Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Critical92

Oct 12, 2009
Im aware that he aint into the whole multiplayer scene, but this game has a very poor singleplayer, the multiplayer is the main aspect.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
meditator101 said:
Good to see someones finally criticizing this game!
After all the "OMG its so awesome it is better than anything" It has been getting nice to see a new view on it.

And, as usual. Cant disagree with any of it, heh.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
This is in my top 2 worst ZP's I've seen.

Try something other then Cock Jokes. Perhaps something Witty?

Opacic

Jun 25, 2008
I enjoyed the review, but it was particularly uh, off I suppose.

Battlefield has never been about Single Player. 1942 didn't even ship with a single player campaign at all, it was a purely multiplayer experience, unless you enjoyed playing with bots all day. That IS the essence of the Battlefield series.

To argue that this game is at all realistic is pretty facetious, the selling point of the single player campaign in this game that it is, essentially, a complete pisstake on Modern Warfare 2. Bad Company's SP campaign has always been a spoof of the war genre in general.

I've never noticed this so called 'blurry fuzz' that you saw when you were sniping, quite possibly a result of playing it on a dumbed down console version. Battlefield has and always will be for the PC.

Just because a game has destructible buildings (an incredibly useful feature in Multiplayer, I might add), does not mean it's going for realism. The only thing even slightly realistic is bullets being affected by gravity.

And about the dust, you could, you know, just move elsewhere?

Jaredin said:
meditator101 said:
Good to see someones finally criticizing this game!
After all the "OMG its so awesome it is better than anything" It has been getting nice to see a new view on it.

And, as usual. Cant disagree with any of it, heh.
This may shock you, but it may be because it is actually a pretty good game. Waiting around for someone to say something you agree with isn't a barometer of a game's quality.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Ya, from the sounds of it the first game was better. You had crazy amounts of guns, the difficulty wasn't extreme(actually it was too easy), and the plot was more deviant than helping one side win the war.

TV_Casualty

Mar 24, 2010
Everyone calling for "non-modern" shooters do realize that Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 are out right now, correct? You know, decent, completely playable games? Just because Yahtzee said a few unflattering about them, doesn't mean that they're ALL bad. Or, for that matter, that they don't exist.

At any rate, they're better buys than BF:BC2.

I mean, Christ, if you took Yahtzee's word for law, your video game collection would only consist of Half-Life 2, Portal, and Silent Hill 2. Which, of course, would be an awesome collection, but you also wouldn't have played anything in the past two years.

SuperBlackS14

May 22, 2009
That final scene made me wretch slightly...

...So, a new type of aerial vehicle based on imps... Great Plan is Great

Edit: TV_Casualty +1 Correct

nanaholic

Nov 11, 2009
I loved the first BC's campaign - the blowing up stuff mechanic was pretty intense and fun, but the best thing was that the story and characters didn't take itself too seriously, so after you have your cover being blown to bits and went through the usual gun fights, you get treated to some toilet and high school humor in between and it somehow worked (still loved the scene where Haggard was shooting his shotgun into the air while crossing over a border to chase for GOLD in the first one). BC2's campaign was dry with most of the humor gone (except the MW2 pokes, which if you didn't play MW2 it would just fly right over your head) and took itself way too seriously, yes, exactly like in a "hey I'm pretending to be MW2!" way. BC and MW occupied different spaces the way I saw it, and it's a damn shame that BC2 decides to ditch what made it fun in the first place to try to move into MW's space.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
BC2 is fun, at least, and you can't blame these new "realistic" shooters for trying to be epic.
But it's games like these and reviewers like Yahtzee that make me want to go into game development so I can make my game a reality:
A realistic cover based 3rd person shooter where the enemies start out as soldiers but further into the game they're all things like tigers with human heads wielding chainsaws and your character has a gun that shoots cobras.
It's called "Operation Groundhog" and it's rated M because your character is a sentient penis.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
ItsAPaul said:
Sounds like a realistic shooter being too realistic. My cover can be blown up? Then why the hell is this a game? I of course don't know from playing it since fps games are all terrible, but thats how MW2 is.
Because blowing stuff up is fun. You got someone camping in a house giving you trouble. Blow the house up around him. It makes things more dynamic. You just can't hide behind an indestructible wall and take potshots at people you actually have to move.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
I have to agree that the vision-obscuring dust gets incredibly annoying; especially in certain levels where it's a constant effect on the level in some places and obscures your vision of the AI enemies even though they're perfectly capable of seeing you. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to code in some detection for where particle effects are so AI enemies have their 'vision' obscured too?

I never had any problems with the mortar section myself, though. I only ever died once, and that's because I lagged behind. I find that you'll generally stay alive if you're in the middle of your NPC comrades instead of behind them.

TV_Casualty

Mar 24, 2010
Opacic said:
TV_Casualty said:
Bioshock 2.
Hey, you misspelled System Shock 2 there.
Ha. True, true.

However, no matter you how cynical you want to be, you can't deny that there were vast gameplay improvements between Bioshock 1 and 2.

And notice how I didn't mention "stellar storytelling." Wink wink. I don't think anyone could say that the story of Bio2 has the same gravitas and deep significance as the well-contained presentation in Bio1. But that doesn't make the game unplayable, and that certainly doesn't mean that it's not at least worth a rental.

But a bit off topic here...

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Whatever, he only discussed the single player, which is still better than MW2 IMO. The real price is the multiplayer, which is a goddam blast, and also better than MW2. My first time playing I got into a match of Rush on Island and it became the single most epic battle scene I've ever seen. And I generally dislike the abuse of the word epic, but nothing else could describe it. Other team had a few guys that were way higher in rank than anyone, and a few that seemed to be cheating, but my scrappy team valiantly fought them back for 45 minutes with pure chaos going on everywhere.

I typically love TF2 above all else in multiplayer, but damned if that wasn't the greatest experience I've ever had in an FPS, and it was entirely unscripted.
Opacic said:
TV_Casualty said:
Bioshock 2.
Hey, you misspelled System Shock 2 there.
That's an insult to System Shock 2. Bioshock 1 was an okay analog to SS2, Bioshock 2 is a big steaming pile that fixed bad game mechanics and tossed all good bits like atmosphere out the window.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Aww... he was secretly humping the Imp.
Pretty funny review, not the most although that button at the end was charming.

I actually really like this game online which is weird, because I do not enjoy pretty much every other online shooter. I understand that arena is not his cup of tea.