played (2142) had no single player campaign at all. The only reason I even played the campaign at all was to get acquainted with the game before throwing myself into multiplayer (not to mention the servers were a mess on opening day). I was so disinterested in a BF singleplayer component that I skipped through every cutscene and I NEVER do that.

Another thing that's annoying me is the "this is just a MW2 ripoff, although I haven't played the multiplayer or even the game itself, so really I have no clue" mentality. If you played the multiplayer at all you'd see how vastly different the game is. If you want to criticize certain aspects of the game, be my guest, but at least be informed about it.
I too made an account after many months of coming to this site, just to reply to this video. I've been watching Zero Punctuation reviews for the past six months. It's nice when he gets things right, because I love it when reviewers actually call games out for their flaws. But it's gotten to the point where he seems to be exaggerating for dramatic effect, or blatantly making things up just to find some stuff to complain about.

I strongly feel that if he's going to review games that are successful because of multiplayer *cough*99.5% of the shooter and fighter genre*cough*, he should play them for just that: the multiplayer. If he's so opposed to it that he can't stomach playing the multiplayer than well, he shouldn't review the game at all, rather than posting an inaccurate review.

Etek said:
This guy calls himself a reviewer and only plays the single player part of what is known to be a MULTIPLAYER ONLINE GAME. Epic fail Yahtzee.
It feels good not being alone in this sentiment.

Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
If he is so hateful to multiplayer then he should stop buying multiplayer games, I know he said that every game SHOULD stand on its own with the single player but that doesn't necessarily mean they WOULD do that.
Bingo. RPG, Adventure, Action is for SP. Shooter, Fighter, Sports is for MP.

darth jacen

Sith Reviewer
Jul 15, 2009
For some reason I feel he was much funnier before and has started to decline in quality, granted the Heavy rain review gave me hope, but I think he may just be spread a little thin with his work with the Mana Bar and this. Or it could just be me...

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
F8L Fool said:
addeB said:
"depth"? A very few multiplayer modes have a story, and with out a story, a game doesn't add depth to the game for me. For me multiplayer is just a little bonus that i can use if i get bored.
See for me I don't purchase a game unless it has stellar multiplayer. The reason being that a game without it just lacks the replayability that I am looking for. The gameplay is what matters most to me in a shooter, sports, and fighter. I play RPG's and Adventure games for story first, and gameplay mechanics second. I play MMO's for gameplay and social aspects, and not the story in any way. I could give a damn what the lore behind a dungeon I'm exploring has, or a boss I'm killing.

If a game doesn't have multiplayer it must have at least 80-100 hours of single player content for me to even think of purchasing it. Because frankly 80-100 hours is nothing compared to the 500+ hours I could easily invest in an amazing shooter.

The reason that shooters sell so well is because of the multiplayer experience, and not the story. It's not a coincidence that MW2 sold so damn well. It's not because it had some unbelievable single player campaign. It's because dozens of millions of people are addicts for the MP, just like they are for Halo, Gears of War, Counter Strike, Unreal, Quake, and all those other shooters that are MULTIPLAYER DRIVEN GAMES.

If the aforementioned games didn't have MP, guaranteed they wouldn't have sold even half as well. Maybe not even a quarter as well.
Good point, but i bought Halo and Gears of war for the story in first hand and the multiplayer for some boring day when i have nothing else to play. If I am going to buy a game it got to have a awesome single player experience. I only play games like Counter strike on LANs when i have got tired of all other games or when every one else is playing (Cause then it can be a hell lot of fun)

bawkbawkboo1

Nov 20, 2008
Battlefront (the first one) had that loading screen thing as well where it zooms in progressively more to the next location. I remember playing that game on the PS2 with friends. Even though it had glitches out the ass it was still decently fun to play. Anyway Modern Warfare 2 was not the source of that.

Etek

Jun 4, 2009
Pibe000 said:
well I liked it, but he didn't really say if he liked it he just went on about the lack of sighting ability. He's already established that he doesn't play online mode, and that might be a good thing. People online are USUALLY jerks (including me).
Guess you don't play on PC. It's the exact opposite, FEW people online are jerks and served with an instant kick the moment they start talking trash.

Wolfinton

Jan 1, 2010
No mention of multiplayer? The main focus of the game?

I mean, they only added singeplayers to the Bad Company series for a shiney ribbon on it. Every other Battlefield game has no single player.

Plus, this has been in production since before MW2 so you really cannot call it is MW2 rip off. All shooters are basically rip offs of each other anyway.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
To all those saying that Yahtzee should of reviewed the multiplayer, he has given the reason that he doesn't many, many, many, MANY, times (he even listed the reasons for you with his MW2 Extra Punctuation). Complaints such as this has not worked when he only reviewed the single-player in MW, MW2, or Halo 3, so why did you think your complaining will change anything now? If a game is suppose to be all about the multiplayer, then why even bother making a single player game?

For sake of argument that the multiplayer of BFBC2 is a grilled cheese and the single player is a pile of cow dung. Would you eat the grilled cheese if the cow present is on the same plate? The grilled cheese in theory would be just as good if it was not touching. But you wouldn't because the smell and sight is just going to make you gag. Serve the Grilled Cheese by it self if you must, or give us another kind of sandwich instead of the cow dung to please people of different tastes, but don't give us a pile of %$#& and let it get away with it.

carelesshx

Jan 7, 2010
seamusotorain said:
Derp de derp herp multiplayer derp. I enjoyed the multiplayer demo, and I'd heard the story was pretty weak. If you want a FPS not made out of a grey and brown colour palette, Duke Nukem just hit the XBL Marketplace, and you can always go and play Serious Sam again.
I guess you didn't notice the jungle maps, or the pacific island maps, or the snowy mountain/forest maps when you played then? BC2 has its fair share of dusty hellholes, but to say the entire game is brown and grey is just plain untrue.

carelesshx

Jan 7, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
For sake of argument that the multiplayer of BFBC2 is a grilled cheese and the single player is a pile of cow dung. Would you eat the grilled cheese if the cow present is on the same plate? The grilled cheese in theory would be just as good if it was not touching. But you wouldn't because the smell and sight is just going to make you gag. Serve the Grilled Cheese by it self if you must, or give us another kind of sandwich instead of the cow dung to please people of different tastes, but don't give us a pile of %$#& and let it get away with it.
Interesting analogy. I'd say that BC2 is probably more like a bacon cheeseburger, with the multiplayer being the cheeseburger and the singleplayer being the bacon. Now, I don't like bacon, but I acknowledge that for most people, bacon is a lovely addition to a perfectly good cheeseburger. I can happily order a bacon cheeseburger without the bacon and still have a satisfying meal, but if I ordered a bacon cheeseburger without the cheeseburger, I would probably feel a bit let down. A couple of slices of bacon on a plate, while nice, does not constitute a meal. It would be foolish to write a review of a restaurant that said 'I ordered a bacon cheeseburger without the cheeseburger and all I got was a slice of bacon, that restaurant was rubbish'.

Or something. You get the idea.